Latest post Mon, Apr 24 2017 8:35 AM by IF.... 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Apr 23 2017 11:20 AM

• IF...
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Posts 64
    • Points 815

Relink AAF Audio channel duplicated

Hello everyone,

I work with MC 8.4.5 - WIn 7 pro sp1.

I have a project 1080/25p and I transcoded all my clips in XDCAM HD 50.

We shooted with a tascam linked to Canon 5d, so we have audio ch 1 with audio camera and audio ch2 with the tascam audio. In Avid project that's correct. I have two different tracks.

My director is editing sequences with Premiere Pro and send me AAF files. When I import and relink that sequences in Avid it works but the CH2 audio track dose not contain the tascam Audio, it has the same track of ch1, audio camera.

Anyone could give me a suggestion?

Thanks for your time,

Fabrizio

Custom PC: MC 5.5.4 | Adrenaline DNxCel| Cooler Master Silencio 550 | Motherboard AsRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 | Intel i3 2100 3.1Ghz | Ram 16GB Corsair VengeanceLp... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 23 2017 2:55 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 315
    • Points 3,900

Re: Relink AAF Audio channel duplicated

A few more details would be helpful.

Did you relink just the video or both the video and audio?

Did the director's AAF file just link to the media or did he/she include any media embedded in the AAF?

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760WSonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DXSymphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 23 2017 3:11 PM In reply to

• IF...
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 64
    • Points 815

Sorry, you are right,

I relinked bothe video and audio tracks, to do that I modify the source tape on both the clip, my transcoded clip and the offline clip created in the bin after AAF import.

I take some pictures to visualize what happen, I found that it takes only CH1 and duplicate it. when Tascam is on CH1 it duplicates Tascam audio track (good for me) but if Tascam is on CH2 then I have to load my transcoded clip in client monitor and overwrite audio on the sequence.

thank you.

Custom PC: MC 5.5.4 | Adrenaline DNxCel| Cooler Master Silencio 550 | Motherboard AsRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 | Intel i3 2100 3.1Ghz | Ram 16GB Corsair VengeanceLp... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 23 2017 3:13 PM In reply to

• IF...
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 64
    • Points 815

My transcode clip waveform

• Sun, Apr 23 2017 3:14 PM In reply to

• IF...
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 64
    • Points 815

Director's clip relinked

• Sun, Apr 23 2017 7:42 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 315
    • Points 3,900

It looks as if the AAF might have been created from a Premiere timeline that only had track 1 on both tracks.

Did you check with the director that he/she could definitely hear or see the Tascam audio on the timeline?

There's no obvious way of changing the audio track assignments when you import an AAF into MC, nor when you come to re-link.

The way I've done this in the past is to export your timeline as an EDL using the List tool. Now make sure that the format of the edl looks like this...

TITLE: test sequence dupe tracks
    FCM: NON-DROP FRAME
    001 AA4191 AA/V C 02:36:37:19 02:36:42:03 01:00:00:00 01:00:04:09
    002 AA4191 AA/V C 02:36:54:23 02:36:56:15 01:00:04:09 01:00:06:01

Where the track settings for each event is AA/V.

Now re-import this EDL back into MC, and relink to your media.

This should restore the A1 and A2 tracks to your timeline.

Bruno

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760WSonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DXSymphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 23 2017 8:24 PM In reply to

• IF...
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 64
    • Points 815

Thank you Bruno, we tried with EDL but when I import the file in MC I only have the sequence without the list of used clips so I don't know how to set the different tape source for each clip.

Tomorrow I'll see the Director and I will check how he worked with Premiere and how he set the audio tracks.

thanks for your suggestions.

F.

• Sun, Apr 23 2017 9:29 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 315
    • Points 3,900

IF...:
    we tried with EDL but when I import the file in MC I only have the sequence without the list of used clips so I don't know how to set the different tape source for each clip.

Not sure what you mean by setting the different tape source for each clip. The EDL example I showed on my previous post shows how the EDL displays source tape numbers. Going from left to right you first have the event numbers, then the tape/source name - which in my example was AA4191. When you import this EDL to create the sequence, this source number should carry across. It's now a matter of relinking the sequence to your master clips.

If you want to get all the source clips used in the sequence you can decompose the sequence (Clip-Decompose), which will give you a list of master clips.

Relinking master clips or sequences can be a pain sometimes, as you'll often have to play around with all the options/settings until you find those that work.

As long as the exported EDL has time-codes for source/record, and tape numbers in the second column (that matches those of your media), you should be good to relink. I know there are times when problems can occur when using file-based media, where there's nothing shown in the 'Tape' column when you set your bin display to show this column. I seem to remember in the past copying and pasting file names from the 'Name' column to the 'Tape' column to help in re-linking AMA media.

• Sun, Apr 23 2017 10:45 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 2,993
    • Points 36,365

I have had some success moving from Premiere to Avid by creating an XML in Premiere, opening and relinking in Resolve and createding an AAF there for Avid.

I have had almost no luck going directly from Premiere to Avid with an AAF.

Just an idea.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.4.5 / 8.5.2 | OS 10.10.x / OS Yosemite - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

New Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Apr 24 2017 5:52 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,603
    • Points 18,340

At a guess it is something to do with multichannel audio. By default PP uses stereo tracks. You might have better luck if you modify the audio channels in PP to be dual channel mono. In PP you can only do this before you put it on the timeline so even if it does fix the issue it won't help with already edited material. 

In PP - right click on the source clips in the bin (you can select as many as you like if the source audio is the same format) - choose modify>audio. You'll most likely see 1 stereo track with L and R assignments. Change this to mono, 2 tracks and assign L to channel 1 and R to channel 2. I'm not sure this will solve the problem but worth a quick experiment. 

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Mon, Apr 24 2017 8:35 AM In reply to

• IF...
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 64
    • Points 815

Thank you all for your suggestions,

I'll make some tests and post the results.

THANKS

Fabrizio.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller