Latest post Sun, Sep 10 2017 4:08 PM by Telegram!. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 8 2017 8:37 PM

• gaspar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Montreal, Quebec
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,230

How to get rid of Control-Shift-Mouse Click for audio keyframe

Hi all,

When I'm working with audio in the timeline, I often want to select a clip or two and shift them up or down onto another track. In order to stop them moving laterally, I hold ctrl-shift. Unfortunately, ctrl-shift-mouse click is also the keyboard shortcut to add an audio keyframe if you happen to hover over the "rubber band".

So, what often happens is I hold down the shortcut, select the clip to move it and, instead of it moving as I want, a keyframe is added and the volume changed. Then I have to undo, select again more carefully to avoid hovering over the rubber band and try again.

Is there a way to get rid of this keyboard shortcut? I know how to customize shortcuts using the command palette but not how to change one that depends on a mouse click.

Thanks!

Gigabyte X58A-UD7, Core i7 920, 24G GSKill Ram, Quadro FX 1800, 2XDell U2410, Win 7 64bit with MC8.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 9 2017 6:17 AM In reply to

• Telegram!
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 28 2006
    • Posts 991
    • Points 11,525

Re: How to get rid of Control-Shift-Mouse Click for audio keyframe

I don't use rubberbands, but I do the ctrl+shift+ mouse-move-to-another-track (constrained) all the time. I am reading your post literally and I wonder: is it true that you first hold down the ctrl+shift modifiers and then you select the clip(s) to mouse move? I do the opposite: usually lasso-to-highlight my clip(s), then press/hold those modifier keys, then do the constrained move by mouse dragging clip(s) up or down.

If that doesn't do the trick, I suppose you could set up a workspace that removes rubber banding and engage that before doing your ctrl+shift maneuvers. 

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 10 2017 2:56 AM In reply to

• gaspar
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal, Quebec
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,230

Hi Telegram!,

I think you must not run into the same problem because you don't use the rubberbands.

And no, I don't hold down ctrl+shift to select the clips, that doesn't work. I hold Shift to select the clips I want (or lassoo them), then Ctrl-Shift to move them up or down, which is when I run into my problem.

If I turn off "volume" in the audio data display, then of course, I don't have this problem, but I can't use rubber band audio control, which I like.

Having a separate workspace without the volume data display would work, but would be slow as hell, I would think. I was hoping to just be able to change the keyboard shorcut, which I can't figure out how to do...

Try turning on the volume in the audio data and you'll quickly run into the same trouble, I'll bet.

Thanks for the reply!

Gigabyte X58A-UD7, Core i7 920, 24G GSKill Ram, Quadro FX 1800, 2XDell U2410, Win 7 64bit with MC8.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 10 2017 5:24 AM In reply to

• Telegram!
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 991
    • Points 11,525

OK, I turned on Rubberbanding, etc. and I see the added key frames problem, but I noticed on my system v885 that with

Ctrl + Shift  held down over a highlighted clip, my mouse pointer turns into a FINGER when the mouse is resting on the rubber band... so all things being equal, do not click if you see the FINGER and you should be good to drag, with no keyframes added.

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 10 2017 3:35 PM In reply to

• gaspar
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal, Quebec
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,230

You're absolutely right about it turning into a finger. However, when I'm trying to work quickly I find these visual cues too slow to be useful. Maybe I'll have to resort to turning off rubberbanding until I need it.

Thanks a million for your responses and time.

• Sun, Sep 10 2017 4:08 PM In reply to

• Telegram!
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 991
    • Points 11,525

You are very welcome. Sometimes I say to myself : slow down to speed up. So much of timeline editing is based on prior experience-- pressing a button and seeing the expected result, or immediately noticing when something isn't right, before cconinuing. Time pressure is variable on any particular day, but as an editor you can own your confidence.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller