Latest post Sun, Sep 10 2017 7:23 PM by DStone. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 8 2017 10:05 PM

Nablet release XAVC S plugin

Details here   

Cost $89US.  The info says it will work with MC 7.0.7, amd MC 8.3 and up.  MC | First  8.8.5 and 8.9

Demo version available so a cost effective chance to test whether this is significantly better than the current Avid and other alternatives.

• Sat, Sep 9 2017 6:04 PM In reply to

Re: Nablet release XAVC S plugin

Having choices is good so why should I complain...

Well, I saw the Nablet release 2 days ago and from the moment I saw it the immediate question that popped up: 'Do Drastic, Nablet, Panasonic, Red, etc... not have occasional communications with Avid that involves feature roadmaps?

That we live in a market where multple companies can be developing the same plugins is understandable, but that the host software company is part 'competitor' in this game... I don't know. I do wonder if Nablet knew what Avid was about to implement in 8.9.1 and how they feel now.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sat, Sep 9 2017 9:41 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,175
    • Points 41,155
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Drastic.TV has a XAVC-S plug-in available now as well. I believe the cost is $89. It's currently on sale through Ee Scream Factory for $49. You need a link to it (I tried to find it directly on their site and couldn't). The link is:

https://www.macvideopromo.com/products/drastic-mediareactor-ama-plug-in-for-mac-win?mc_cid=70d7dd572c&mc_eid=66b8590bd0

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Sep 10 2017 8:11 AM In reply to

Hi Dave,

The Drastic plugin has been available for about a 1 year. In general the Drastic mediareactor plugin is a pretty good deal. It at least allows you to link to most types of media to perform a transcode as often performance issues affect playback.

What worries me here is related to the 'openness' issue at Avid from the old days. When Avid realized using 3rd party i/o and having 3rd parties create plugins to link to their camera media files and metadata was the way to go, the responsibility was migrated from Avid to those 3rd parties to decide where the commercial interests were. So the absence of the XAVC-S plugin was considered a matter of a commercial decision by Sony or Nablet. A gap where Drastic stept in.

Then after 1-2 years for whatever reason Nablet decides the XAVC-S has commercial value and finally releases the plugin... to find themselves competing with Avid that gives it away for free at almost the exact same moment.

So the thought popped up that after 2 years of complaining at Sony/Nablet, it is Avid that proves them right for not developing the plugin for so long. Now regarding XAVC-S does this affect us? No... maybe that the free plugin will never read timecode correctly. Who knows? The question is: How eager will the 3rd parties be to keep developing plugins this way? XAVC-Z???  Oh oh.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sun, Sep 10 2017 7:23 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,175
    • Points 41,155
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    The Drastic plugin has been available for about a 1 year.
    This is not MediaReactor full, just the single XAVC-S plug-in (so you can't link to all the things you can with MediaReactor).

There is a big difference between the Nablet plug-in and Avid's. Nablet's plug-in will run as far back as MC 7 whereas Avid's is only for MC 8.9 and later. Furthermore, until the bugs in the Avid generic plug-in are fixed, you're better off using the Nablet/Drastic plug-ins or re-wrapping until then. And there's also a question of what metadata each of the plug-ins support. Nablet has a demo (watermarked) version if anyone wants to check (here's where having an A7S/A7S II would come in handy).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller