Latest post Thu, Apr 13 2017 4:13 PM by ryguy. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 12 2017 5:13 PM

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 30 2009
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

Imported lower third turns white

Hi All, a very strange thing has happened to me. I needed to import a lower third graphic with an alpha. So as usual my settings are:

Image sized for current format

Do not scale colours 

Do not invert alpha channels (Black = opaque)

The lower third came in just as expected. I cut the matte key clip into my timeline on V2 over top of some video. I added the fade effect onto it and played it back. It was perfect, just as I have done a million times. 

I clicked away to another timeline and when I came back I noticed that the lower third now was solid white. There was no lower third the way it had been just minutes ago. It seemed that the lower third changed into a solid white clip. I was confused and so I rendered it out to see if that would fix it. Once rendered the section that was supposed to play the lower third now played a freeze frame of what looked like a dissolve from another section of the timeline. So it would play video as normal then random freeze frame during the lower thirds time and then back to the video underneath. 

So I went to the matte key clip in my bin to look at the source and it is now a solid white clip! WTF! so I deleted the clip and re-imported it and it now comes in as a white clip every time.

I went back to the source file that I had imported into avid just to check if something was wrong but it seems fine.

I am stumped! any ideas? 

Main Workstation: Dell Precision T7600, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E5-2687W @ 3.10GHz 2x, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 4000, Running Avid Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 12 2017 6:12 PM In reply to

Re: Imported lower third turns white

ryguy:
    I deleted the clip and re-imported it and it now comes in as a white clip every time.
    Did you delete the clip media and Batch Re-Import the clip? Or a delete the clip and clip media and do a new Import?

I would try renaming the file and doing a new import.

ryguy:
    Do not invert alpha channels (Black = opaque)
    I have always use invert the Alpha  with MC

• Wed, Apr 12 2017 6:19 PM In reply to

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

Hi, I did both. I first only deleted the media and tried a batch re-import and when that didn't work I tried a complete delete and imported again fresh. neither helped.

I will try renaming and importing again.

I used to always do "invert alpha (White = opaque)" but my graphics guy outputs them this way now so I have to use not invert for them to show up properly.

Main Workstation: Dell Precision T7600, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E5-2687W @ 3.10GHz 2x, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 4000, Running Avid Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 12 2017 6:45 PM In reply to

If the new test did not work I would try making a new test project. New timeline and a new user. Link to some video and try your usual graphic import to see if this works.  Looking to find out whether it could be corupt user settings, corupt timeline, etc.  Good luck.

• Wed, Apr 12 2017 7:53 PM In reply to

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

Oh boy! Avid has been testing my patience lately. 

So I renamed the lower third file and tried again.

now there is a different problem I am having. when I import the lower third and click on it to bring it up on the source monitor it stays black and in the bottom left corner it says

"SFPlayConsumer::Execute TIMEOUT"

I was in another project before I tried importing the lower third and noticed that one of my other linked 4k clips was giving me the same error message when trying to load it into the source monitor.

uhg!

Does anyone know what this error message means?

• Thu, Apr 13 2017 1:31 PM In reply to

When you make graphics with alpha channels in Photoshop, make sure it is set to 8-bit and not 16-bit. I often make graphics in UHD from scratch and Photoshop will default to a 16-bit file type. When I do this, the graphic always comes in as blank white.

Top menu: Image --> Mode --> 8bits/Channel

Hopefully, this solves your issue.

Marc

Windows 10 Enterprise - Dell Precision 7810 - 32GB RAM - DNxIO - Nvidia Quadro M5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 13 2017 4:13 PM In reply to

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

Well I deleted the clip and shut down the whole computer and started it back up again and so far everything is behaving normally. I imported the clip again and it seems to be working. So I don't know what was happening but it seems to be resolved for now.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller