Latest post Thu, Jul 20 2017 11:08 PM by SR555. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 16 2017 12:53 PM

• SR555
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 28 2013
    • Posts 98
    • Points 1,045

Questions about mpeg interlacing, also color mgt

Project overview:

Doing a project consisting of (so far) a lot of AMA'd M4vs and a few more recent, 30p videos. Many of the videos came from DVDs or prior video transfers, some came from cellphone video, etc.  Various sizes.   It is at least 40% mpeg2s - hundreds of them, and 40%m4vs (some interlaced, some not).  There is vastly more material to review than will be going into the edit, hence my preference for AMA over importing or transcoding.

Media Composer 7.  Project settings are 720p, 29.97, YCbCr709, 1280x720.   It will be going to both DVD and a digital file to be viewed on a TV, also possibly to web video.  It's a large project, so I just want to make sure it's set up properly and I don't have to correct things on the back end.

1) AMA and transcoding field questions:

I am unable to AMA or import the mpeg2 clips.  As an alternative, it was suggested in a forum post to transcode to mjpeg (50%) leaving the field order intact (upper) and that this would keep the file size manageable while maintaining quality.  It would be preferable to AMA rather than import though, but from what I can tell there's not yet a working solution for Avid and mpeg2s?

I've started that transcode, but just want to double check:  is the best way to let Avid import it with fields?  Or should I deinterlace the footage before bringing it in?  Why or why not?

2) Color questions:

Are my settings correct for the proper color management?

Color profiles according to VLC:

Original mpegs: Planar 4.2.0 YUV

Converted mjpegs: Planar 4.2.2, YUV Full Scale

M4vs: Planar 4.2.0 YUV

There are also some h.264s in there that are also Planar 4.2.0 YUV.

Thank you

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 19 2017 12:31 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Points 925

Re: Questions about mpeg interlacing, also color mgt

I have done a similar project recently at 25 frames per second with lots of archival footage from DVDs and other sources.

I used Sorenson squeeze to conform  all the footage to 25 frames per second progressive in prorez codec and then ama linked to Avid. 

It was a big batch, and took up a lot of drive space, but the time I spent handling it was minimal, and the final conform was simple. I delivered in progressive 1080.

one problem: if I Ama then consolidate, some of the clips would go offline, (I did not try Ama then transcode as my media was already in a native codec). So I reverted to quick import which proved to be more robust.

Regarding colour space, all my stuff was at video levels. You would need to put in place some sort of quality control to sort the video level material from the data level material. Or just do it all one way, ( I suggest data levels ) and do the quality control as you edit, marking up the clips that were at incorrect colour levels.

Martin

iMac Retina27 late 2014 4Gz i7 16GB AMD R9 2GB with Sata Raid OS 10.11.6 MC 8.6.4 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 20 2017 11:08 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 28 2013
    • Posts 98
    • Points 1,045

Re: Questions about mpeg interlacing, also color mgt

THanks Martin.

I have them all AMA'd now but it's a bit choppy.  At the end I will transcode and see if that helps.

In the end it may make sense to do it as you describe.   I will probably need to buy another drive either way - but would be good to have that extra space anyway.

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller