Latest post Fri, Jun 16 2017 3:11 PM by delgadob. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 16 2017 3:11 PM

• delgadob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 16 2007
    • Pembroke Pines, Florida
    • Posts 141
    • Points 2,185

Arrows, checkmarks and bullets - HOW TO

Below is a step by step instruction to accomplish a task in Avid’s Media Composer.
    It is NOT a scientific explanation, it might not make sense to advanced users, but at least will allow those in need of help to accomplish the specified task.
    The good thing about Media Composer is that you can reach the same results in different ways.
    The bad thing about Media Comopser is that you can reach the same results in different ways.
    This is just ONE way which has worked for me.
    Hope it helps you!

Pointing Arrows,  check-marks and bullets added to a video

How to create and place arrows, check-marks and bullets (or any other available font graphic in
    Photoshop) in Avid’s Media Composer

Open Photoshop in any computer.

Go to File > New > next to Preset, find “TV Title.”  (*)
    A window with a transparent background opens.

Look for the “ribbon” where the Fonts are listed, click the down arrow and select a font with the
    graphic you want to use.  I usually need either check marks or arrows.

Let’s say at this time you are looking for an arrow.

When you click on the down arrow next to the font name, all the fonts on your machine will be
    displayed.  Move down the list until you see one font where graphics are displayed, such as:

“Bookshelf Symbol 7" or “Dingbats,” etc. (**)

To the right of where you found the fonts, look for a window with numbers followed by “pt”.This
    will select the size of the font.  In the window, delete the numbers and enter 100.

Look to the right of that window and find the rectangle with a color.  Click on it and select a
    color, such as yellow.

On the left hand side of Photoshop, find the ribbon with the different icons and click on the “T”
    for Text.

Move the mouse over the window with the transparent background and click at the center of it.

A vertical line will start flashing indicating the size and position of whatever character you type.

As you type a letter, a symbol will appear.  You will have to type a letter starting with “a” and
    then hit the backspace to delete it if that is not the character you want.

I have found that with this font, when I type the letter “n” an arrow will be displayed.

Press “Shift” and the “Left Arrow” This will select the image of the arrow.

On the ribbon at the top of  Photoshop, on the line where you find File, Edit, etc., click on
    “Layer” and then click on “Layer Style”

Click on Drop Shadow.

A window will open where you can change the settings for the drop shadow (make sure it is
    checked on the list of Blending Options, to the left of that window.)

Grab the line inside the circle next to Angle and decide where you want the shadow to appear.
    Move the distance slider to show how far the shadow is to be from the actual image, change (or
    not) all other parameters to meet your needs.)

Then click on “Stroke” to add a border to the arrow. 
    Click OK

Understand that you can add more “effects” to the graphic and that you can change each
    parameters to widen, narrow, position, etc., with  most of those parameter.

Save this graphic as a “.psd” file so it will have its transparency when you open it in Avid.

If Photoshop is not on the computer where Avid is, save the graphic to a thumb-drive and then
    move  the file from the thumb-drive to your E:\Warehouse>Graphics>Arrows directory.

As I create more of these kind of graphics, I save them in my E:\ Warehouse folder, under
    “Graphics” and in this case in the “ARROWS” subdirectory,  so they are available the next time I
    might need them.  You could make changes and add further malipulations by simply opening the graphic in Photoshop.

For organizational purposes, I create several directories on my D:\ drive for any given project
    (i.e., Police Athletic League - PAL,)  and give it the name of the project plus what it contains:
    PAL-Music; PAL-Graphics; PAL-Titles, etc.

I will copy the arrow graphic from the Warehouse>Grahics>Arrows to the PAL-Graphics.
    If you make the mistake of moving the file, once you delete the project, your arrows will go to
    hell in a handbasket and you will never find them again, so COPY, don’t MOVE.

Once Avid is up and running I will Import from those project’s directories into the project I am
    working on to its corresponding bin. 

Again, for organizational purposes, I open several bins in each project, one for Videos, one for
    Music, another one for title, one for Graphics, etc., and import the proper items to their
    corresponding bin.

After I have completed all my editing in Avid, I will add a new video track.

Will open the arrow I want to use and once I mark the In and Out points, will send it to that
    uppermost video track.  Make sure only that uppermost video track is active in the patch panel.

Place the playback head at the very beginning of the clip with the arrow.
    In the Effects Palette, click on “Key”
    Drag and drop the “Matte Key” onto the arrow clip.

Open the Effect Editor.

Use the Scaling Parameters: Wid and Hgt to resize the arrow.

Use the Position Parameters: H Pos and V Pos to position the arrow.

Close the editor.  The arrow will remain at that position and the square on the screen of the Effect
    Editor, disappears.

You can add the usual fade in and fade out to that clip.

Height: 500 pixels
    Resolution: 200 pixels
    Color Mode: RGB Color 8 bit
    Background Contents: Transparent
    Color Profile: select using the down arrow:  xRGB IEC61966-2.1
    Pixels Aspect Ration: (select using the down arrow: Square Pixels.
    Then hit Save Preset and give it a name, such as TV Title

(**)
       You can find free fonts with graphics all over, download and install the ones that fit your
    needs.

Avid Media Composer version 6.5.4 on a PC. It has an INTE HEX CORE I7, 4930K, with 4 TB of internal storage,Intel cooling system for I7, 32 GB of memory... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller