Latest post Tue, Aug 22 2017 8:27 PM by Pilot. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 19 2017 11:00 AM

• Keith R
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 8 2012
    • Posts 285
    • Points 3,365

Media Composer First - Exceptions

Apol for yet again - I have been trying to get MCF up and running since the release date ...!!

Exception - Can't create a directory as one of the folders in the path below has insufficient permissions ..

path E \ xxxxxxxxx\

Help appreciated can't proceed ..

Regards

Keith R

Spent too much time now to quit, appreciate if someone  kind enough to explain how to fix..

Keith R 

• Sat, Aug 19 2017 11:58 AM In reply to

• Pilot
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Tel Aviv
    • Posts 63
    • Points 735

Re: Media Composer First - Exceptions

Hello Keith,

when you ask for help, try to give as much information as possible

1) at what point did you get this "Exception" ?

2) don't know - can you run MCF without any external USB disk connected? 

3) what full information about this path E: ?   \ xxxxxxxxx\ - it's not enough 

4) sometimes you can create new folder with the required name manually instead set new permission for "Everyone" user

Geeked

For MC|First:Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / ASUS K54C/CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz/DDR3 8GB RAM/ Intel HD Graphics 2GB *For MC 8.4.4/Symphony option/Win 7 Ultimate x64... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 19 2017 12:09 PM In reply to

Reads to me like a permissions issue in Win. Are you running Win as an administrator?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 19 2017 11:32 PM In reply to

• Keith R
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 285
    • Points 3,365

Hello again

(1) ) at what point did you get this "Exception" ?  

MCF loads then the program stalls on this error message exception ...

(2) there is no external disc

(3) what full information about this path E: ?   \ xxxxxxxxx\ - it's not enough

no further inf the path doesn't exist - best comment I could offer is a simple test ..

(a) remove MC all-together ,install Media Composer 8.9 the program will install and run -no issuea

any required folders are auto installed .. as expected etc etc...

Remove MC 8.9 and instalLL Media  Composer First - the Program will install and the familiar error box appears in the centre of the interface the error message is "Exception" etc etc

(4)sometimes you can create new folder with the required name manually instead set new permission for "Everyone" user

Never had to create folders manually to load Media Composer -  Media Composer will create or load the required folders ..

Whithout knowing what folders are required and naming and re-setting permissions how to do that .. 

(5) when you ask for help, try to give as much information as possible

Toshiba 17.3 Laptop, I7 Haswell Processor Nvidia Graphics - MFG ATI Model AMD Radion Sub Vendor Toshiba GPU Clock 300 Driver 15 201 1101 0 Memory 4096 Mb Bandwidth 64 Gb/Ps 

Never had to create folders manually to load Media Composer -  Media Composer will create or load the required folders ..?

Regards

Filed under:
  • Sun, Aug 20 2017 2:00 AM In reply to

The following assumes your current installer for MC | First  was the original release and the 8.9 uninstaller may not be appropriate with that.

Keith R:
    Remove MC 8.9 and install Media  Composer First -

Could you try uninstalling the Avid Application Manager.
    Then uninstall MC First.

Go to C:\Users\AndrewH\AppData\Local\AvidMediaComposer     and you will find 2 folders Cache  and QtWebEngine. I would delete both of them.      A more cautious approach would be to dig down through each of those folders and delete any files in them. (not the folders themselves)

go to C:\Users\AndrewH\AppData\Local\Avid Technology\Application Manager   and you will find 2 folders Cache  and QtWebEngine. I would delete both of them.      A more cautious approach would be to dig down through each of those folders and delete any files in them. (not the folders themselves)

Go to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Media Composer     Then AvidSourceBrowserCache and delete the *.db database

Go To C:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Media Composer\AMA Management Move the  AMA Metadata Folders folder to your desk top.  
    Open the Managed AMA Media Folders.xml and look at the files in there for any that have a file path starting E:\ If there are any Move the "Managed AMA Media Folders.xml" to the desktop

These addresses above (in bold) come from my Windows 7 computer.

Subsequent reinstalling of Avid should recreate all these Folders. The files moved to the desktop would allow you to retrieve project related data if you need it.

After all of the above I would hope you have eradicated all Avid related folders - files with an E:\ file path (possibly created when you had a E:Drive connected)

Install MC 8.9. Check. Uninstall MC 8.9

Download the latest MC | First. 
    Move the download to C:\ and Extract.
    Install MC | First.  Open The Avid Application Manager  and check it is version 17.8. If not use the Application Manager to download and Update itself to 17.8

Let the Application Manager finish its initializing.
    Open MC First from the Application Manager.

• Mon, Aug 21 2017 11:42 AM In reply to

• Pilot
    • Not Ranked
    • Tel Aviv
    • Posts 63
    • Points 735

Keith R:
    (2) there is no external disc

(3) what full information about this path E: ?

Hello Keith,

what you see in "This PC" computer under the letter "E" ?

In addition to what Andrew wrote, you can try to activate the Administrator account before install MC | First and check how it work .

"To enable the Windows 10 administrator account do the following:

1. Tap on the Windows-key. This should open the start menu or bring you to the Start Screen interface depending on how Windows 10 is configured on the system.
    2. Type cmd and wait for the results to be displayed.
    3. Right-click on the Command Prompt result (cmd.exe)  and select "run as administrator" from the context menu. Alternatively, hold down the Shift-key and the Ctrl-key before you start cmd.exe.
    4. To activate the inactive administrator account, run the command net user administrator /active:yes  

You can choose the "Administrator" account instead your "Username" account after restart (or Log off) and then install MC|First. It can help you. Geeked

For MC|First:Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / ASUS K54C/CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz/DDR3 8GB RAM/ Intel HD Graphics 2GB *For MC 8.4.4/Symphony option/Win 7 Ultimate x64... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 22 2017 10:15 AM In reply to

• Keith R
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 285
    • Points 3,365

Pilot wrote the following post at 08-21-2017 9:42 PM:

In addition to what Andrew wrote, you can try to activate the Administrator account before install MC | First and check how it work ----

Genuine acknowledgement to all however:-

I do not hold sufficiently advanced experience to confidently deal with Windows\Media Composer Folder-Data- Administratror etc etc\ Protocol and \ Management matters  to confidently comment further.. 

Regards

Keith R

• Tue, Aug 22 2017 8:27 PM In reply to

• Pilot
    • Not Ranked
    • Tel Aviv
    • Posts 63
    • Points 735

I think, Avid programmers will be able to create a simple lightweight version of the Media Composer in the near future for free distribution to attract new users. Such a program will be easily installed on a every home computer without special hardware requirements. 

Overloading with technical information and too high computer requirements only scare away potential customers from Avid.

A simple program for video editing can not require the same powerful computer as the full version of the MC.

For example: Symphony (version 6) can run and work on my old laptop, but the MC|First does not work on the computer (after uninstall Symphony, of course). 

Dear Avid team. 

It's a good idea to attract new customers with a free version of the video editing program, but at this stage, unfortunately, it will be for me unfair to recommend MC|First  to users with simple home computers* for an initial acquaintance with Avid .

* I'm talking about computers that normally work with 64-bit Windows and can play smoothly HD video.

Geeked

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller