Latest post Wed, Dec 6 2017 5:23 PM by Henrik Fleischer. 88 replies.
Page 5 of 6 (89 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 30 2017 8:00 PM In reply to

Re: Editing Panasonic GH5 files

I cannot use the Generic plug-in at all.  I select "Generic" instead of Quicktime in the Source Browser, but it doesn't work.  It still reports i'm using the Quicktime plug-in.  Does this mean I have to uninstall Quicktime completely?

Using 8.9.1 on Windows with Quicktime installed.

Also, i'm slow in reading all these posts -- are you guys saying that I can take GH5 .mp4 AND .mov files and link them to 8.9.1 without any transcoding?

• Wed, Aug 30 2017 8:27 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,391
    • Points 15,305

Toby:

"The latest version of Avid - 8.9.1 - uses a GENERIC plugin to read some codecs that Avid was previously using the Quicktime plugin for. And certain files from the GH5, when linked into 8.9.1, the GENERIC plugin reads and plays the files (apparently) correctly HOWEVER it counts the end frame incorrectly. This means that the 'duration' according to Avid is actually wrong - it is one frame less than the TRUE duration. Other applications, such as Resolve, read the 'true' duration properly."

Is this right?

So there is nothing particularly 'wrong' with the footage in Avid - people can still go ahead and edit with it and it's fine - but the frame counts will be wrong so any 'frame accurate' stuff won't work. Yeah?

Yes, that's the problem.

The Avid Generic plug-in reads and plays the material, but misinterprets the TC and the length of the clip. The point is that the same clips connected with Quicktime plug-in and Avid Generik plug-in are different clips for MC. There will be no backlinks. Or maybe linking to transcoded material in other applications (DaVinci Resolve, Convertor V4 etc ...)

Regards

V.

AVID MC8.9.4 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 385.08, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.9.5, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 30 2017 8:33 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,391
    • Points 15,305

AsafBlasberg:

I cannot use the Generic plug-in at all.  I select "Generic" instead of Quicktime in the Source Browser, but it doesn't work.  It still reports i'm using the Quicktime plug-in.  Does this mean I have to uninstall Quicktime completely?

Using 8.9.1 on Windows with Quicktime installed.

Also, i'm slow in reading all these posts -- are you guys saying that I can take GH5 .mp4 AND .mov files and link them to 8.9.1 without any transcoding?

Quicktime I have installed and the Generic plugin is activated automatically. On the contrary, I have to manually select the Quicktime plug-in. So the problem is probably somewhere in your system.
    GH5 clips are linked directly, but my system is not performing well for direct playback, so I have to translate into the DNxHR of the required quality. (LB - offline, HQX - Online)

Regards

V.

AVID MC8.9.4 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 385.08, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.9.5, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 30 2017 9:04 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,238
    • Points 41,885
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

.MOV files are always interpreted by the QT plug-in. An MP4 may be interpreted as a QT file depending on the CODEC ID (fourcc) in the file header. For example, XAVC and mp42 will be read using the generic plug-in whereas isom (which also supports avc) will use the QT plug-in.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Aug 30 2017 9:10 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 4 2013
    • Los Angeles, California
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

DStone, can you clarify this - you're saying that, regardless of what Avid is telling us, the .mov files are actually being interpreted by Quicktime? Because the .mov files are DEFINITELY saying they are being interpreted by the Generic Plug-in. And they work very well on my system.

Also, Villem, FYI I'm not able to replicate the frame duration issue on my end with Avid 8.9.1 and DaVinci Resolve Studio Beta 14.0b8 on Windows, with GH5 10-bit 24fps (true 24fps) .mov files --> but that might be because the files I'm playing with are shot with GH5 firmware 2.0

I have made a video showing this and shall upload.

I shall try the same thing with firmware 1.2 GH5 files...

PC tower: 2015 machine with Thunderbolt 2. Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4Ghz. 32gb RAM. 64 bit Win7 Home Premium. Avid 8.9.1 (as of late Aug 2017). GTX 760. Raid0... [view my complete system specs]

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

• Wed, Aug 30 2017 9:13 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,717
    • Points 113,660
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I was chatting with one of our senior techs and we cme to this conclusion.

it could be a bug, because, if my understanding is correct, there appears to be two different ways of importing the footage which gives us two different TC.  

Can you double check if the way it's imported or the project settings itself does not have impact on how Media Composer is calculating timecode?  It looks like in the file it is only written the beggining of TC + duration.

One more thing -  Resolve interprets the footage in the same way as Media Composer, so maybe it's a bug in Premiere.....What would be good for us to know is how the end timecode should be according to Panasonic software. There is also a possibility that they just rushed when implementing industry standards in Panasonic and it's a bug on their side ;)

We need to have the files on our side, but I can see that Andrea asked for that.   I added all of you to the case so you all can follow along.

I am going to go after the panasonic end of this one.....

Marianna

p.s. whats in the water today - a lot of crazy issues :)  My head hurts :)

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Aug 30 2017 9:16 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,391
    • Points 15,305

DStone:
    .MOV files are always interpreted by the QT plug-in.

Hello,
    I can ".mov" files from GH5 connected using two plug-in. (Qt, Generic)

V.

• Wed, Aug 30 2017 9:23 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,391
    • Points 15,305

Toby:
    Also, Villem, FYI I'm not able to replicate the frame duration issue on my end with Avid 8.9.1 and DaVinci Resolve Studio Beta 14.0b8 on Windows, with GH5 10-bit 24fps (true 24fps) .mov files --> but that might be because the files I'm playing with are shot with GH5 firmware 2.0

Here are two variables.
    1. My tests are 50p material.
    2. I do not have firmware 2.0. It is not yet available on the website of my region.

You can try to set the system frequency to "PAL" and do a 50p test.

V.

• Wed, Aug 30 2017 9:37 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,391
    • Points 15,305

Marianna:

Can you double check if the way it's imported or the project settings itself does not have impact on how Media Composer is calculating timecode?  It looks like in the file it is only written the beggining of TC + duration.

One more thing -  Resolve interprets the footage in the same way as Media Composer, so maybe it's a bug in Premiere.....What would be good for us to know is how the end timecode should be according to Panasonic software. There is also a possibility that they just rushed when implementing industry standards in Panasonic and it's a bug on their side ;)

We need to have the files on our side, but I can see that Andrea asked for that.   I added all of you to the case so you all can follow along.

I am going to go after the panasonic end of this one.....

Marianna

p.s. whats in the water today - a lot of crazy issues :)  My head hurts :)

Hello Mariana,

I tested in 50p UHD and HD settings.
    I sent files to Andrea.
    Resolve interprets the files differently than the MC Generic plug-in but just like Quicktime plu-in

V.

P.S. I wish you the clear sun in the sky and in your soul.

• Thu, Aug 31 2017 12:11 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,238
    • Points 41,885

Toby:
    DStone, can you clarify this - you're saying that, regardless of what Avid is telling us, the .mov files are actually being interpreted by Quicktime? Because the .mov files are DEFINITELY saying they are being interpreted by the Generic Plug-in.
    The only GH5 .MOV file I've been able to find online is ProRes 4:2:2 and is marked internally as QT. All of the .MOV files created by Convert V4/Dali are also marked as QT.

If someone could upload a .MOV file somewhere from which I could pull it, I'd like to dump the structure and see what it says.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Aug 31 2017 12:24 AM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

Dave that's a little frustrating - I assumed, from your posts, that you had actual GH5 files and were contributing your findings! :-(

Are you just "guessing" what plug-in that Avid 8.9.1 is using to interpret H264 10-bit files from the GH5? If so, that isn't very helpful I'm afraid. The "link" dialogue box definitely says GENERIC as the default (although you can CHOOSE quicktime to override this).

FYI GH5 doesn't record ProRes. The GH5 .mov files are H264. The new firmware, in late September, will record H265 for some files but mostly H264.

PC tower: 2015 machine with Thunderbolt 2. Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4Ghz. 32gb RAM. 64 bit Win7 Home Premium. Avid 8.9.1 (as of late Aug 2017). GTX 760. Raid0... [view my complete system specs]

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

• Thu, Aug 31 2017 12:35 AM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

Hi everyone,

I made two videos showing GH5 files linking easily into Avid 8.9.1 on PC.

The first video is with the current GH5 firmware, 1.2:

https://vimeo.com/231803785

(Made with my own footage.)

The second video is with the upcoming 2.0 firmware:

https://vimeo.com/231780540

(The GH5 files that I used are Andrew Reid's sample files, available HERE.)

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

• Thu, Aug 31 2017 6:47 AM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,391
    • Points 15,305

Toby:

The second video is with the upcoming 2.0 firmware:

https://vimeo.com/231780540

(The GH5 files that I used are Andrew Reid's sample files, available HERE.)

Hello Toby,

Thanks for the reference, very interesting reading. I'm looking forward to the end of September. Smile

Because you have access to 2.0 firmware, I only have a question about whether the ALL-I codec is available for UHD 50p. Perhaps only 8bit. UHD 50p is my main format for shooting.

Thank you in advance for the answer.

V.

• Thu, Aug 31 2017 7:00 AM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 872
    • Points 11,225

Vilem:

"The latest version of Avid - 8.9.1 - uses a GENERIC plugin to read some codecs that Avid was previously using the Quicktime plugin for. And certain files from the GH5, when linked into 8.9.1, the GENERIC plugin reads and plays the files (apparently) correctly HOWEVER it counts the end frame incorrectly. This means that the 'duration' according to Avid is actually wrong - it is one frame less than the TRUE duration. Other applications, such as Resolve, read the 'true' duration properly."

Is this right?

Your finding is correct. The Avid Generic Plug-In has a bug with timecode reading. It systematically deletes the last frame of a clip. If you have a sequence of clips and place them on a timeline, you will find a frame missing at any cut, with other words, your timecode jumps by 2 frames at each clip boundary. The only workaround is to manually select the QuickTime Plugin for linking, provided you have used the .MOV container for recodring.

This issue is known by Avid, and they work on a solution.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Thu, Aug 31 2017 2:19 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,238
    • Points 41,885

Toby,

I've access to a number of cameras, but the GH5 isn't one of them. In these cases I pull samples off the web. The sample I pulled was marked as a GH5 file. I didn't know at the time that it had been recorded from a GH5 via an external recorder, as it wasn't mentioned as such. Unfortunately, that's the only .MOV file that I was able to find. Everything else is either MP4 or stuff posted to YouTube/Vimeo/Etc.

Dave S.

Page 5 of 6 (89 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller