Latest post Mon, Jul 17 2017 3:48 PM by ianhooper. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 17 2017 2:24 PM

• ianhooper
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 21 2012
    • Posts 7
    • Points 70

Import PAL to NTSC

Here’s my situation…
    I am producing a documentary for CNN. I am editing on Avid Symphony 8. The project setting is 1080i/59.94.

The shoot was done with two cameras. Camera 1 was set to the correct settings. However by mistake the second camera – an OSMO – was set to PAL 25fps progressive.

What is the best way to convert or import the PAL footage into the NTSC project to achieve best quality? I have tried transcoding directly into the project and also importing directly. I also tried setting up a separate PAL project then opening that bin in the NTSC project. In all cases the quality is not good with a lot of strobing and jaggy edges. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Ian
    Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Jul 17 2017 3:25 PM In reply to

Re: Import PAL to NTSC

Well you are going to notice the difference between the 2 cameras. 625/50i to 525/59.94i just look great.

There is a workflow if money is no object but I suspect thats not the case.

So I'd AMA link all the footage (not import as an import will convert)

The "wrong" frame rate footage will gain a motion adapter that adjusts the frame rate.

Now edit as you would. When you have your final timeline reconform (if you did an offline online workflow)

Then adjust the motion adapters on a clip by clip basis for what works best. even consider the fluid motion option if need be.

Then output.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Jul 17 2017 3:40 PM In reply to

• ianhooper
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 70

Thanks Pat. The issue is a drop in quality, not the frame rate. I am not familiar with the fluid motion option. What is that?

For interest sake what is the money-is-no-object option?

Many thanks

• Mon, Jul 17 2017 3:48 PM In reply to

• ianhooper
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 70

I think the quality issue may be more related to the fact that the OSMO footage is progressive (PAL), while the edit project is interlaced (NTSC). 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller