Latest post Wed, Dec 6 2017 11:10 PM by George Angeludis. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 16 2017 1:23 PM

• jrhagan33
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 29 2012
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

LUTs Doubled up on Group Clips

Hi all,

We are using Sony F55 XAVC footage transcoded to DNX36 with an SLog2 to 709 LUT applied in the source settings. The clips were transcoded without the colour transformation box ticked so the LUT is not baked in to the media. We are running 8.9.1 on Z440s.

After grouping these clips we have noticed that the LUT appears to be doubling up on some of the grouped clips so that the resulting image is very saturated and contrasty. If we remove the LUT on the master clips then the group clip still looks like it has a LUT applied but it isn't doubled up. So it seems the group clip is adding another layer of the LUT on top of the master clip's source settings.

I know one solution to this would be to re-transcode with the colour transformation applied but production do not really want to commit to a specific LUT in the offline and we do not really want to have to re-transcode and re-group everything! 

Anyone else encountered this at all?

• Mon, Oct 16 2017 2:44 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,717
    • Points 113,660
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: LUTs Doubled up on Group Clips

jrhagan33

What OS are you on just so I have all the scoop for the case I am going to create to get support to look at this.

I am also going to try it on 8.9.2

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Oct 18 2017 9:35 PM In reply to

• Erik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 5 2006
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 167
    • Points 2,020

I'm seeing the same thing. I'm on Win10 using MC 8.9.1

Recently shot an interview for a project. We used two Blackmagic URSA Mini cameras which shoot flat for better dynamic range. Of course until graded the footage looks pretty plain. I do color work in Resolve using a round trip process with AAF's.

Because of this round trip process, I don't do any color work until I get the edit nailed down. So for this project for the sake of exporting out a quick assembly of the soundbites the client had selected I used a lut I'd built in Resolve based off the footage.

Footage is Prores 422 shot in UHD and AMA linked because the footage is massive. We didn't have synced timecod so I created a grouped clip using in points I had placed in the footage based on a clapboard. This is all fine.

Next I added the lut using the Source Settings> Color Encoding> Color Management settings and then I added and applied this lut to just one of the camera clips. The other is a wide angle which I don't need to worry about for this rough assembly.

I edited the grouped clip into a sequence based on edit notes from the client.

Next I transcoded the sequence so that I could export and encode something for the client to look at. I chose to apply the color encoding during transcode.

MC did its thing and created several source clips and grouped clips and a new transcoded sequence. However, just like the OP it appeared blown out as MC seems to have applied the lut twice.

I removed the color encoding from the source clips and in the source window they look OK. However, the sequence still looks awful. I chose to refresh the color adapters using Refresh Sequence but this double lut look remains.

The grouped clips do not have a "source settings" option or any obvious way of adding or removing a lut.

I deleted these transcoded source and grouped clips and sequence.

Next I transcoded the sequence again this time not choosing to apply the color encoding.

MC again created several transcoded source clips and grouped clips and a new sequence. The footage still appears to be blown out as though the lut has been applied twice. I selected all the transcoded source clips, chose Source Settings and removed the lut from the source clips.

I refreshed the sequence and now even though the transcoded source clips do not have a lut applied, the sequence and grouped clips appear as they should with only one instance of the lut applied.

So somewhere, the lut is being applied within the group clip without a way of controlling it. I say within, because the lut is only applied to the one clip that I had originally intend to apply to and not the wide angle clip. So similar to the sequence remembering the lut until the sequence is refreshed, the grouped clips seem to be stuck remembering that that lut was applied to a clip within it.

MC 8.9.1 Dell Precision 7710 mobile workstation, 64GB of memory, Xeon E3-1535M v5 @2.9Ghz, Nvidia Quadro M5000m. Running Win10 64bit. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 18 2017 10:47 PM In reply to

• Erik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 5 2006
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 167
    • Points 2,020

Also, just to clarify, the original sequence and group clips that reference the AMA linked media do not exhibit this problem. I can remove the lut from the AMA source clips and the grouped clip is updated to reflect that. I can refresh the sequence and the lut is removed.

It's only when the sequence is transcoded that the transcoded grouped clips show this lut issue. 

MC 8.9.1 Dell Precision 7710 mobile workstation, 64GB of memory, Xeon E3-1535M v5 @2.9Ghz, Nvidia Quadro M5000m. Running Win10 64bit. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 28 2017 4:25 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,400

We're also seeing the doubled LUTs on group clips after a re-link. We are running 8.8.5 but we have seen this problem in earlier versions of Avid as well. It's like the Source Clip has a LUT applied and the group clip has another LUT applied. Which is interesting becuase there is no way that I have seen to put a LUT on or remove a LUT from a group clip.

This makes our re-link to high bit rate clips much more labor intensive of a process.

Easier work arounds greatly appreciated.

HP Z400, z220, and z420 workstations with 8GB of RAM and nVidia Quadro 2000 graphics cards. Windows 7 64-bit SP1. ISIS 5000 4.2. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 29 2017 9:15 AM In reply to

You import the LUT at project or shared?

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(385.08)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 8.9.3 with Symphony • PhraseFind • ScriptSync Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital MediaVienna Frames

• Wed, Nov 29 2017 12:54 PM In reply to

• jakeheat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 476
    • Points 5,670

I get the same thing on the Mac. It often occurs after I've consolidated or transcoded clips within a project.

Media Composer 7.0.4 New MacPro 6 core - 32 GB RAM old MacPros 3.33Ghz iMacs, Macbook Pros. BM, AJA, Matrox After Effects, etc [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Tue, Dec 5 2017 4:06 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,400

LUTs are imported to Project.

HP Z400, z220, and z420 workstations with 8GB of RAM and nVidia Quadro 2000 graphics cards. Windows 7 64-bit SP1. ISIS 5000 4.2. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 6 2017 11:10 PM In reply to

Delete them from project and see if there are still there as shared (meaning being imported twice).

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(385.08)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 8.9.3 with Symphony • PhraseFind • ScriptSync Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital MediaVienna Frames

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller