Latest post Fri, Mar 23 2018 3:20 AM by Mixolydian. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 5 2017 5:30 AM

    • Twosheds
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 15 2006
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Points 895

    NEMFileWriter has detected upstream pipe stall

    Since updating to Media Composer 8.9.0 and now 8.9.1 I have noticed that we are getting more upstream pipe stall errors. Mostly when transcoding RED R3D media. RED Epic, RED One and Dragon media. 

    We are running mid 2012 MacPros, 2 x 2.4 GHz 6 core, 28GB RAM. Mac OSX 10.11.6. Nitris DX hardware.

    This is occuring on 2 different workstations, a third with Avid DNxIO harware does not give the error.

    The files are stored on a MacMini file server and are transcoding at DNxHD185x to an Editshare storage system. 

    I have tested the transfer rate to the network drives, we are getting read/write 300MB/Sec from the MacMini and read/write 800+ MB/Sec from Editshare with no obvious interruptions.

    Similar sized Quicktime files transcode without a problem.

    Storing the files locally and trancoding doesn't help neither does transcoding to a local drive.

    If I transcode in the background, while it is much slower we do not get the error.

    Does anyone have any suggestions?

    thanks

     

    Media Composer with Symphony option v8.10.0, MacOSX 10.11.6, Avid DNxIO [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 6 2017 6:18 AM In reply to

    • gorky
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2005
    • Posts 119
    • Points 1,440

    Re: NEMFileWriter has detected upstream pipe stall

    I have the same issue with mp4 files in 8.9.1.

    Never had this bug in previous versions.

  • Tue, Sep 12 2017 7:06 AM In reply to

    • Twosheds
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 15 2006
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Points 895

    Re: NEMFileWriter has detected upstream pipe stall

    It seems to be some sort of incompatibility between the latest RED AMA plugin, Nitris DX and Media Composer 8.8 and 8.9.

    Media Composer 8.7.x works fine with both Nitris DX and latest RED AMA plugin. If I install an older RED AMA plugin and use Media Composer 8.9.1, I also don't get the error. So that is what I've done for now.

    As I said in the earlier post, running transcoding in the background also works.

     

     

    Media Composer with Symphony option v8.10.0, MacOSX 10.11.6, Avid DNxIO [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 25 2017 8:56 PM In reply to

    • Mike
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 21 2014
    • MA
    • Posts 20
    • Points 200

    Re: NEMFileWriter has detected upstream pipe stall

    I'm having the same problem with XAVC S files from my Sony cameras. I'm running 8.9.1 on my Macbook pro. With 10.12.6

    XAVC S should work and it's only a 9 minute clip. Import does not work still for this codec. 

    Late 2016 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 quad core i7, 16GB 2133 MHz DDR3 RAM, Radeon Pro 455 2048 MB + Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 23 2018 3:20 AM In reply to

    • Mixolydian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 23 2018
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

    Re: NEMFileWriter has detected upstream pipe stall

    In my case, the "NEMFileWriter has detected upstream pipe stall" exception was killing my rendering batches, and was caused by me updating NewBlue Titler Pro 2 to Titler Pro for Avid (build 180117).  I could eventually get through the rendering, but it meant having to do it one or two clips at a time.  Even that failed sometimes, and it took far too much of my time to sit there and babysit.

    My workstation is a Windows 8.1 notebook, about 3 years old, running Avid Media Composer 8.6.0, with an Intel video card and an NVIDIA video card "teaming up" to handle display duties.

    Avid 's compatibility matrix indicates MC 8.6.0 requires a somewhat old NVIDIA driver, and NewBlue suggests that Titler Pro is too resource hungry for it to be happy with just any old video card and driver.

    What I know for certain is that the problem showed up soon after the Titler update, and ended immediately when I uninstalled the new version, and reverted back to NewBlue Titler Pro 2 (build 151015).

    Given that, I suggest people with this upstream pipe stall problem look with suspicion upon possibly troubled relationships between Media Composer, plugins, and video hardware + driver.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller