Latest post Wed, Nov 15 2017 4:26 PM by mschneider. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 24 2017 10:43 AM

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,201
    • Points 15,020
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Geeked [8-|] Questions RE: "How Avid Media Composer Uses a Computer"

Hi everyone. There's a new AvidBlog: "How Avid Media Composer Uses a Computer".

Here: http://www.avidblogs.com/how-avid-media-composer-uses-a-computer/

It is part of a group effort with Avid's Chief Architect Shailendra Mathur plus the awesome engineers on the architecture team Stephen Crocker, Markus Weber, Sharon Fincher and many others. 

Rooted in the Avid Intelligent Compute Architecture that launched in 2008 with MC3.0, this introductory-level blog covers the basics of how today's versions of Composer (up to MC 8.9.2) physically distribute the workloads of editing and playback throughout a computer.

Please post your questions below. When possible, Avid employees will step up and help answer your questions directly.

Thanks!!!

Chris Bove'

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Fri, Oct 27 2017 3:30 PM In reply to

• drowgun22
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 27 2017
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Re: Questions RE: "How Avid Media Composer Uses a Computer"

Chris, thanks for such an awesome post.  Possible you could explain the difference between using nVidia Quadro cards vs GeForce, aside from Avid certification?  Is this no longer an issue?

Eric

• Fri, Oct 27 2017 5:10 PM In reply to

• flashavid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • England
    • Posts 300
    • Points 3,715

Hi,

Great blog, all interesting information.

I have two questions about FX in media composer.

1 . I'm having problems playing back a spectramatte with a matte blur - if I don't add matte blur then the effect plays back fine - so is the GPU trying to compute the matte blur ?

my current GPU has 1GB memory.

2. I'm looking to upgrade the GPU - are CUDA cores important to have for media composer or not ?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

MC 8.9.2 - MacPro 2.66Ghz 12core 48GB ram - OS 10.12.6 - BM 4K Extreme - ATI HD5870 -SSD boot - 3 x 2TB internal WD caviar black media drives - CalDigit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 27 2017 7:29 PM In reply to

Great information here, Chris! Thanks for doing this!

Media Composer 8.9.3 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Oct 28 2017 4:33 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,201
    • Points 15,020

drowgun22:

...the difference between using nVidia Quadro cards vs GeForce...

To be honest, this is the one area I'm weakest. I'd love to get this answer directly from someone inside Avid who actually works on the team qualifying the cards. Or at least someone over them who makes the rules about how/why to qualify cards based on desired outcomes. 

I'm sure the data during qualification would be fascinating. 

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Sat, Oct 28 2017 4:39 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,201
    • Points 15,020

flashavid:

1 . ...if I don't add matte blur then the effect plays back fine - so is the GPU trying to compute the matte blur ?

my current GPU has 1GB memory.

2. I'm looking to upgrade the GPU - are CUDA cores important to have for media composer or not ?

RE: #1 - Good, detailed question. My first thought would be yes. During the making of this blog I learned a general sense of some FX being CPU-centric and some being engineered a bit more GPU-friendly. But as of yet, a list of exactly what effects are processed how/where doesn't exist.

RE: #2 - Oh man, really good question. As a comedy of errors, I've not had a deep-dive into anything CUDA-based for about 1-2 years. So again I'd love an Avid staffer to give some discussion on how the Avid Architecture approaches CUDA... if at all.

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Tue, Oct 31 2017 9:11 AM In reply to

Great Blog Chris and a really useful first step in undersdtanding more of whats happening under the hood of MC.

The whole GPU graphics card conundrum has been rolling on far too long to remain unresolved.

I've spent decades working on Avid systems and its always the same old question.

How much should I spend on a decent GPU card? and will MC use that to make my life faster?

My experience has shown that certainly before MC V8 a high end expensive card compared to a low end card made little difference. I've always avoided budget GPU cards but a older spec Nvidia card for a good price seemed to perform as well as a higher spec newer card when working in MC.

In part of course because nobody actually knew exactly when the GPU would be used so in a real life edit it was hard to measure.

For sure at verious times I had a range of systems with a range of grpahic cards an no editors favoured or avoided any particular machines. Indicating that performance wasn't affected either way.

I find it hard to belive there is nor record of what FX use GPU. And if thats true then somebody should be given the job of working that out.

I think one of the key issues is a good GPU card does make a big difference when using other NLE systems like Adobe or Resolve and that must lead to the impression that MC is missing a trick.

And where does all this fit in with the now forgotten conversations of a revised playback engine for MC?

Its a great start Chris and I really hope it can get some momentum and some clearer answers.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Oct 31 2017 1:28 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,657
    • Points 112,905
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

drowgun22

Let me check with the hardware team on this one.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Tue, Oct 31 2017 2:21 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,657
    • Points 112,905
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Got the answer........

Nvidia pushes the enterprise class Quadro series cards to all the PC workstations vendors.  You cannot buy a GeForce card on a PC workstation.

Since Avid only qualifies workstations, only the Quadro series are qualified.  OEM's also qualify Quadro series drivers in their own workstations.

The GeForce series is a consumer grade card.  They are not built with the same quality as Enterprise class.  These will run with MC and should work with GFx. However, GeForce cards in a workstation will never be qualified and has very limited testing.

Mac is a whole different ball game.  They flip between AMD and Nvidia when the price is right!

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Oct 31 2017 2:27 PM In reply to

I'm a firm beliver in HP workstations as Avid powerhouses. Fanastic build quality and reliability without an i price tag.

This link gives a lot of info on supported grpahics cards with HP systems:

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-6106ENW.pdf

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

-

• Tue, Oct 31 2017 3:37 PM In reply to

• drowgun22
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 27 2017
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Thanks for this Marianna!

So if I read this, the impression that I am getting is that the GeForce cards will work and MC will use it; but since the build quality is not as high as a Quadro, we run the risk of using a consumer grade card for sometimes 24/7 usage in a system and that AVID hasn't put through the paces, so some odd bugs may or may not appear. 

Are there any other known limitations by not using a qualified gpu?  The bang for the buck value on the high end GeForce cards has come a long way so it would be nice to know if we can expect any issues if we use them (or an "unqualified" gpu) to upgrade older/existing systems (nVidia just made Mac drivers for the Pascal based GeForce cards), or for custom built systems.

Eric

• Tue, Oct 31 2017 7:05 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,657
    • Points 112,905
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Unfortunately our test lab doesnt spend time on non qualified stuff so there would be know way of knowing.  The only places you will this info is from customers that braved it and tried to use a nonqualified gpu.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Nov 2 2017 8:15 AM In reply to

• flashavid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • England
    • Posts 300
    • Points 3,715

Oh well, 

Thanks for having a go Marianna  .. But as a Mac user my quest will have to continue to find answers.

cheers.

MC 8.9.2 - MacPro 2.66Ghz 12core 48GB ram - OS 10.12.6 - BM 4K Extreme - ATI HD5870 -SSD boot - 3 x 2TB internal WD caviar black media drives - CalDigit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 2 2017 12:35 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,657
    • Points 112,905
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I am sure there are folks here and on the Avid Editors of Facebook page that have gone outside the offical recommendations.  

See if you can get traction from that.... someone has to have tried it

marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Nov 2 2017 1:43 PM In reply to

I can chip in and add something here.

For many years I've modified the Avid qualified boards config file to allow us to use unsupported cards.

Almost always that would work fine. Very rarely we'd have immediate issues with enabling a card.

However we did often discover subtle render errors that occured because of these unsupported cards. Disabling the card would resolve the issue. For offline workstations this isn't really an issue but for finishing machines its a critical issue. These unpredicatble issues make it impossible to be sure in a finishing workflow that your card isn't introducing an unexpected change while rendering.

I've never had a card fail for 24/7 use don't forget even domestic cards are used by gamers 24/7. Fans get dusty and fan bearings need oiling but cards will last.

Its all about unexpected issues. So if you do need to use an unsuported card I'd make sure you test all the processes you use and check the results on external scopes to be sure its stable.

-

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller