Latest post Mon, Aug 7 2017 9:13 PM by Job ter Burg. 47 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 19 2017 11:03 AM In reply to

• damien78
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 7 2014
    • Zurich
    • Posts 11
    • Points 105

Re: Free Symphony with reinstatement - only for upgraders/expired licenses?

Sad but true... 

Speaking about editing software, competition has never been that strong and I suspect that, in the long run, loosing confidence of their core/loyal customers may hurt them stronger, changing customers mindset and behaviour. As others have already pointed out in this thread, it encourages us to think if it wouldn't be a far better option to let our plan lapsed waiting for the next offer...  The reply of Avid (underlining that it will proabaly be the last time they offer it) shows clearly that's also what they fear and try to avoid by let us thinking it won't happen anymore. Really?

As far as I'm concerned, I don't want to spend my time looking for "best deals", especially with proferssional equipments, as long as I don't feel "cheated" and it works well and reliably. We are here reduced to search for "tricks" for benefitting this offer !! Many are even ready to pay the same amount of money as people not currenty on plan, we didn't even ask for a better deal, but Avid considers that we have to pay now far more or wait for a potential undisclosed offer. I have myself a licence of MC7.0 in my account that I have used to upgrade to 8.0 and I was starting thinking if it may work or not... 

I'm currently looking for a new color correction tool: I've studied offers/been in contact with several companies, and I let you imagine which one is the only one for which I've absolutely no clear idea about what tools they will offer at which price by the end of the year (tthe more accurate information I've found is in the ACA vote result shared last friday). I just know by reading this thread  that there will be "an offer" for loyal customers, but not right now, and I'm not even sure it will concern color correction tools. I've got far more information from all other companies I've considered, even for unreleased products. The only reason I'm still considering Symphony and commenting here is that I'm used to MC, and it works well with my workstation.

I have already spent far too much time discussing this problem and don't want to moan anymore. I'm really disappointed how it turns out and I hope Avid will take very quickly a more reasonnable approach.

• Mon, Jun 19 2017 11:18 AM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    Do delas for loyal customers and you lose some money. Do deals for new customers you make money.

Not completely true. If the current 399 deal would be open to existing current licenses, it would mean a lot of people adding 12 months of support to their current license right now, this month, so that's an income spike -- albeit a short term one.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 19 2017 12:58 PM In reply to

BTW, we don't even know if the new CC tools will be part of MC as well as Symphony. If they are part of MC, then that could very well limit the value of Symphony anyway.

MC 8.2, AvidFX 6.4, BCC 8.2, Squeeze 8.1, QT 7.7.3, Nvidia driver 310.90, Window 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, IE9. Quadro 2000 and 600 videocards (three... [view my complete system specs]

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Jun 19 2017 1:55 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 344
    • Points 4,275

BobbyMurcerFan:
    we don't even know if the new CC tools will be part of MC as well as Symphony

If you look at the later messages in this thread...

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/180882.aspx

...you'll see I posed this question in regard of the 'roadmap' slide they unveiled at NAB, and the reply from Avid was that it's likely to be a Symphony enhancement.

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760WSonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DXSymphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 19 2017 6:20 PM In reply to

If there is one common trend around serious MC editors I noticed, is that they don't upgrde that often. I don't know exactly the reaaon why, I suspect it might be out of instablitly of newer versions, if it works why fix it right?

What I'm trying to say here is if there is one app that can go a lot of miles without upgrading that's Media Composer.

Three years of updating equals buying the app new, I'd rather sit on those updates now and become a more valued customer that an undervalued and unappreciated loyal one.

• Mon, Jun 19 2017 7:25 PM In reply to

Bruno M:

BobbyMurcerFan:
    we don't even know if the new CC tools will be part of MC as well as Symphony

If you look at the later messages in this thread...

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/180882.aspx

...you'll see I posed this question in regard of the 'roadmap' slide they unveiled at NAB, and the reply from Avid was that it's likely to be a Symphony enhancement.

Thanks for pointing that out!

MC 8.2, AvidFX 6.4, BCC 8.2, Squeeze 8.1, QT 7.7.3, Nvidia driver 310.90, Window 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, IE9. Quadro 2000 and 600 videocards (three... [view my complete system specs]

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Jun 19 2017 8:20 PM In reply to

• ns400r
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 9 2011
    • Nova Scotia/Toronto
    • Posts 28
    • Points 450

Renew your Media Composer Support Plan before the end of this month for just $399 and receive the Symphony Option, normally $749, for FREE! Don't miss out on this exceptional offer—valid only until June 30, 2017. bit.ly/free-symphony

renew is in the text Huh?

MC8.6.1, WIN10 - Dell T7500, Dual 5660 Xeon, 48GB ram, K2000D, GTX780SC, 12TB mini-sas, 12TB USB 3, Davinci Resolve Studio 12.5.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 20 2017 1:14 PM In reply to

As a loyal customer (25 Years, one sym, one MC licence) may I humbly suggest:

Include the Symphony tools in MC.

Everybody would be happy with that, and the only downside for Avid is the loss of the small income from anyone buying a perpetual Symphony licence in the future.

The disloyal customers would get the carrot for getting back in, and MC will have the tools, with the upcoming CC updates, to be a more competitive product.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona 3. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 14GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 20 2017 5:36 PM In reply to

I thought of this too. ;) But then it is rather misleading to those who upgrade for the "free" Symphony option... that was gong to be free anyway.

• Tue, Jun 20 2017 8:39 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,499
    • Points 110,995
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

All,

As kate said in her message - we are working on things for the second half for loyal customers....  rest assured aLL of your feedback and comments are ebing gathered ( as well as those on facebook ) and will be sent to Product management.

I am all over this one.....

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Jun 21 2017 5:48 PM In reply to

• rlowe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 24 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

We have three MC licenses expiring this Friday (June 23rd). From what I'm reading if I wait untill Monday I get the Symphony option for free but if I renew today I get zip.

• Wed, Jun 21 2017 7:44 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,499
    • Points 110,995
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Rlowe

Everyone always gets a 30 day grace period on an expiring license. So in theory you wouldnt expire until July 22rd which is the june date plus 30 days.  So if you renew anytime between June 23rd and July 22, it is considered a renewal and not a reinstateent.  The reistatement expires June 30th so... that wont work wither.

We are working on ways to provide added benefits to loyal customers in the second half of the year.

marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Jun 22 2017 12:03 PM In reply to

I guess grace giveth and grace taketh away, lol.

• Mon, Jun 26 2017 11:26 PM In reply to

BobbyMurcerFan:

I guess grace giveth and grace taketh away, lol.

Grace?

I thought it was Kate.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona 3. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 14GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 27 2017 1:46 AM In reply to

David,

From above:

Everyone always gets a 30 day grace period on an expiring license. So in theory you wouldnt expire until July 22rd which is the june date plus 30 days.  So if you renew anytime between June 23rd and July 22, it is considered a renewal and not a reinstateent.  The reistatement expires June 30th so... that wont work wither.

Page 3 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller