Latest post Mon, Jun 19 2017 1:21 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 16 2017 11:33 PM

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 28 2008
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,645

Airspeed and Transfer Manager

So Ive been trying to get Interplay Transfer to work with my airspeed. I'm running MC 5.5.2 with TM 2.4 (I also tried 2.2, and 2.7) but per the compatibility Matrix 2.4 seems the way to go. As far as the AirSpeed Goes, Flight plan works, Pilot works, FTP with the command line works using port 6530....however I cannot get playback or ingest to work to save my life. FTP Media Browser will browse the clips but if I try to transfer one I get:

"clip ID"/header: 200 Type set to I.
    227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,2,200,245,173)
    500 "clip ID"/header: No such file or Directory
    451 Composition fetch failed: Unknown object at offset 0

Sending to playback device from MC I get: "Internal error in the DLL that sends media to the playback device: MSS DHM, Unsupported media format in composition: Avid DVC Pro 25"  The only media I have in there is an .mov file

Dragging from Fightplan (ingest) into the bin I  get "FTPControlCon: Cannot connect socket to IT-SARAHS:6530: Connection refused" 

I have TM and the TM client on my edit station. TM runs fine with no errors and licenses show enabled for FTP and transfer....so im at a loss to why this doesnt work. I tried it also with MC 2.7.7 and TM 2.2 and as soon as you install TM it kills MC and it wont start with the infamous lava.dll error.

Seems to be a mystery. Any ideas?

Pro Tools 12.5, Avid Media Composer Adrenaline HD 5.7, Studio Toolkit 5.7 [view my complete system specs]

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Sun, Jun 18 2017 1:22 PM In reply to

Re: Airspeed and Transfer Manager

Hi

First of all which version are you running on the airspeed classic? An airspeed classic can only play a limited amount of media formats. What is the desired format you want to send to the airspeed? I would start with trying just creating a 30sec sequence importing a pcuture in dv25 and creating some 30 sec 2ch tone media.

Can you also post some screenshots of you TM settings and airspeed settings (you can use vnc to login into your airspeed)?

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Sun, Jun 18 2017 4:19 PM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,645

OKay here is a link to the screen shots https://1drv.ms/f/s!Auoeb9J6mV0Dgo4o0wfldN0PR115uQ

And my Airspeed Classic is running AirSpeed 2.7.14 R21655. It came from a TV studio in Tampa and it WAS connected to a Unity ISIS and all their clips are still on there. I tried to rest it with the update manager and an ISO but it just "updated" it and left all the setting. It looks like its running FreeBSD, I tried to boot from the ISO but to no avail.

I used Avid MC Adrenaline 5.5 to capture some tape from a MiniDV cam for some source footage. I tried an mov file too...Ill have to try the SMPTE bars in the meantime...but odd that I cant use FP to transfer to bin

Thanks for the reply.

Pro Tools 12.5, Avid Media Composer Adrenaline HD 5.7, Studio Toolkit 5.7 [view my complete system specs]

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Sun, Jun 18 2017 7:00 PM In reply to

Hi, what is the 'it-sarahs'? 

I assume the host name of the airspeed is asplay-2?

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Jun 18 2017 7:21 PM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,645

IT-SARAH is the edit station and asplay-2 is the airspeed 

So I tried about 10 seconds of Tone Media and bars and I also tried a clip imported as DV25 411 MXF  and I STILL get the same error:

Unsupported media format in composition: Avid DVC 25Pro

The project settings are NTSC 23.976p NTSC 4:3 I also changed the audio settings to match the 24bit the Airspeed is expecting and to no avail.

Supposedly this is what it supports:

Video (NTSC and PAL) DV25

NTSC supports DVCPRO (DV25 411) 

PAL supports DVCPRO (DV25 411 and DV25 420)

DV50

IMX 50 — MPEG 50 I-frame-only compression

IMX 30 — MPEG 30 I-frame-only compression

1:1 (MXF only)

Optional Avid DNxchange

(DNxHD)

1080 Interlaced

1080i/59.94 fields per second

1080i/50 fields per second

720 Progressive

720p/59.94 frames per second

Audio WAVE — 48 kHz

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Mon, Jun 19 2017 1:03 AM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,645

The interesting thing about this error :

"FTPControlCon: Cannot connect socket to IT-SARAHS:6530: Connection refused" 

Is that it seems to be correct in saying that. If I FTP with command line, I get no connection however if I FTP to port 6534, it says connected. So it seems the TM is listening on the wrong port or the AS is transmitting on the wrong port...just a thought

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Mon, Jun 19 2017 7:35 AM In reply to

Hi again,

In the transfer manager config change the following.

Because the airspeed has it's own build in transfer manager replace it-sarahs with asplay-2 in ingest devices in the ingest part and device name and service host in the playback part.

And also make sure you have asplay-2 configured in the transfer settings in MC next to local transfer manager. It's also wise to add asplay-2 to the local host file in windows. It's located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

• Mon, Jun 19 2017 11:47 AM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,645

Hi,

Well that brought us 50% closer, I was able to pull media from from the Airspeed into the Editor, however when I try to send to play device im getting this error :

Error in the DLL that send media to the playbakc device

In the TM console, you get a little more information but not much, it just says:

Failed to connect to playback service [] 37 0

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Mon, Jun 19 2017 12:18 PM In reply to

Port for airspeed is 6535. Is that set correctly?

• Mon, Jun 19 2017 12:43 PM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,645

Wow that did it!! Ive tried for days to get this working based of published config settings from different users and for some reason they all had 6534. THANK YOU, THAK YOU!! I knew it had to be SOME config issue because I kept reading how these settings had to be precise.

SO now that this is working, I know I cant capture HD media into the AS without a DnXchange, however If I set the format to be HD, can I at least push and pull from the editor if the material originates in the editor?

and one last thing...I may get a Unity, but in the mean time, this AS is configured with 4 internal SCSI drives in a RAID 0 (which is terrible to begine with) WHEN, one of these fails and I need to reinstall from an ISO, am i supposed to just be able to boot from an external CD ROM?

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Mon, Jun 19 2017 1:21 PM In reply to

Yes. You will have to use an IDE cd/dvd rom or use a usb cd/dvd rom. If you install the latest version. 2.7.15 you can use sata drives in combination with certain scsi to sata adapters. But I remember those were $600 per adapter back then.... so for an airspeed that has a value of about $100,-... maybe you can find them on ebay. For sure you can find scsi drives on ebay for the airspeed. But the airspeed was also picky when it came to drive firmware/serial nr... so it's tricky.

And as Avid is no longer supporting them... if you want to keep using one make sure you find another identical version used one.

HD is a disaster with these units. I'm sure there might be some people out there that have been able to use it, but I'm not one of them. Without the DnXchange you can't do HD. The airspeed classic does not up/down convert so if you send HD to the airspeed you have to have a dnxchange to play and see picture.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller