Latest post Sat, May 19 2018 12:14 AM by greenlight. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 13 2017 7:26 PM

Cannot ingest MVI_XXXX.mp4 media

All of a sudden, I can neither link nor import my usual media format clips into Avid. I’ve been on 8.8.2 having no problems...as I accessed drives to link clips, they showed as having been processed using the Quicktime Plug-In and showed the same in the Plugins column in the bin.

I’m now encountering two problems; 1) when I try to link or import clips from a source drive, the Plugin column now says “Not Processed.” QT 7.6.6 is in the Utility folder...so don’t understand what changed in such a short time. Image attached…

And 2), now when I try to open a drive in Source Browser and click on a drive, I get an "Assertion failed" error message…image attached. If I click on Continue, the app crashes.

Any help nuch appreciated.

Richard Wright

MacBookPro Retina (2015), Intel Core i7, 2.5 GHz, Memory-16 GBOSX 10.11.6, Avid Build 8.8.2GRaid 12 TB external [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 14 2017 4:20 AM In reply to

Re: Cannot ingest MVI_XXXX.mp4 media

Check the filename path - those colons might be a problem.  I know Avid and many other programs throw up all kinds of red flags for certain types of characters.  Periods, slashes and backslashes, vertical bars, colons - not just in the actual file name, but anywhere in the path.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 14 2017 6:02 PM In reply to

Thanks USA. That was it. What a bonehead move, I tried to enter a date in the folder name...5/12/17...and Avid converted the slashes into colons. I know better...should've noticed this. Thanks for the cold water in the face.

Cheers,

RWright

MacBookPro Retina (2015), Intel Core i7, 2.5 GHz, Memory-16 GBOSX 10.11.6, Avid Build 8.8.2GRaid 12 TB external [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 15 2017 9:44 AM In reply to

Very welcome!  I've been in the same place, racking my brain trying to figure out what was wrong, especially with error messages that didn't give a hint - especially when the filenames themselves were fine, but folder names multiple levels up had something like a vertical bar or colon.  So, the difficulty of that situation makes it much easier to remember its cause!

Generally speaking, I avoid anything but letters, numbers, dashes, and underscores - though other characters seem to be OK too, such as parentheses, commas, apostrophes, a few other things - but I figure those standard few things let me convey almost anything I can think of, and are most likely to be interpreted properly across upload servers, archive servers, Macs, Windows, Linux machines, and so forth.

Glad this was a quick fix!

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 19 2018 12:14 AM In reply to

• greenlight
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Thank you, guys! And thank you to this forum. This just saved my bacon. I was sent a drive and never noticed the back slashes. Now, I'm back in business.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller