Latest post Fri, Sep 8 2017 7:53 PM by RalphC. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 7 2017 7:10 PM

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 5
    • Points 45

Run Media Composer virtually

Hello everyone!

I'm not sure where to put this thread, so I apologise in advance if I misplaced it.

My university is studying the possibility to run Media Composer virtually on a local server, to which zero clients would connect to work. The idea is to assess if it is more cost effectiive than to invest in several workstations.

In Media Composer's feature page I read the following: 

"Run Media Composer virtually—just added

For broadcasters and media enterprises, Media Composer is now available as a “virtual” license that runs on a single server in your facility, enabling multiple editors to access the software and projects remotely using an Internet-connected computer or zero client. Not only will you save time and money on software deployment, upgrades, power, and hardware, it gives you more access flexibility and easier centralized management of your software and systems."

Can anyone enlight more on this subject? Is this feature what we need to realize our project as described above? What would this require?

Thank you in advance.

iMac 21,5" - i7 3,1 GHz - 16 GB RAM, nVidia 650M CalDigit AV Drive 1 TB [view my complete system specs]

Miguel Cunha
    Teach Support Office
    Universidade do Minho
    Braga
    Portigal

• Thu, Sep 7 2017 7:36 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,270
    • Points 13,750
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Run Media Composer virtually

Hi Miguel,

Here is some background on the enviroment:

What is VM?  A virtual machine (VM) is an emulation of a computer system as a substitute for a real (physical) machine.  VM’s provide the functionality needed to run entire operating systems and the applications and programs that run within them. A virtual machine, usually known as a “guest,” is created within another computing environment referred to as a "host." Multiple virtual machines can exist within a single host at one time.  A hypervisor facilitates abstraction of physical hardware resources allowing users to create and manage virtual machines as well as manage allocation of physical resources.

What is PCoIP?  PC-over-IP,  is a high performance display protocol used to  deliver a virtual desktop to an endpoint device. 

What is VDI? Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI)  is a desktop virtualization approach in which a desktop operating system runs and is managed in a data center.  The desktop image is delivered over a network to an endpoint device, which allows the user to interact with the OS and its applications as if it were running locally.   All of the data still resides in the data center.

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 8 2017 7:53 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,270
    • Points 13,750
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Run Media Composer virtually

Here is the full documentation for MC virtual machine.

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller