Latest post Wed, Aug 16 2017 11:16 PM by TheNeil. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 19 2017 5:52 PM

• Sidhu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 10 2008
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

MCF crash on launch. Audio FX

Hello all!

Im an audio guy trying to dabble with MCF for personal videos etc.

My machine has ProTools 11 and other audio software, with a multitude of plugins. MCF, upon launch crashes while scanning audio effects. With a simple error stating that "Avid editor has stopped working". I suspectg a certain plugin may be causing it to crash.

Any help would be welcome. Please note that this is an audio machine, and that would take priority.

Machine specs :

1. Windows 10 v.1607

2. Intel DX79TO mobo || Intel Core i7 3820

3. 16gigs Ram

Thnank you all for your time!

• Wed, Jul 19 2017 6:44 PM In reply to

Re: MCF crash on launch. Audio FX

The most common workaround for this is to move all the audio plug-ins out of their folder. Check that the MC issue has gone away.  If it has then move audio plug ins back a small number at a time checking after every move that MC still does not have an issue.  This should allow you to identify which of your plug- ins is giving trouble.

A MC Forums search will probably show posts that have identified some of the plug-ins others have had trouble with over the years.

Good Luck 

• Wed, Jul 19 2017 6:59 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,792
    • Points 19,780
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

AndrewAction:
    The most common workaround for this is to move all the audio plug-ins out of their folder. Check that the MC issue has gone away.  If it has then move audio plug ins back a small number at a time checking after every move that MC still does not have an issue.  This should allow you to identify which of your plug- ins is giving trouble

Spot on Andrew Yes we will start a separate thread in the future for plugins and workaround.

1. "redline reverb", reported after updating this plugin media composer successfully startup.

Thanks,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 20 2017 6:31 AM In reply to

• Sidhu
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Thank you Ralph and Andrew!

Im not at the machine, where do I locate the audio plugins folder for MCF and how do I update that 1 plugin ?

Thank you again!

• Thu, Jul 20 2017 8:00 AM In reply to

• Sidhu
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Here is a shame.

I discovered that Audio FX folder is the same as shared by PT I think.

The plugin causing the crash is IK Multimeadias Amplitube 3, a guitar sim. Very important for my audio work. I have checked and I have the latest version installed. This plugin works great with PT.

So, what to do now ?

thank you

• Thu, Jul 20 2017 1:46 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,792
    • Points 19,780
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Currently MC|First supports plugins AVX and AAX plug-ins from the Avid Marketplace only. Move the plugin to the unused folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins (Unused) then move back when you want to use them?

Thanks,
    RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 20 2017 2:04 PM In reply to

• Sidhu
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Thanks Ralph,

I understand that MCF only support avid plugs. But it seems to not have issues with others  being installed, it would just ignore them.

I have many other 3rd party plugins, incuding Waves, and it all loads up during the launch, even though you dont get to use them (I can tell cause waves plugin change the cursor icon during boot)

None the less, I have also sent a mail to the makers of Amplitube, Ik Multimedia. And hope someone here or there would resolve this. I am suspecting that the plug will also cause the full version of MC to crash.

Thank you again for your time!

• Mon, Jul 24 2017 5:52 PM In reply to

• TheNeil
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 9 2017
    • Florida, USA
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

I completely agree with Sidhu here. I'm also a ProTools user who makes regular use of various 3rd party audio plugins (primarily Waves and Native Instruments), and I certainly don't think it's realistic to ask that those plugins be moved where PT cannot access them every time I want MCF to even launch.

If MCF isn't going to work with those plugins, so be it, but as Sidhu mentioned, it should just be ignoring them, not crashing entirely without giving any feedback as to why.

I've spent ages since MCF came out trying to get it to launch, and this certainly wasn't the root cause I was expecting.

Mid-2012 MacBook Pro: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 7200rpm SATA Drive | Full Specs: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP652 [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer First 8.9.0 | macOS Sierra

• Mon, Aug 14 2017 2:57 PM In reply to

• TheNeil
    • Not Ranked
    • Florida, USA
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

Can anyone confirm if this startup crash is fixed in MCF version 8.9.0?

The release documentation I've seen for it makes no mention of any bug fixes, but those documents seem far from complete.

Mid-2012 MacBook Pro: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 7200rpm SATA Drive | Full Specs: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP652 [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Aug 14 2017 3:40 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,475
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

TheNeil

The latest MC | First is derived from MC v8.9 and they both were released same day.  

Fixed in Media Composer | First v8.9

The following have been fixed in Media Composer | First v8.9:

Bug Number: . When your locale was set to German, Spanish, or Italian, a number of Media Composer dialog boxes displayed cut off text. Avid has made improvements when displaying these languages so the text is displayed properly. Also, a number of dialogs now include tool tips in the appropriate language. Avid will continue to make improvements with subsequent releases.

Bug Number: MCCET-1503. In previous releases certain DVCPro clips could not be linked. Now they can be linked.

Bug Number: MCCET-1934. You might have corrupted output in the record monitor when you opened the Effect Editor of a rolling title.

Bug Number: MCCET-1927. Importing two tracks increased the clip duration by 1 frame.

Bug Number: MCCET-1893. Changing local clip colors did not save if that was the only change you made.

Bug Number: MCCET-1923. When an AudioSuite rendered effect was removed from the sequence, you could not close the plug-in window.

Limitations

Bug Number: MCDEV-7748. This release does not currently support linking or importing AVCHD with compressed AC3 audio.

Bug Number: MCDEV-7725. Disregard references in the help for publishing directly to FaceBook. This will be provided in a future release. You can publish your sequence to a local drive to use when posting your video to FaceBook.

What specifically are you referring to relating to audio FX's....  have you tried to move the FX folder to the desktop and launch MC | First?

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Aug 14 2017 4:16 PM In reply to

• TheNeil
    • Not Ranked
    • Florida, USA
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

Hi,

Where are these bug fixes posted online? I could only find what's new in 8.9.0, and it only discussed new features, not bug fixes.

I'm referring specifically to the issue mentioned above, whereby MCF is failing to launch because there are valid ProTools plugins in a folder which they share. Obviously it's not realistic to ask ProTools users to move their valid plugins to another folder every time they want MCF to launch.

Thanks.

• Mon, Aug 14 2017 5:08 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,475
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Each ReadMe for each specific version contains bugs and limitations.  They are located here:

Media Composer Documentation is here:  

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/ReadMe/Media-Composer-Software-8-0-Documentation

Media Composer | First

http://www.avid.com/media-composer-first/learn-and-support

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Aug 14 2017 7:55 PM In reply to

• TheNeil
    • Not Ranked
    • Florida, USA
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

OK, so for Pro Tools, fixes and new features are documented in the same article, yet for Media Composer they are listed entirely separately? That's inconsistent and also very unhelpful. Anyway; that's besides the point of this discussion.

What I was trying to find out is whether it was still occurring or not in the new version. I don't see it in the list of fixes, true, but was hoping someone might actually be able to say for sure based on their experience of the issue discussed - it seems we have people both from the customer and from Avid side who were discussing this issue originally.

Thanks.

• Tue, Aug 15 2017 1:18 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,475
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

TheNeil

PT, MC, MC | First, NEXUS, etc... all have their own Documentation page on the knowledge base.  Each page can be subscribed too if you want updates each time one of the documents is updated.  each page also has a running tally of the versions for that product.

MC | First and Appman 17.7 are the combo to use and shoud have no added issues with launching.  The AppMan 17.7 was even tweeked to reduce CPU usage when the application is running.

what problems are you having?

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Aug 15 2017 1:39 PM In reply to

• TheNeil
    • Not Ranked
    • Florida, USA
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

Honestly, the problems are described in great detail by 2 different users higher up in this thread, so please read it.

For Sidhu and for me, MCF crashes on launch every time, and the diagnosis given above by RalphC (also of Avid) was that it's due to the presence of valid Pro Tools plugins in a shared folder. Obviously, PT users aren't going to manually remove all of their plugins every time they want MCF to launch, and that level of stability is not something anyone would want in an application.

My question was whether one of the people familiar with this issue, such as those in the above, have validated in MCF 8.9 and confirmed whether the issue still persists. If you have any insight on this, I welcome your input, but otherwise, perhaps we should let them answer.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller