Latest post Thu, Sep 28 2017 6:52 PM by Rich Laws. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 25 2017 3:30 PM

• Rich Laws
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2012
    • Posts 35
    • Points 335

Spanned media file clips have a blue icon on Interplay Access (partial?) after update from Media Indexer

Hi,

We have noticed a problem that began showing up with earlier IPE 3.x builds that did not exist in IPE 2.x.  The issue is that ALL spanned media clips (regardless of format and mostly for our P2 ingest clients) that are checked in show up as "partial offline" (BLUE media status icon) AFTER you do "Update Status from Media Indexer" with Interplay Access.   The QM_TRACK_INFO shows that all tracks are the same length and when the spanned clip is brought into Media Composer there is no offline media on the editors.  All content is available.  AAF dump and examination of the media and clip seem to indicate correct track lengths (even with the cumulative length with the span). 

Ingesting the same clip on an IPE 2.78 system here retains the "green" online status (Regardless of IPWS version).  There doesn't seem to be any harm to the customers other than the "blue" partial status on Access which they are concerned about loss of media. (all frames are present on editors)

To summarize - creating a master clip that contains tracks with multiple media files results in partial offline status on Access after "update from media indexer".  The same issue did not exist in in earlier Interplay versions.

IPE v278 - WS < 3.60  and > 3.7  - ok - spanned clips stay green  (

IPE v350 - WS < 3.60 and > 3.7 - spanned clips turn blue with update from media indexer

IPE v350 - WS  >= 3.60 and < 3.8 - spanned clips show as audio only (NOW FIXED with WS 3.8) IPE v380 - WS >= 3.60 and < 3.8 - spanned clips show as audio only   (NOW FIXED with WS 3.8) IPE v380 - WS <  3.60 and > 3.7 - spanned clips turn blue with update from media indexer

If this is something that can be looked at, we (and I'm sure our P2 clients) would appreciate it.  I have posted media and an AAFs (exported from AutoIngest AND Interplay Access) as examples.  We would expect it to only be address in current and future versions of whichever product determined to be having a problem with the media.

Samples are here:

ftp://ftp.nltek.com/nlttemp/Avid/AccessPartialOfflineStatusForSpannedMedia/AVCI100.zip

ftp://ftp.nltek.com/nlttemp/Avid/AccessPartialOfflineStatusForSpannedMedia/DV25.zip

username password for FTP is "nlt"

Please let us know if this can be investigated and if there are any questions.   We can assist in any way with this investigation....

Rich

• Mon, Sep 25 2017 4:19 PM In reply to

• Vadym
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 17 2014
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,225
    • Avid Developer Moderator
      Avid Employee

Re: Spanned media file clips have a blue icon on Interplay Access (partial?) after update from Media Indexer

Hi Rich,

Do you still see the partial online status if the spanned media in question is ingested using MediaComposer or Media Director etc?

In this case I'd recommend concerned clients to contact Avid support so this can be followed up by dev teams.

Thanks,

Vadym

• Mon, Sep 25 2017 4:49 PM In reply to

• Rich Laws
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 35
    • Points 335

Re: Spanned media file clips have a blue icon on Interplay Access (partial?) after update from Media Indexer

Hi Vadym,

Let us look again at the editor and see if it can ingest in a similar fashion (multiple files per track).    Not being familiar with Media Director and P2 multiple card ingest I will need to do some research on that.  As a side note we modelled our software's behavior on P2 import (circa 2008).   

I suspect that the issue is because of a "fractional" audio sample length due to converting the cumulative audio track lengths and having it be off by a tiny portion of video track length.  I can't quite seem to nail down the exact issue though through experimention.

Rich

• Thu, Sep 28 2017 6:52 PM In reply to

• Rich Laws
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 35
    • Points 335

Hi again Vadym,

NOTE - I also sent this as a private email to you and we will reach out to a couple of clients using P2 with AutoIngest to have them verify with Legacy P2 Import.

I reproduced the same issue using Media Composer 8.4.5 with the latest IPE and Interplay Access version 3.8.1.  (same experiment on Media Composer 6.5.4 - so I don't think media creation changed).  Also - Issue does not exist on IPE 2.X - we still have a version running here of older Interplay systems.

Process:

Requires a P2 card with a spanned clips (more than 1 media file per track, generally long clip - 9.5 minutes for DV25)

With Media Composer 8.4.5 or higher - change project settings to enable Legacy P2 Import (LINK menu)

Under file, - Import P2 -> Clips To Bin

Verify media is accessible in editor

Consolidate cllip, no format change, to shared storage.  (this will make one Avid op-atom mxf per P2 mxf file) Check in Clip to Interplay.

On Access - clip in folder shows green status.  Update from Media Indexer - clip goes to partial (blue) status

Our FTP site has samples (username/password is "nlt")

Imported:

ftp://ftp.nltek.com/nlttemp/Avid/AccessPartialOfflineStatusForSpannedMedia/MediaComposer8.4.5/dv25.zip

Source P2 Media:

ftp://ftp.nltek.com/nlttemp/Avid/AccessPartialOfflineStatusForSpannedMedia/MediaComposer8.4.5/SourceMedia.zip

Please let us know if there are any questions.

Rich 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller