Latest post Sun, Jul 16 2017 12:22 AM by TVJohn. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 13 2017 3:02 PM

• rocketman7
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 11 2017
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Install issue: "Your system does not support this version of Media Composer. Please consult the Specifications information..."

Cannot get Media Composer First to install. 

Everything will install untill it the application manager. Then it will get a popup error: "Your system does not support this version of Media Composer. Please consult the Specification information ....."

My syste is running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and has 16 GB of memeory.

All drivers are current (as far as I can tell).

Need some help on getting this to install

DIY AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor, 16GB, Radeon HD 5450, Win 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 13 2017 3:15 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,197
    • Points 41,375
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Install issue: "Your system does not support this version of Media Composer. Please consult the Specifications information..."

We need a bit more information in order to help you. What system (PC or Mac), CPU, Graphics Card, etc. Please look at the bottom of this post for an idea of what we're looking for.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Jul 13 2017 3:43 PM In reply to

• rocketman7
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Re: Install issue: "Your system does not support this version of Media Composer. Please consult the Specifications information..."

My system is DIY AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor, 16GB, Radeon HD 5450, Win 10 Pro

I downloaded the file Media_Composer_First_8_8_5_Win_97990_.zip from the Avid site, unzipped and ran the setup.

As I said, everything seems to install until it gets to the final install of the applications manager.

DIY AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor, 16GB, Radeon HD 5450, Win 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 13 2017 6:17 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,220
    • Points 13,295
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

rocketman7:

My system is DIY AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor, 16GB, Radeon HD 5450, Win 10 Pro

I downloaded the file Media_Composer_First_8_8_5_Win_97990_.zip from the Avid site, unzipped and ran the setup.

As I said, everything seems to install until it gets to the final install of the applications manager.

Please refer to this earlier post. FAQ

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 13 2017 7:01 PM In reply to

• rocketman7
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

I had seen the earlier post and as I said, all relevent drivers are up-to-date.

If there are specific drivers to check let me know.

From the FAQ and then the qualified systems, I only see pre-built systems and ALL are Intel based. I do not see any AMD based systems. I also see that you want SSE4.1 which I think is only an Intel supported thing.

If you are really only targeting the Intel based systems, you should have said that in the requirements. Also the requirement said nothing about the SSE4.1 support.

At this point I just need to know how to uninstall that other items that were installed by your setup so they will not take up space.

Please provide a list of all the programs that this would have installed.

Also, until you actually support non-Intel platforms, you need to state that on the requirements and main page.

If you ever decide to support the other half of the PC market, let me know I might give this a try then.

• Thu, Jul 13 2017 7:39 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,581
    • Points 111,965
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Rocketman

What I want you to do is remove MC First.   Then downlaod MC 8.8.5.  Then immediately uninstall it using the UNISTALLER.  

Then install MC First and it shoud work

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Sat, Jul 15 2017 2:04 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,269
    • Points 52,890

It is not a matter of drivers, It is hard coding within the microprocessor, referred to as SSD "instructions" That AMD processor does not have those instructions.

This is not unique to Media Composer. New versions of Edius also will not run on older AMD CPUs.

The new AMD FX series work just fine

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.8.5 Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 13/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sat, Jul 15 2017 3:24 PM In reply to

• rocketman7
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

NSS. As a computer architecture expert (Master of Science in Electrical Engineering from Stanford specilty in computer architecture and orginization and more then 25 years as a system design engineer with many different processors including Intel and AMD), I know that SSE are micro-coded instructions and that until the latest FX part, AMD did not support this.

My issue is that Avid did not have this as a system requirement and effectily is limited to Intel based systems.

I am not about to build a new system just to run "FREE" software when I can run many other products including many other free editors that have not limited their market.

I need to know how to get this uninstalled as I do not see an uninstall option.

If there is not an uninstall, I need to know what all was installed (all programs and support files) so I can remove them.

If Avid ever decides to support all the PC market (or if I ever build a new system) I might consider installing this then.

• Sat, Jul 15 2017 7:59 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,220
    • Points 13,295
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

rocketman7:
    I need to know how to get this uninstalled as I do not see an uninstall option.

It never got installed in the first place. Normally all temp files a remove/rolledback when installation aborted.

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 15 2017 8:38 PM In reply to

• rocketman7
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

RalphC,

I might agree except there were new icons added to my desktop, items added to the start menu and I see several other items that were installed the same days I tried to do the install. Given that, it did NO cleanup or rollback anything.

That is why I need a list of what would be installed so I can remove them.

• Sat, Jul 15 2017 8:45 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,220
    • Points 13,295
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

What's the icon's name? items name on the start menu?The start menu should have "AVID" icons should name Avid Media Composer First and AppMan or Application Manager.

• Sat, Jul 15 2017 9:05 PM In reply to

• rocketman7
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

There is an icon for "iLok License Manager" but do not see this in the installed programs.

In the start menu, there is the Avid entry and then Applictaions manager.

In the installed programs, there are several installed the same day I first tried, including: PACE License Support Win64, Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) - 12.0.40660 and an (x64) one - 12.0.30501, and Sentinel Protection Installer 7.6.6. Not sure which of these were from the Avid installer.

These are the ones that I can see. Not sure if there were others that might be in the background (just saying).

• Sat, Jul 15 2017 9:57 PM In reply to

rocketman7:
    but do not see this in the installed programs.
    Have you looked in the Program Files (x86) folder? For me (not from a MC \ First install) the iLok License Manager does not show in All programs from the Start menu but does show up in the Program Files (x86) folder which is where I usually start it from.   (W7 64 Pro SP1)

• Sun, Jul 16 2017 12:22 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,269
    • Points 52,890

A system-wide search in Windows Explorer for files of type *.exe with a Created Date of, say, the last month or so will tell you which new executable files have been created in that time. 

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.8.5 Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 13/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller