Latest post Tue, May 9 2017 9:51 AM by mjolnarn. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 11 2017 6:08 PM

Media Composer 8.8.2 NOW AVAILABLE - 11 April 2017

We are pleased to announce the release of Media Composer v8.8.2.  

Location:  Media Composer v8.8.2 is available from My Avid Master Accounts, Application Manager, and the Avid Download Center (login and password required) today, April 11, 2017.

Change in v8.8.2:  The following has been changed:

-  Update to QuickTime Live Link Procedure -  use the QuickTime Live Link option if you update your QuickTime file in a 3rd party application such as After Effects or Final Cut Pro. For workflow information see the ReadMe.

Fixed in v8.8.2:  The following have been fixed:

-  In previous releases, when working with media with effects or media where space, time or color adapters were rendered during transcode or video mix-down, you might have seen artifacts during playback or export. With this release, changes have been made to greatly reduce the occurrence of artifacts appearing during playback or export. In the rare occasion where you see artifacts, go to the Render Settings dialog and choose Disable GPU effects.

-  When applying a Flop effect to a stereoscopic clip, the eyes were swapped also. Eyes will not be swapped unless the “swap eyes” option is selected in the effect’s stereoscopic options in the Effect editor.

-   (DNxIO) Choosing Composite Pal showed 1080i Composite which resulted in a “No valid video signal” error when trying to capture.

-   In some instances, rendering a Color Correction effect, resulted in a one frame glitch.

-   In the Send to Playback dialog box, the Tape ID field was too small to show the full Tape ID string

-   When loading a sequence or a clip and instantly hitting play, the LTC out on Nitris DX did not output timecode.

-   Splice-in Segment tool broke track sync when Segment Drag Sync Locks was enabled in the Timeline Settings.

-   Sequences with clips with more than 20 min clip duration caused a noticeable delay in playback when I/O hardware was enabled.

-    Committing MultiCamera edits caused the image to shrink.

-   Performing a batch re-import of a sequence created a clip with the duration of the original master clip, not the shorter duration of the sequence.

-   In some instances, Match frame fails on sequences directly loaded from the Interplay window.

-   When working in 9-way MultiCam mode, after switching camera  banks, mapped keys selected wrong camera angles.

-   You might have received an “Invalid trim” error message when trying to lift or extract a frame that is in a dissolve just before the edit.

-   In some instances, Full Screen playback did not show real time changes if the Composer Window was hidden.

-   In some instances when MultiCam editing, using the Up and Down arrows to change the camera did not work.

-   Audio track names did not always appear in the Audio Mixer Tool.

-   Renaming audio tracks in a sequence made from a previous version of Media Composer resulted in sluggishness when scrubbing the Timeline.

-   Creating a new UHD project using any preset with a DeckLink 4K, resulted in an “AMEResourceManager:ReconfigHW_LegendBoB” error.

-   You might have received an “Assertion failed” error when trying to login to Avid Interplay from the Media Composer project window.

-   You might have received a “Fatal abort” error when performing fast editing with Top and Tail commands.

-   The sequence where the Commit Multicam Edits was applied, shifted the original edit of the sequence.

-   In some instances, AUX Ink TC did not respond while scrollingin the Timeline.

-   After upgrading to Media Composer v8.7.2 from v8.6.4, the Time Code Burn-in effect for ink numbers and DPX appeared as N/A.

ReadMe:  The ReadMe for this release is on the Knowledge Base “Media Composer v8.x Documentation” page.

How Customers will obtain the Media Composer v8.8.2:   

1. Customers who have already installed the latest version of Media Composer will be notified of the availability of the v8.8.2 upgrade via the Application Manager . The Apps tab will also provide a link to download and install the update when desired.
    2. New customers who purchase Media Composer on or after April 11th, 2017 will receive this v8.8.2 update in their Avid Master Account.
    3. Customers on current Upgrade & Support plans can download the Media Composer v8.8.2 update either from their Avid Master Account or the Avid Download Center (login and password required.) 
    4. Customers not on a current Upgrade & Support contract must purchase an upgrade via the special offer available for Media Composer v3.0 and higher licenses.  This offer expires June 30th, 2017.
    Media Composer 8.8.2 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Apr 12 2017 12:18 PM In reply to

• Rihafilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 19 2010
    • Posts 39
    • Points 540

Re: Media Composer 8.8.2 NOW AVAILABLE - 11 April 2017

Thanks for this extensive bugfix update.

Two points of criticism though:

1. "changes have been made to GREATLY REDUCE the occurrence of artifacts appearing during playback or export"
    This does not sound very reliable for a productive environment!

2. no word about the "video compression not recognised" bug :(
    any news on this???
    getting mxf files from Resolve to work inside Avid is a game of pure chance atm. 

MC 8.7.2, DNxIO 10.8.3, Windows 10 x64 Pro, 2x Xeon E5-2630 v3, Quadro M4000 (376.62), 32GB RAM, RAIDdeluxe 6Gb SAS 32TB 16-bay RAID-6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 12 2017 5:05 PM In reply to

• jasonsaro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 553
    • Points 6,700

Alright here we go... Who downloaded it and installed it?!?!?!?!  Wait for it....... Does it all "work"???

Had to ask..

Im mid string on tight deadlines, so im staying on 8.4.5 for a while still.

Jay

ISIS 5500 - 240 Tb HPZ840 - MC 8.4.5 XDCAM HD - XDCAM EX - HDCAM -- HDCAM SR [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 12 2017 6:04 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,343
    • Points 159,220

Rihafilm:

1. "changes have been made to GREATLY REDUCE the occurrence of artifacts appearing during playback or export"

You will still need to have the GPU render options disabled unfortunately

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Apr 13 2017 12:21 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 2,990
    • Points 36,320

Rihafilm:

any news on this???
    getting mxf files from Resolve to work inside Avid is a game of pure chance atm. 

Unfortunately, I must agree with both of these comments.

I really hope that work continues on item 1 above.  I can not just hope that there are no artifacts.  QC is too expensive for that.  Deadlines are too tight.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.4.5 / 8.5.2 | OS 10.10.x / OS Yosemite - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

New Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Apr 13 2017 7:04 AM In reply to

jef:

Hmmm. I don't remember ever seeing a bug fix like that. Wondering what individual testing needs to be done before one updates a system to interplay 3.7 and MC 8.8.2 as downgrades of interplay are not supported and MC 8.6.5 with interplay 3.6 client is still not supported in an interplay 3.7 core.

For example when a TV station upgrades from workgroup4 mediamanager system and has to transcode tons of archived SD OMF media to HD. Still looks better to me to stay save and use 8.6.5.

But these fixez in newer interplay versions... they are needed as well. Difficult.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Apr 13 2017 9:30 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,343
    • Points 159,220

I have suggested , elseplace , to replace the render engine in later Avid versions with the one from 8.65

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Apr 13 2017 10:49 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,409
    • Points 57,665

If you can't trust the render engine, you can't use the product. It's simply not reasonable to look at every frame of hours of video to make sure the render didn't introduce a glitch.

So - if you use a version of MC > 8.6.5 then you must disable the GPU render option.

Having said this - do we know for certain that the glitches are NEVER seen with the GPU option disabled or does the likelihood of glitches simply decrease when this option is disabled?

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 3+ | MC 8.8.0 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 10.0.2 | Boris RED 5.5 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D-E, Core i7 960, Quadro K4200... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Thu, Apr 13 2017 2:23 PM In reply to

Hi Maria,

While you fixed the bug with the LegendBOB error for Decklink 4K models using UHD 60p mode, it is still completely useless for me for the following reason:

You force a DOWNCONVERT on the Blackmagic hardware to 1080p60.  I need to be able to play out the native UHD 60P FOOTAGE OUT OF THE SDI AND HDMI OUTPUTS in their native 4K resolution, not 1080p - the image looks soft that way. All my monitors in my studio have HDMI 4K inputs and all have 4K resolution.

In previous versions of Media Composer and Decklink Video driver, I *Was* able to watch the native 4K60p footage.

For 4K 24p and 30p, I get the native 4K output from the SDI and HDMI outputs.

With 60p, it downconverts to 1080p.  I don't want to downconvert the footage out the Blackmagic, please. This is not a good fix to the issue.

Thanks,

Asaf

• Thu, Apr 13 2017 2:27 PM In reply to

Here is the image:

Why do you force a downconvert???? The card is capable of 4K 60P out.  I've tried this in Premiere Pro and Blackmaigc Express. This is not acceptable.

• Thu, Apr 13 2017 2:29 PM In reply to

• Thu, Apr 13 2017 7:35 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 330
    • Points 4,065

jef:

Rihafilm:

any news on this???

Unfortunately, I must agree with both of these comments.

I really hope that work is continues on item 1 above.  I can not just hope that there are no artifacts.  QC is too expensive for that.  Deadlines are too tight.

Jef

+1

Of course "greatly reduced" is worthless. Avid, please share the instances where you have seen this continue to be a problem - or setups where it now works correctly. "Occasional", "seldom", "rarely", etc. do not cut it. And fix it 100% by next release please.

Avid MC 8.8 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Thu, Apr 13 2017 10:14 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,343
    • Points 159,220

bonang:

Of course "greatly reduced" is worthless.

Jepp , as said , the render engine in 8.65 works for broadcast and QC , just to replace it with that one, might demand some hard work , but that´s what we are paying for, things aren´t always easy.

Tomas 

• Tue, Apr 18 2017 11:27 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • KTOWN LOS ANGELES
    • Posts 218
    • Points 3,030

It doesnt make sense that if I have 3 displays, and my far right display is full screen playback, everytime I save, the popup comes up on the far right monitor and gets me out of full screen playback.

Please, fix this once and for all.

I like software only because the system just works faster, but this is a little annoying.

A work around, is make far left monitor full screen playback.  Drag my workspace so that im working on monitors 2 and 3, but then if I open bins sometimes, they open outside of my working area, even if I center or bring to home, they go missing. I would suggest working with 3 monitors and see the kinks with this setup because there are a lot of improvements to be made.

I wish I avid would know which monitor I want my bins in, and by default, all my bins will open on that monitor, and which monitor I want for full screen playback, and never have a mixer, or bin, or anything ever appear on my full screen playback monitor.

thanks

custom 4790k, asus z97 gryphon mobo, 32gb ram, win10 home, MediaComposer 8.8.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 19 2017 3:57 PM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 15 2010
    • los angeles
    • Posts 516
    • Points 5,885

since we're on the monitors subject,

i was wondering if anything can be done to use again monitors with different resolution simultaneously, like in a few versions back...?

mc 8.8.4 - QT essential 7.7.9 - win 10 pro64 creators - nVidia gtx1080 OC (378.66) - intel i7 6800k@4.1ghz water cooled by corsair H100i V2 - MSI X99A... [view my complete system specs]

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller