Latest post Thu, Aug 31 2017 3:58 PM by DStone. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 30 2017 7:44 PM

• teamhurst
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 6 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Second Monitor Problem with Media Composer on Laptop

I use MC 8.5 on a HP ZBook Laptop for cutting news packages.  I've added a second monitor for reading email and other computer needs.  In my truck I have the extra monitor mounted above the laptop.  The system will allow me to extend the monitor to either side but if I try to extend it above MC gives an alert that "a minimum screen height of 768 pixels is required".  The real issue is that I must move my cursor past screen right for it to appear on the second monitor that is mounted above the main screen and that just isn't easy to get used to.

Any Ideas?

Eric

• Wed, Aug 30 2017 7:57 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,265
    • Points 13,725
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Second Monitor Problem with Media Composer on Laptop

Give this a shot, from Control Panel from where you set multiple monitors.

(Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display\Screen Resolution)

You would see two monitors with numbering... Just swap drag them left/right, up and down wherever you want. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 30 2017 11:01 PM In reply to

teamhurst:
    The system will allow me to extend the monitor to either side but if I try to extend it above MC
    FWIW I have had no luck finding a way to move the cursor through the top of one monitor to get to a second (or third) monitor with PC's.
    It was with Mac's at one time. Last used this function with a 3 screen setup  more than 5 years ago and I have a vague feeling it was using BM Decklink 3D extreme card for the third screen with a specific version of a BM driver. 

• Wed, Aug 30 2017 11:49 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,220
    • Points 41,650
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I've a 3 monitor setup (two 23" side by side and a 46" on top) and I've no issues with moving up to the big montitor. My display setup in the NVidia control panel amd Display Settings dialogs are both set to this configuration.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Aug 31 2017 2:49 PM In reply to

• teamhurst
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Thanks Ralph but that's the process I've used to no avail.

Eric

• Thu, Aug 31 2017 2:52 PM In reply to

• teamhurst
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Dave, I assume the top monitor is of higher or equal resolution than the main?   The monitor I'm using is 1600 x 900 and the laptop is 1920 x 1080.  I'll try a different monitor.

Thanks,

Eric

• Thu, Aug 31 2017 3:02 PM In reply to

• teamhurst
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Also Media Composer is the only program that has a problem with it.  It works fine until I launch MC.

Hmmmm

• Thu, Aug 31 2017 3:03 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,265
    • Points 13,725
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

teamhurst:

Thanks Ralph but that's the process I've used to no avail.

Eric

Are you set up this way?

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 31 2017 3:58 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,220
    • Points 41,650
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

teamhurst:
    Dave, I assume the top monitor is of higher or equal resolution than the main?
    The two monitors on the bottom are both HD. The top one is UHD. When extended I have a virtual monitor that's 3840x3240 for my general purpose system. But for using with MC on my editing box it's a dual monitor system and the UHD is used as an external display connected by a BlackMagic Intensity Pro 4K. Things are cross connected by various HDMI connectors and switches and a KVM.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller