Latest post Wed, Dec 6 2017 5:23 PM by Henrik Fleischer. 88 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (89 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 7 2017 5:30 PM

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 689
    • Points 10,505

Editing Panasonic GH5 files

So I just unboxed my new Panasonic GH5, and shot my first 4K files. And Media Composer says the files are not recognized. Of course. Why didn't I see this coming? I'd like to be able to edit the 4:2:2 4K files, but now I'm wondering if anything shot on my new camera will be usable in Media Composer. Has anyone had any luck with files from the GH5? If so, what settings are you using to shoot?  Will I be able to even use 1080p files from the GH5 in Media Composer? Or am I just royally out of luck? 

Super frustrated.

Media Composer 8.X (usually newest release), Avid matrix-recommended versions of both Nvidia driver and Quicktime, Matrox Mini MX02, Self-built machine... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Fri, Apr 7 2017 9:25 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 343
    • Points 4,520

Re: Editing Panasonic GH5 files

Sorry I can't give you an answer until I test my GH5 tonight, but did you ever link to files from the GH4? I didn't think the file format had changed, and I had no problem with the MOV files from the older model.

jd

Avid Media Composer 8.9.3 Symphony option, Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Express /Aja IO 4K on Mac OS 10.13, iMac 5K (Late 2014) 4 Ghz Intel Core i7, 32... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 8 2017 3:56 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 343
    • Points 4,520

I've done a couple of tests and here's what I've found so far:

Recording in MOV 4096x2160, 422/10 bit/LongGOP makes a file that Avid can't decode. It plays as a green screen in the monitor.

Recording in MOV 4096x2160 420/8 bit/LongGOP creates a file that plays back normally in Avid.

I haven't tested all the record options, but if you're looking for a way in until Avid supports the 10 bit codec, you can use at least one of the other 4K record options.

I'm sure we'll hear more once the camera becomes more integrated into various workflows.

Avid Media Composer 8.9.3 Symphony option, Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Express /Aja IO 4K on Mac OS 10.13, iMac 5K (Late 2014) 4 Ghz Intel Core i7, 32... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 8 2017 4:31 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,238
    • Points 41,885
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I'm wondering if the 10-bit CODEC is only supported for the extended (paid) version of Panansonic's AMA plug-in. There is a 30-day trial mode. You have to enable the extended features after installation. I don't have the Panasonic plug-in installed, so I don't know where or how to enable the features (there are 4 of them; I believe it's the re-link option you want).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sat, Apr 8 2017 6:00 PM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 15 2010
    • los angeles
    • Posts 555
    • Points 6,250

here, using a .mov file from gh5 UHD long gop 4:2:2 10 bit/23.976 do give a green screen in mc as well.

i experimented with two ways to transcode to usable files staying in 10 bit:

adobe encoder cc2017: op1a DNxHR HQX 10 bit

convert v4: prores yuv 4:2:2 10bit

the new files link and play on a UHD timeline in mc 8.8.1.

on my system, the dnx play instantly and very smoothly, back and forth (a little better than the prores).

ps  the prores has a higher sampling rate, therefore is a larger file in my test...

mc 8.9.4 with symphony - QT essential 7.7.9 - win 10 pro64 creators - nVidia gtx1080 OC (388.31) - intel i7 6800k@4.1ghz water cooled by corsair H100i... [view my complete system specs]

the time you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted time...

• Mon, Apr 10 2017 2:47 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 689
    • Points 10,505

Ok, so this is some good news. I appreciate you guys posting these options. I was unaware Panasonic had a paid AMA, but I will look into that.

Even if I can't get the 10-bit to work yet, at least it seems there are some formats that will work with Media Composer and 8-bit video.

I'm not at all interested in trasnsoding files and importing them - I'm really looking to AMA link. So, Media Composer still looks like it's a very poor choice for 10-bit files. But I guess I can always use Premiere Pro, or most other NLEs on the market to edit the other formats that Avid can't handle. (Even some free ones I would imagine). Hmm

So, that's at least something. Although it's quite a scathing indictment of Avid's software. 

Media Composer 8.X (usually newest release), Avid matrix-recommended versions of both Nvidia driver and Quicktime, Matrox Mini MX02, Self-built machine... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Mon, Apr 10 2017 3:12 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 343
    • Points 4,520

Atomike:

So, that's at least something. Although it's quite a scathing indictment of Avid's software. 

There's no question that Avid has been historically slow at supporting new formats and codecs, and that can be frustrating if you're regularly on the cutting edge of cameras. The GH5 hasn't been out a week, though. I wouldn't condemn the entire software based on this issue.

It pays to know what to expect from the various software options and which ones(s) suits your specific needs. I personally rely on Avid's stability with long form, complex projects, and have FCP X around when I want to play around with new gadgets.

• Mon, Apr 10 2017 6:12 PM In reply to

• John Mac
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 171
    • Points 2,260

I have come across same issue. I used the Sony Catalyst Browse to convert but this in the long run is time consuming. I note the files do not play in Quicktime either.

MC 8 Windows 7 Pro 64-bit i7 Intel Core 4 cores 3.5 GHz 16 Gb ram Nvidia quadro 4000 Matrox mini 6TB internal connected to SATA III ports [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 11 2017 6:06 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,623
    • Points 18,590

John Mac:

I have come across same issue. I used the Sony Catalyst Browse to convert but this in the long run is time consuming. I note the files do not play in Quicktime either.

Avid is probably relying on QT to do the decode in the link. If QT doesn't support the codec yet then it isn't surprising that Avid doesn't work. Does seem unusual that QT doesn't work..

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Mon, Jul 3 2017 1:14 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 4 2013
    • Los Angeles, California
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

Just a note to say that I've tried installing the Panasonic P2 AMA plugin, but sadly it doesn't work. Still a green screen when trying to AMA link the GH5's H.264.

I tried the latest version of the plugin (v4.4) for my version of avid (8.4), however perhaps newer versions of Panasonic's plugin might work? Not sure. 

http://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/content/download/EN/ep2main/ama_e.htm#tabs-2

None of the information mentions the GH5 nor H.264 even.

I'm not 100% sure which version of H.264 the GH5 uses.

I have a feeling it is Panasonic's own implementation, AVC-Intra4K422.

PC tower: 2015 machine with Thunderbolt 2. Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4Ghz. 32gb RAM. 64 bit Win7 Home Premium. Avid 8.9.1 (as of late Aug 2017). GTX 760. Raid0... [view my complete system specs]

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

• Wed, Jul 5 2017 4:08 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,161
    • Points 14,045

Hitting a wall with the same problem at the moment.

Lots of research to find out that there are not many choices.

It seems that at the moment the only software that can deal with GH5 10-bits files the way we want is Davinci Resolve Studio (NOT the free version and NOT the "Studio" version you can buy on the Mac App Store). Whilst it's only $299, the problem is to get hold of a copy - it's dongle software, you have to physically buy it... I'm in Egypt on this job and it's proving impossible to buy Studio here, we have to ship it in from Dubai and it'll take up to 2 weeks!

There are other options, but essentially they make you convert to Prores or other, taking ages and resulting with huge files you can't edit with. So you have to convert a second time into DNxHD 36 or something like this.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 5 2017 4:43 PM In reply to

• David Clarke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 13 2010
    • Brighton, Sussex, UK
    • Posts 234
    • Points 3,190

EDIUS 8.5 edits these files happily as well and can make Avid-friendly files, but rather like Resolve it is a lot to pay for a program to convert files. 

Laptop - Haswell desktop processor, 16GB RAM, 970m NVidia graphic card. Desktop - 2011 pin Haswell-E processor, 16GB RAM, Thunderbolt, Blackmagic UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 5 2017 5:44 PM In reply to

Have you tried Dali's Mustache Multimedia Suite, formerly HD Cinematics Convert?  It has a "rewrap" function, which is quick and results in file sizes about the same as the original.

Dali's Mustache is pay-what-you-want as of this week.  Might as well try it - see if the rewrap gives you something you can link.

http://hdcinematics.com/

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 8.9.4 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 5 2017 5:57 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 4 2013
    • Los Angeles, California
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

Yes! I bought the Studio version of Resolve too, just waiting for the dongle. (Longer term, they are going to remove the dongle requirement when Resolve 14 is released properly, but not sure when that is.)

Seems like the key is supporting the flavor of H.264 called "High 4:2:2 Intra Profile (Hi422P)".

I just bough FOOTAGESTUDIO 4K (pc, but I think has a mac version) - am using that, for now, to transcode from H264 Hi422p (as filmed by GH5) to DNxHR 12-bit 4K UHD.

As for the post above - I tried rewrapping but it doesn't change the actual codec, which is the issue. 

PC tower: 2015 machine with Thunderbolt 2. Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4Ghz. 32gb RAM. 64 bit Win7 Home Premium. Avid 8.9.1 (as of late Aug 2017). GTX 760. Raid0... [view my complete system specs]

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

• Wed, Jul 5 2017 6:10 PM In reply to

Indeed, it doesn't change the codec, but sometimes, the rewrap is all it takes to get it into some kind of wrapper/form that Avid will take.

Never used Footage Studio, but at first glance, it seems to have a good feature set and does NOT seem to be one of those spammy/shady outfits under multiple names, so that's a good start.

I think Dali's Mustache can take care of the DNxHR transcode as well, if that helps - it's not just a rewrapper.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 8.9.4 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 6 (89 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller