Latest post Mon, Sep 11 2017 3:59 PM by Joachim Claus. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 1 2017 9:04 PM

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 674
    • Points 10,220

GH5 4K files will NOT transcode. Constant Errors.

I can link to GH5 files and they show up in my timeline and they will play (not very well, but I can see them).  So, that's something. But anytime I try to take that linked file and transcode it, Avid simply says, "nope! here's some error codes about my pipeline!"  

Needless to say, my faith in Avid as an editing platform is not strong.  GH5 4K files are something that every NLE that charges money should be able to use and handle very, very well. 

Any tips to make this train roll? Premiere (yet again) seems to have much, much stronger technology in this area. 

I'm using .mov files at 150mb/sec. 4K.  Incredibly common these days - nothing fancy at all. 

Media Composer 8.X (usually newest release), Avid matrix-recommended versions of both Nvidia driver and Quicktime, Matrox Mini MX02, Self-built machine... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Fri, Sep 1 2017 9:52 PM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 15 2010
    • los angeles
    • Posts 546
    • Points 6,155

Re: GH5 4K files will NOT transcode. Constant Errors.

what version of mc are you using?

how are you linking the clips? what plug -in?

mc 8.9.1 - QT essential 7.7.9 - win 10 pro64 creators - nVidia gtx1080 OC (385.41) - intel i7 6800k@4.1ghz water cooled by corsair H100i V2 - MSI X99A... [view my complete system specs]

the time you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted time...

• Tue, Sep 5 2017 3:07 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 674
    • Points 10,220

Current version. I'm doing a simple transcode. Trying to use Raster Dimensions of "Source dimensions" and "Target Video Resolution" as high as possible, but keep getting crashes.

I see no place to change any plug-in.  Nothing in the Consolidate/Transcode menu for that.  If there's some obscure setting deep in the sofware I need to change, I'd love to hear more about such things.

Whatever crazy "Avid-workaround" I have to do, I'm more than happy to do it.

Media Composer 8.X (usually newest release), Avid matrix-recommended versions of both Nvidia driver and Quicktime, Matrox Mini MX02, Self-built machine... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Sep 5 2017 4:28 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,175
    • Points 41,155
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I think this is related to the XAVC-S issue, which will also not transcode long clips (over 20 minutes won't work, under 10 works; the exact time at which is breaks is unknown). If you've been trying to transcode clips over 10 minutes, try one under and see if that works.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Sep 5 2017 4:33 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 674
    • Points 10,220

I have had one successfully converet (the first one I tried which was under 10 minutes) but have all subsequent clips fail (including the short one when tried again). So you may be right - although that wouldn't explain the continued failure of that short clip when tried again.

This makes the process ever-so-frustrating.  Being successful once is almost worse than never being successful.  Currently, I'm trying some 3rd party converters, but things like this are making me wonder if Avid is worth all the hoops I need to jump through to do literally anything with the software.

Avid, you are hanging on by a thread.  If it wasn't for the fluid-morph effect, I would have moved on to more professional software long ago.

• Tue, Sep 5 2017 4:39 PM In reply to

I think this raises a good point that held true for many decades now.

If using Avid is important because of the way the editor edits and its place in the Post and Broadcast world then users tend to avoid (or find 3rd party solutions) for untested or unestablished sources.

If quick ingest of new formats is important and the NLE less so then MC maynot be the tool. I know Post houses that use a variety of tools based on the balamce of those 2.

XAVC-S support is new to MC and clearly its not perfect yet. Luckily I've not had to engage with GH5 footage and I've not heard Post houses moaning so I don't think the impacts that big yet.

Hopefully Avid will get it sorted and then we can all breath again, until the next new format hits the shelves as the must have...

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Sep 5 2017 4:47 PM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 863
    • Points 11,110

DStone:
    I think this is related to the XAVC-S issue

Panasonic GH5 does not use XAVC-S. It uses h.254 wrapped either in QuickTime (MOV-file),or in MP4. The format is the same as with my AG-DVX200, which link in both formats. I use QT-files,  and transcode without problems.

With installation of MC 8.9.1 I had permament transcode errors with Back Ground service. I uninstalled and reinstalled MC, and BG-services run now fluently, also for transcode. It may be a trial to uninstall and reinstall MC.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY M4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Tue, Sep 5 2017 5:13 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 674
    • Points 10,220

So, then I guess that currently, Avid simply does not have the technology in their NLE to handle 4k from a GH5?  That seems to be what I'm hearing.  The NLE simply is not capable enough to tackle this super common format?  A format that is not "new" by any definition of the word.  I guess I'm just having a very hard time believing that this could be the case in this day and age.  It's like if Microsoft Office couldn't handle the number "8" and we had to use a workaround every time we wanted to use the number "8" in a document. 

I have a very specialized need for the fluid-morph tool with the work that I do.  That's why I take this abuse from Avid.  But for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone else in the world is still using this dinosaur besides me. What a hot mess.

Tried the same footage in Premiere, and it works like a dream. Just like I expect it to. And I can add blending modes natively. And have a nice title tool. And the UI looks acceptable.  Could someone who works at Avid explain why this is?     

• Tue, Sep 5 2017 6:10 PM In reply to

GH5 works fine here under 8.9.1/377.55 drivers.

Maybe the problem is at 10bit files.

I'll get back to that in a while Atomike.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro 2000D(377.55)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 8.9.1 with Symphony • PhraseFind • ScriptSync Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital MediaVienna Frames

• Tue, Sep 5 2017 6:17 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 674
    • Points 10,220

I'm using (and shot on) 8-bit, and not 10-bit for the sole reason that I knew 10-bit might be a problem for Avid.  I never expected that I would have problems with an 8-bit file.  However, your success gives me some hope.

I will look at my video driver and see if changing that may help.  I appreciate this feedback.

EDIT: MC Matrix shows 377.11 is what I should be using, but I'm downloading 377.55 as a test. Will report back.

EDIT 2: Now using 377.55 and seeing no difference at all. Still constant crashing while transcoding. A swing and a miss.

• Tue, Sep 5 2017 6:22 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,375
    • Points 15,125

Hello,

I would check out which AMA plug-in connects GH5 clips. The generic plug-in contains a TC reading error and shortens in some codecs the frame by frame (resolved in another thread and confirmed by Avid). Try to manually select the AMA Quicktime plug-in.

V.

AVID MC8.9.1 - dongle, INTEL Core i7-950,Gigabyte-GA-EX58-UD5, Quadro P2000 - driver 385.08, RAM 24GB - 6 x DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.9.5, W10 -... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 5 2017 7:04 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,175
    • Points 41,155
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Joachim Claus:
    Panasonic GH5 does not use XAVC-S. It uses h.254 wrapped either in QuickTime (MOV-file),or in MP4. The format is the same as with my AG-DVX200, which link in both formats. I use QT-files,  and transcode without problems.
    I wasn't referring to XAVC-S directly, It's more a reference to the new plug-in. If you shoot using the MOV container, then it should use the QT plug-in. If you shoot MP4 then it should use the generic plug-in. XAVC also uses MP4, and we know it has a transcode error (background and foreground).

Which leads to the question: Atomike, are you using MP4 or QT MOV containers?

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Sep 5 2017 7:10 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 674
    • Points 10,220

DStone:

Which leads to the question: Atomike, are you using MP4 or QT MOV containers?

Good thought to check this. From my first post:

Atomike:

I'm using .mov files at 150mb/sec. 4K

Regarding the plug-in, I have no idea how to change which AMA plugin I'm using. I see no option or place where this would be possible to change.

• Tue, Sep 5 2017 7:19 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,375
    • Points 15,125

Atomike:
    Regarding the plug-in, I have no idea how to change which AMA plugin I'm using. I see no option or place where this would be possible to change.

In the "Source Browser," click the mouse in the Plug-in column (now I do not know whether it is left or right) and manually select the QT plug-in.

V.

AVID MC8.9.1 - dongle, INTEL Core i7-950,Gigabyte-GA-EX58-UD5, Quadro P2000 - driver 385.08, RAM 24GB - 6 x DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.9.5, W10 -... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 5 2017 7:46 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 674
    • Points 10,220

Ok, after chaning the plug-in to "Quicktime" (thanks for that info!) I now get green screens. Solid green both as just a linked AMA file, and also green when trasnscoded.  The file will transcode without crashing, but since I only get a green screen, that seems like a hollow victory.

So, the Quicktime plugin seems to actually work worse. 

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller