Latest post Mon, Aug 14 2017 3:05 PM by TheNeil. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 7 2017 12:59 AM

• dennisnv
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 6 2017
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

MCF fails to launch

When I try to launch MCF it doesn't get past the Initializing Avid Media Access Volume Manager phase. I've made sure all my logical drive volume labels consist of only numerals and capital letters; I've tried launching with my eSATA drive unplugged; I've tried launching with my ethernet and wifi disabled; out of desperation I've even tried the "iLock fix" from an old MC post I found. I've reinstalled the software twice. The crash dialog box reports the following data:

Error Message Box (Title: Avid Media Composer First 8.8.5)
    Exception: Structured Exception,
    ExceptionCode:3221225477,
    ExceptionString:ACCESS_VIOLATION,
    FaultAddress:0X00007FFE10510CB0,
    MiniDumpFileName:41f8b019-4762-4a93-a609-d19403dcb63d.dmp

I'm pretty sure my system is capable of running MCF and that I'm experiencing one of those finnicky, quirky things that AVID software is so famous for. I've forwarded all of the crash log reports to AVID. If someone could at the very least tell me more about the conditions that would cause the access violation or more specifics on what it refers to perhaps I could think of something else to try. 

Windows 10 Pro OS; HPE-270f WS w/ IPMTB-TK MB and Intel X58 Express CS; Intel Core i7 2.8GHz Quad Core CPU; 24GB DDR3-1066 RAM; ATI Radeon HD5770 w/ 1GB... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Jul 7 2017 1:35 AM In reply to

Re: MCF fails to launch

dennisnv:
    Initializing Avid Media Access Volume Manager phase
    With Internet connected Open the Avid Application Manager. In the Preferences page use the Clear Cache Files option. Close the Avid Application manager. Restart the computer.

Try starting MC | First

• Fri, Jul 7 2017 3:00 AM In reply to

• dennisnv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Thanks for quick response AA but your suggestion didn't work; I experienced the same problem yet again. Although, it did seem to me that the launch "sat" on the volume manager initiation phase a bit longer than usual before the program stopped working. Do you have any other things I might try? I appreciate any help I can get at this point ...

Windows 10 Pro OS; HPE-270f WS w/ IPMTB-TK MB and Intel X58 Express CS; Intel Core i7 2.8GHz Quad Core CPU; 24GB DDR3-1066 RAM; ATI Radeon HD5770 w/ 1GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 7 2017 3:32 AM In reply to

Have you tried a Windows search for the .dmp file noted in your first post.  I would try and find it. Note the folder path (possibly C:\Users\"Your user name"\AppData\Local\CrashDumps) to the folder that the .dmp file is in and then delete the .dmp file.   Then try again.  If it does not work I would post the file path here it might help someone identify the issue.   

• Fri, Jul 7 2017 3:57 AM In reply to

• dennisnv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

The dumps are being deposited in C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Avid\Crashlog and I can try deleting only the ones that are related to MCF or I can delete all of them; I assume the others are from prior problems with ProTools as they go back as far as March of 2015. I'll just delete them all since I haven't had problems with PT in awhile and I mostly use REAPER for audio production anyhow. I am assuming I should then clear cache in AppMan again as you suggested earlier; it can't hurt. I'll post the results ...

• Fri, Jul 7 2017 4:11 AM In reply to

dennisnv:
    I am assuming I should then clear cache in AppMan again as you suggested earlier; it can't hurt.
    Good Idea

Also as you have pro Tools on the system you could look at this thread  otherwise if you cure your current issue this may be the next one.

Good Luck

• Fri, Jul 7 2017 4:37 AM In reply to

• dennisnv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Well, deleting the crash log files didn't solve the problem but that seemed like a long shot for sure. I followed the link you (AA) provided and had already seen and considered the thread; I don't think I have any third party plug-ins for AVID video software. I'll check though, because the plugins I have for Power Director might have installed some AVID versions like is usually done with the audio plugins I use in REAPER.

To mildly rant: I am thinking that AVID has a long way to go if they are serious about becoming a force in the consumer / small shop side of the market; they seem to be the proverbial tail that's intent on wagging the dog. If your still with me AA I do appreciate your trying to help. Maybe somebody will figure this thing out.

• Fri, Jul 7 2017 6:24 AM In reply to

• dennisnv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

No third party plugins found so no satisfaction there; but, the saga continues ... I read somewhere in the MC forum posts regarding crashes that installing the software from the root directory might fix the problem soooo ... I uninstalled MCF (and its siblings) once again, and did a restart to clear the memory banks. I then copied the MCF zip file to the system root directory, extracted the files to the default extraction directory ...

"C:\Media_Composer_First_8_8_5_Win_97990_"

... and then ran "Install Media Composer First.exe" from the extraction directory:  and ... another fail. It's really starting to be not worth it but I'll hang on a little longer in case anyone else has an idea or two.  Is there an AVID employee monitoring this forum who can offer some advice?  I can honestly say that I have never had any problems like this using other video editors (Power Director or Camtasia for example); they just work. I am starting to wonder, is MCF a step up or a step down?

• Fri, Jul 7 2017 9:30 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,300
    • Points 14,045
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Hi dennisn,

Can you send me the crash log pm or email raff.condalor@avid.com. While you do that can you see if you have full permission to this folder C:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Media Composer First\

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 8 2017 3:39 AM In reply to

• dennisnv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Update: I emailed the crash log and included in the email the following information as well. I found a directory similar to the one RalphC mentioned [C;\Users\Public\Public Documents\Avid Media Composer First\] and the permissions are a bit strange. My user ID is not listed at all but there is a listing for Administrators and one for Authenticated Users. Then, there are five other listings that seem to be system related: CREATOR OWNER, SYSTEM, BATCH, INTERACTIVE AND SERVICE. I did try running MCF as an administrator and that didn't work either. Hoping to hear some good news soon.

• Sun, Jul 9 2017 2:48 AM In reply to

I have the same problem and submitted those files.i

http://www.pro-tools-pc.com/ Running Windows 10 Home.

• Sun, Jul 9 2017 5:58 AM In reply to

• dennisnv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

My sympathies Bob, but misery loves company. I notice there are over 300 reads to this thread and I assume most of those, if not all, are folks looking for answers. I shall remain stoic and determined not to pay AVID for support on this; it will only encourage them. The theory is that they could intentionally be releasing buggy code in order to force users to pay for the support needed to make it work correctly. It can happen when an application gains market dominance and its vendor no longer fears the competition. Anyhow, we might get some answers if we keep the pressure on here at the MCF forum. In the meantime I have two media editors that provide frustration free processing so it's not like I am losing money because of it.

• Sun, Jul 9 2017 6:28 AM In reply to

Bob Olhsson:
    I have the same problem
    Do you have the same OS? To make it easier for forum members and Avid staff who watch these forums wanting to help you PLEASE fill in your profile with your computer specs, Graphics card OS and addittional hardware etc you have installed. Thanks

• Sun, Jul 9 2017 1:00 PM In reply to

• Keith R
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 8 2012
    • Posts 285
    • Points 3,365

Hello Andrew, I spent two days installing and re-installing Media Composer First Perpetual Sys ID 10402 xxx and all I end up with is (quote) please quit and log into Application Manager and re-launch (end quote) 

I was looking to introduce a friend however there are issues with it  I couldn't recommend it I couldn't get it up and running for a demo unfortunately it fails to launch which is rather odd maybe..?

Not planning on trying again for now, going by some of the forum comments not the only one having trouble installing and running it no doubt a fix is in the pipeline hopefully ...

Regards

• Sun, Jul 9 2017 5:18 PM In reply to

• TheNeil
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 9 2017
    • Florida, USA
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

Hi everyone,

I've been facing this too: Each time I launched MCF (8.8.5), it would show the splash screen for a long time, then go to the generic 'Send to Avid' crash box without any further information.

I managed to get it working once by reinstalling MCF using the installer DMG from my.avid.com, and this time also choosing to install the other components like Cloud Collab (I didn't bother before because, as a Pro Tools user, I already had them installed), then running it without having my USB docking station (keyboard, mouse, 2x monitors) connected.

It ran that time, but all attempts since have just resulted in the same crash.

Anyone have any other advice? I tried the cache clear on App Manager too, but to no avail.

Mid-2012 MacBook Pro: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 7200rpm SATA Drive | Full Specs: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP652 [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer First 8.9.0 | macOS Sierra

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller