Latest post Sat, Jul 15 2017 12:56 PM by mixelpix. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 30 2017 9:52 PM

• mixelpix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 30 2017
    • Posts 4
    • Points 30

Feature request: opt out of startup items for MC | First?

The AvidApplicationManager and AvidAppManHelper are considerable resource hogs upon startup (macOS Sierra, i7 2GHz 8GB Air) - between 50 to 15% per Activity Monitor. I don't see them in the Login Items of the SysPrefs > Users, but I think the components were installed in /Library/LaunchDaemons/ and /Library/LaunchAgents/ ...it's easy enough to quit the Manager manually from the menu bar or kill them in the terminal or Activity Monitor, but is there a way to NOT have them launch at startup? Possibly implementing them as an ad hoc option when the app is invoked?

As a casual user, I personally dislike this kind of bloatware living on my system for resources I do not need to use every day and it makes me skeptical of further investing in the Avid brand. As a former professional and daily Avid Media Composer user, I do know and appreciate the value of Avid, but for brand and educational marketing with freeware, right off the bat the issues of the workstation startup load is concerning. That said, I apologize for being critical of freeware and fully support the effort to make MC | First available to the world to learn with!

Filed under:
  • Fri, Jun 30 2017 10:20 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,894
    • Points 201,470
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Feature request: opt out of startup items for MC | First?

Hey there

I did post this on facebook too to our thread.  I spoke with keith who handles beta and appman.  he said that this is the #1 issue being looked at right now.  resource hogging of the apps'.  They are setting up some different enviroments to test and engineering will be working on it over the next few weeks. 

They now it needs attention and it is getitng it.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Sat, Jul 1 2017 12:44 AM In reply to

• mixelpix
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 30

Just for the sake of posterity, here's the link which Michael Phillips posted from the 24P site: http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=363

The short 24p article links to a .zip file hosted on DropBox which has an Automater .app for macOS which can be used to kill the App Manager and Helper app (also, something which can be done from the Activity Monitor): https://www.dropbox.com/s/hufryb79jpmdxyf/AvidAppManagerCloser.zip?dl=0

Thanks again, Marianna!

:)

• Sat, Jul 15 2017 12:17 PM In reply to

• mixelpix
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 30

Any idea which of these Avid files are responsible for invoking AvidApplicationManager and AvidAppManHelper at startup?

MacHD::Library/LaunchAgents/
    - com.avid.ApplicationManager.plist           <------ I presume at the very least this one
    - com.avid.interplay.editortranscode.plist
    - com.avid.transcodeserviceworker.plist

MacHD::Library/LaunchDaemons/
    - com.avid.hub.service.plist
    - com.avid.interplay.editorbroker.plist
    - com.avid.interplay.editortranscodestatus.plist
    - com.avid.transport.client.plist

...and to the point, will placing them outside of these folders prevent AvidApplicationManager and AvidAppManHelper from launching at startup?

As a casual user of Media Composer | First, Cool I don't need these resources running in the background all the time. Also, as a developer Geeked 1) I like to keep a lean system free from active processes I don't use, and 2) at times when I have to reboot often for troubleshooting, these two apps detract enough extra time (to get my system rolling and from my extra effort to stop the processes so I can rule them out as culprits for system resource - proc, RAM, bandwidth) that I am beginning regret having downloaded First Hmm. Again - sorry to look a gift horse in the mouth and as a former professional editor, I do absolutely LOVE Avid Media Composer... but... well... yeah. Thanks Big Smile

• Sat, Jul 15 2017 12:56 PM In reply to

• mixelpix
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 30

Well, moving all of those files out of those two directories prevented AvidApplicationManager and AvidAppManHelper from launching when I boot up. Of note:
    1. LaunchDaemons are invoked when the system is running.
    2. LaunchAgents run relative to a user logging in.
    3. As a casual user of MC | First, I now have a fairly simple process to set up my system for running First. I made two folders called "MacHD Library LaunchAgents" & "MacHD Library LaunchDaemons" so I would remember which specific folders to put them in. One minor hiccup is that removal and replacement of these files into their directories requires entering my password... no big deal, but my time is valuable to me and these extra steps add up.
    4. I also like to use my internal drive as a media drive (who doesn't love SSD I/O speeds???), so in addition to the Agent/Daemon dance, for now I don't mind changing my root folder permissions when I want to get my system configured for use of MC | First && when I am done with it for the day (see: https://www.facebook.com/groups/156465558232261/permalink/157632304782253/). Time management, ofc, is incumbent upon me ;)
    All that said, again: LOVE Avid Media Composer, and don't want to sound ungrateful, but it would be great to have the Startup Items optional (and access to the internal drive optional w/o the security liability of altering root read/write).
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller