Latest post Wed, Apr 5 2017 8:18 AM by Supermandan1. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 1 2017 7:03 PM

User Setting ?

Hi,

Is it true that if you create elaborate workspaces for audio, video, colour correction, 1-screen, 2-screen, etc., these do not carry through well with upgrades to MC ?  I did a whole set-up once, and it all went 'out the window' with the upgrade ?

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 1 2017 7:47 PM In reply to

Re: User Setting ?

In theory User setting can be carried across to MC upgrades and there is even an option to update older user settings to be current.

In reality many odd issues seen in the field are almost always due to old user settings and resolved by making new user settings. So many folks, for reliability, will create fresh user setting when doing an MC upgrade.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Apr 2 2017 8:47 AM In reply to

Thank you for getting back.  I spent ages setting up all kinds of set-ups and work spaces, only to be nullified with an upgrade.  Think I'll keep settings as basic as possible from now on.

D.

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 2 2017 10:36 AM In reply to

To me it comes down to the time spent redoing user settings for every upgrade vs the time spent redoing user settings once if I ran into a post-upgrade problem.

Put a different way, on my home machine I haven't redone my user settings since at least 2013 when I bought a new laptop because in about 20 years of editing on Avid I've never had a problem with user settings. (I've got workspaces for editing, audio, and color correction, plus a handful of keyboard keys remapped.)

I realize I'm living on the edge (haha), but if I do ever run into trouble, I could redo my user settings in maybe 5-10 minutes (I remember them easily because I've jumped from system to system doing freelance jobs), so it's not worth it to me to take 10 minutes to redo them for every upgrade when most of the time everything upgrades fine.

I don't know if that's helpful or not. I hope it is.

Media Composer 8.9.2 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Apr 2 2017 5:03 PM In reply to

camoscato:
    I haven't redone my user settings since....
    Having had a similar history with my User setttings I agree with all of Carl"s points.

• Mon, Apr 3 2017 2:41 PM In reply to

Thank you.  Yes, I think doing this again is worth it.  Just to clarify, and I am not sure technically if phrasing correctly, but how do you "upgrade settings" as Pat Horridhe above suggests ?

• Wed, Apr 5 2017 8:18 AM In reply to

Anyone ?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller