Latest post Tue, Sep 12 2017 7:06 AM by Twosheds. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 5 2017 5:30 AM

• Twosheds
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 15 2006
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 82
    • Points 870

NEMFileWriter has detected upstream pipe stall

Since updating to Media Composer 8.9.0 and now 8.9.1 I have noticed that we are getting more upstream pipe stall errors. Mostly when transcoding RED R3D media. RED Epic, RED One and Dragon media. 

We are running mid 2012 MacPros, 2 x 2.4 GHz 6 core, 28GB RAM. Mac OSX 10.11.6. Nitris DX hardware.

This is occuring on 2 different workstations, a third with Avid DNxIO harware does not give the error.

The files are stored on a MacMini file server and are transcoding at DNxHD185x to an Editshare storage system. 

I have tested the transfer rate to the network drives, we are getting read/write 300MB/Sec from the MacMini and read/write 800+ MB/Sec from Editshare with no obvious interruptions.

Similar sized Quicktime files transcode without a problem.

Storing the files locally and trancoding doesn't help neither does transcoding to a local drive.

If I transcode in the background, while it is much slower we do not get the error.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

Media Composer with Symphony option v8.9.1, MacOSX 10.11.6 Nitris DX v3, Avid DNxIO [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 6 2017 6:18 AM In reply to

• gorky
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2005
    • Posts 115
    • Points 1,400

Re: NEMFileWriter has detected upstream pipe stall

I have the same issue with mp4 files in 8.9.1.

Never had this bug in previous versions.

• Tue, Sep 12 2017 7:06 AM In reply to

• Twosheds
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 15 2006
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 82
    • Points 870

Re: NEMFileWriter has detected upstream pipe stall

It seems to be some sort of incompatibility between the latest RED AMA plugin, Nitris DX and Media Composer 8.8 and 8.9.

Media Composer 8.7.x works fine with both Nitris DX and latest RED AMA plugin. If I install an older RED AMA plugin and use Media Composer 8.9.1, I also don't get the error. So that is what I've done for now.

As I said in the earlier post, running transcoding in the background also works.

Media Composer with Symphony option v8.9.1, MacOSX 10.11.6 Nitris DX v3, Avid DNxIO [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller