Latest post Fri, Apr 13 2018 6:22 AM by George Angeludis. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 14 2017 1:55 PM

DNxHD HR HQ

Hello community, 

I'm trying to figure out the difference between DNxHD, DNxHR and DNxHQ - when would you use one over the other?

If someone could explain I would be most appreciative!

Thanks

Michael

• Fri, Apr 14 2017 2:31 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,402
    • Points 15,445

Re: DNxHD HR HQ

AVID MC2018.9 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 390.77, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 14 2017 5:12 PM In reply to

DNxHD is HD resolutions only (1080i, 1080p, 720p).  It's compatible with many years of Avid releases.

DNxHR is a newer codec, released with MC 8.3, that can be used for ANY resolution and frame rate, from SD or lower, up through UHD/4K and higher..  However, it can't be used in releases before MC 8.3.

DNxHQ is actually "DNxHR-HQ" - the "HQ" flavor of the DNxHR codec.  Similar to DNxHR-SQ, DNxHR-LB, or DNxHR-444.

So, if you need to transcode to a HD format for use by someone on MC7 (or 6... 5... 4... etc.), you'd use DNxHD.

If you're working in MC 8.8 and want to transcode your 4K material - you can use a form of DNxHR.  You can also use it for HD and SD material too, as long as you don't need to bring that material into MC7 or older, or even the first couple of MC8 releases, which didn't have DNxHR yet.

Or, you can transcode your raw material to DNxHR-LB proxies, either at same, 1/4, or 1/16 frame size, to save space while you make decisions.

Or, if someone sends you some weird, non-broadcast frame rate, like 15 fps or whatever else, you can use DNxHR to keep that source framerate.

Basically, DNxHR opens up options with size and rate that weren't possible with DNxHD, but can't be used by older software versions.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 14 2017 6:11 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,271
    • Points 39,695

I would point out one big issue with DNx HR - Interlace.  It does not seem to support interlace.  I say "seem" as I can not find an official statement to that fact.  But I have attempted to use it in interlace project and seen render errors that definitely pointed to the lack of interace support.  Specifically I was doing some work in After Effect and chose DNx HR even though it was a 1920 x 1080 projet, and had AE render in fields.  There was a visible artifact that was not present when I rendered with DNx HD.

Just a warning.

This was a dissapointment, as I was hoping to be able to use DNx HR in SD projects rather than ProRes.  But I guess I will not be doing that .....

Jef 

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Apr 14 2017 6:59 PM In reply to

Awesome! Thanks so much for your clear explanation, think I'm going to stay with DNxHD for now as at times it's neccessary to backwards travel to older versions of Avid MC when there are other editors on board.

• Sat, Apr 15 2017 1:47 AM In reply to

Also realize that HR is not recognized by as many media players, even if you have the current Avid codecs installed. For example, VLC cannot playback DNxHR but it can playback DNxHD. QT Player will play either.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Apr 22 2017 10:29 PM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Chicago
    • Posts 168
    • Points 2,300

I just had to figure all this out for myself last week. If the DNxHR codecs used a bit rate in the description instead of just LB, SQ, and HQ it would have helped me come to grips with it more quickly. Although I realize this is not practical since every resolution and fps requires a different bit rate.

I did manage to find this however:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/white_paper/ISIS-Bandwidth-for-DNxHR-Material

which does tell you the bandwidth for each resolution and therefore is a good indication of the quality too.

Compare to the DNxHD bit rates here:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/white_paper/HD-and-SD-Media-Bandwidth-Specifications

Comparing both for a 1080p/29.97 project:

• LB is proxy, similar to DNxHD 45
    • There is no DNxHR equivalent to DNxHD 100
    • SQ is similar to DNxHD 145 (both at 18MB/sec)
    • HQ/X is equivalent to DNxHD 220/X (both around 28MB/s, although X is 12-bits not 10-bits?)
    • Plus, DNxHR adds 444 which doubles the bandwidth of HQX at any given resolution

Self-built -- Always current MC version with Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, System: X99 Motherboard and Core i7-6850K, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 23 2017 9:13 AM In reply to

If the DNxHR codecs used a bit rate in the description 

But since it can be any frame rate or canvas size, that bit rate isn't fixed. Like with ProRes, there's a handful of flavors.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 31 2017 7:40 PM In reply to

• ramz434
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Long Island
    • Posts 185
    • Points 2,290

BobbyMurcerFan:

Also realize that HR is not recognized by as many media players, even if you have the current Avid codecs installed. For example, VLC cannot playback DNxHR but it can playback DNxHD. QT Player will play either.

You can go and grab the nightlies of VLC 3.0 and that does support DNxHR - same with MPC-HC. 

- HP Z400/24gb ram/Windows 10/MC8.9.4/256gb Samsung SSD/ NVidia GTX 1080/HP ZR22 Monitors/ - Macbook Pro/16gb ram/OS 10.13/MC8.9.4/NVIDIA GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 12 2018 8:40 PM In reply to

Question. I had sent to a broadcaster who uses Avid some DNxHR HQ 10-bit files with MXF wrapper, but he can't seem to see the video. He only hears the audio. Is there something he needs to download on the Avid side for the files to work? I don't know much about Avid as I had exported these files from Premiere Pro and it works fine on Premiere.

Thanks!

Chris

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 6:17 AM In reply to

Chris Hsiung:

Question. I had sent to a broadcaster who uses Avid some DNxHR HQ 10-bit files with MXF wrapper, but he can't seem to see the video. He only hears the audio. Is there something he needs to download on the Avid side for the files to work? I don't know much about Avid as I had exported these files from Premiere Pro and it works fine on Premiere.

Thanks!

Chris

It's weird that he can not see the video as long as he uses Avid.

Avid codecs should be present in the system.

However send him the codecs again.

Avid 2.7.3 LE codecs.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.11 with Symphony Option on Dongle/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 6:22 AM In reply to

BobbyMurcerFan:

I can play DNxHR fine in MPC-HC.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.11 with Symphony Option on Dongle/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller