Latest post Sat, Aug 26 2017 9:31 PM by AndrewAction. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 25 2017 9:07 PM

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 25 2010
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 156
    • Points 2,045

Exporting Highest Quality?

Folks: I’ve been struggling with finding ways to finalize projects so they can be burned to DVD or BluRay at the highest quality. To date I *had* been able to export longish projects (20+ minutes) as Uncompressed Quicktimes and then burn them to whatever format I needed – but lately I get the Windows “export file size too large” (or whatever the actual error message is). Occasionally I’ve exported five-minute clips and then patched them together, but this is both a hassle and like there must be a better way. Why would Avid create a high-end editing program but then make it so difficult to finalize in a high quality manner..?

The majority of my “clients” want DVD versions as an end product, so I got a Matrox mini transcoder that connects to my computer and then outputs a signal I had been recording on my DVD burner. Trouble is now the burner seems to have defaulted to recording everything in a 4:3 aspect ratio – so my supposedly 16:9 image is squeezed left-right.

My ultimate question is: What is the best way to get a completed project OUT of Media Composer and onto DVD, BluRay, etc.? As always, thanks for the advice!

Tom

(running Avid Media Composer 8.7.2 on a Dell 64-bit Windows 7 Pro, quad-core Intel 3.60 MHz, 28 GB RAM)

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Aug 25 2017 10:15 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,222
    • Points 41,700
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Exporting Highest Quality?

First, there is absolutely no need to export uncompressed media for making DVDs!! Uncompressed is what you use for sending off masters of clips to places like VFX shops. Depending on your format you can export using Same as Source and use that for transcoding to MPEG-2.  You should have a copy of Squeeze Lite or Squeeze Standard (look in the App Manager under Plug-ins). Use that for encoding. Then get an application for making the menus and DVD structure. I use DVDLab Pro 2 by MediaChance. It's a bit more complex than most, but it can make any kind of DVD you want. And there are certainly simpler ones out there if you search. For burning the DVD I use a piece of freeware called CDBurnerXP. It's got a high compatibility mode (useful for older DVD players that expected at least 1Gb of data and wouldn't play if smaller than that).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Aug 25 2017 10:26 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 156
    • Points 2,045

Dave:

Thanks for the quick and detailed rply! I will try Same as Souce right away and see how it works for me. In the past I hyad used Squeeze but then got into some sort of licensing issue as i recall (they wanted buck$ and I used it so infreqnetly). The folks I work with tend to send their media off to dupe houses for distribution, so I nortmally create master DVDs with no menus, but it would be good to learn. Will try that as well.

Thanks again and I'll get back with my progress in case anyone else is monitoring this thread.

Tom

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 25 2017 10:47 PM In reply to

For a complete drag and srop encode and write package for Blu-ray and DVD I would look at TMPGEnc Mastering Works 6  (find here) It is selling for $122 US.
    With some research you could find DVD ripping programs that would allow you to use the files from your 4:3 DVD by letting you change the 4:3 switch on a file copy of the DVD to 16:9.  Sorry I last used one of these programs so long ago that I cannot remember any of those program names.     (DVD Lab Pro that I still occasionally use allows meto do this but the program is relatively expensive these days and they never added a Blu-ray option.)

• Sat, Aug 26 2017 12:02 AM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 156
    • Points 2,045

Great info. Thanks, Andrew! Ther exporting Same as Souce ended up working well so I'll look into yopur encoding and authoring ideas.

Thanks again.

Tom

• Sat, Aug 26 2017 1:33 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,306
    • Points 16,085

To follow up on Andrew's response, most TMPGec products also happily accept quicktime refs as sources, so there may be some time savings there as well.  (Also, I think Andrew meant to say TMPGenc Authoring Works.)

• Sat, Aug 26 2017 9:31 PM In reply to

smrpix:
    Also, I think Andrew meant to say TMPGenc Authoring Works.
    Maybe Smile

However with my quick read of the Authoring Works specs on the site before posting I did not notice that it included encoding. Mastering Works did specify encoding. If Authoring Works does include encoding then you are right that is what I meant to say. Wink

FWIW My times actively using TMPGEnc was back when it started out as a simple, affordable and high quality MPEG only encoder. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller