Latest post Fri, Mar 24 2017 8:27 AM by Mondo. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 23 2017 4:15 AM

• Mondo
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,553
    • Points 17,780

Relink problem

I've been relinking a bunch of old shows for rebranding and I've run into a roadblock (well several but most of the time I get around them)

I have a bunch of clips in the original project that were consolidated from linked AMA media - nothing unusual there. However before they were consolidated it looks like ins and outs were marked as I have in many cases several clips that refer to the same master linked clip. Weirdly they are not subclips but master clips. I'm not even sure how it was done - I did not personally edit this particular episode.

master clips

This completely breaks Avid's relinking algorithm. I've tried exporting a master clip as a DNxHD file and batch importing but get this error

Batch import clip 1 of 1 FAILED: MOND1512_01.new.01 with error:

Exception: Cannot quick import a mixed resolution QuickTime movie.

Batch imported 0 of 1 clips

I also tried exporting as an XDCam clip and got a different error about GOP structure and a fatal error on playback.

Does anybody have any idea for a workaround? 

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Thu, Mar 23 2017 4:36 AM In reply to

Re: Relink problem

Do you have the original media? Then re AMA it and try and match the consolidated clips to this.

Or as it looks like XDCAM Import (Legacy method)  If you are lucky there will have been a Disk Label associated with the media and the timecodes should be accurate. Maybe these will relink for you.
    Good Luck 

• Thu, Mar 23 2017 4:45 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,553
    • Points 17,780

I figured out partly what's happened - the timeline and clips I'm looking at are consolidated clips. I'll have to search theold attic to see if there is an unconsolidated version of the timeline (wish me luck - its over 6 years old). The clip timecodes on the consolidated version do not match the timecodes on the original clips - which I don't understand and I guess is what is breaking Avid's relink.

Really once again Avid relink process is a huge fail. Sorry venting  because an hour ago I relinked an older project on FCP - and it was a simple as importing hte XDCam clips and reconnecting the media..

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Thu, Mar 23 2017 5:02 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,553
    • Points 17,780

It really is bizarre - all the original grouped clips relinked but for some reason when Avid consolidated media it did not respect the original timecode embedded in the master clips. Unfortunately I have no attic of this one - it goes back along way but not quite that far!

John

• Thu, Mar 23 2017 6:21 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,553
    • Points 17,780

Mondo:

It really is bizarre - all the original grouped clips relinked but for some reason when Avid consolidated media it did not respect the original timecode embedded in the master clips. Unfortunately I have no attic of this one - it goes back along way but not quite that far!

Well I found the attic files and it isn't good news. The sync timeline was consolidated first BEFORE the master was cut (the sync timeline was roughly cut together) - I know that isn't the correct workflow but it should still work. Avid must have had a bug at the time and the timecodes it attached to the consolidated clips have absolutely no relationship to the original clip. I just did a test consolidate in the 8.6.5 and the timecodes of the consolidated clips all match the linked files.. 

So its a complete botch up. I can't matchback. clip 2 is not offset by the same amount as clip 1 etc so I can't go through and fix the timecodes of the original clips using a spreadsheet. 

John

• Fri, Mar 24 2017 5:42 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 727
    • Points 8,955

6 years ago... consolidated clips with mismatched timecode to original... wow that sounds familiar and I thought it was a Panasonic/P2 issue... but perhaps it was Avid wide...  Have you tried the "set AUX timecode" and then relink cheat I used?  And watch those bins with lots of clips... do all the clips "take" that new AUX TC or will you find a whole bunch that it somehow misses and you have to re-do.

I agree - the relink process is really clunky, non intuative and has no options to force a relink in a "best match" situation.

I'd like a: "I've found x clips that match the duration of the clip you are relinking, which one shall I use" option and others that would allow us to force a clip to link to a missing piece of media.  There are all those fields to match with:
    Duration, TC, AUX, clip name, user clip name, shoot date" and on and on with data stored in the clip's metadata.  Surely we can have some options when re-linking to pick a "best match"?

I feel your pain...  good luck.

MC8.6.5 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Fri, Mar 24 2017 5:46 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 727
    • Points 8,955

Mondo:
    clip 2 is not offset by the same amount as clip 1 etc so I can't go through and fix the timecodes of the original clips using a spreadsheet. 

e x a c t l y  what I found.  No pattern to the mismatch...  A very few clips did match up (like 20 out of 400) the rest were all over the place.

MC8.6.5 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Fri, Mar 24 2017 7:34 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,553
    • Points 17,780

Carl - it gets stranger and I have identified a major bug (I think).

I have opened the original untouched project on a new machine. All the timecodes on the consolidated clips are actually correct!

As soon as I link to the AMA clips for that source they all go out of whack. So it is not until I relink that the actual consolidated versions of the clip go wonky. No - I can't get them to relink via aux timecode because the consolidated clips do not start at the same time as the original clips. 

I have worked out a way to get around it by re-consolidating the orginal synced timeline (note - it relinks fine) then changing the start timecode on all the offline consolidated clips to match the new ones and then a straight re-link does it. Its tedious and everthing would just work if Avid wasn't doing this weird thing. 

My supposition is that the consolidated clips link to the new AMA file but offset the timecode to what Avid thinks is correct - which clearly isn't and as a result they stay offline. I'm also supposing it has absolutely nothing to do with how old the project is but rather the strange workflow used on the original project - remember all the original group clips work fine and so would the consolidated groups if Avid wasn't mangling the timecode. 

John

• Fri, Mar 24 2017 8:23 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,553
    • Points 17,780

And I just went throught the workflow again - it isn't actually until I try to relink the original timeline to the newly linked material that the timecodes go wonky. So his is before (timecodes correct):Before linking to original source

And this is after Avid attempts to relink the timeline to the original source media - same clips highlighted in the same bin - but note the new source path information and of course the new start times!

After the relink

But you can see the original grouped and synced timeline used to consolidate these clips is unaffected. Before the re-link everything is offline as expected.

Before relink

Then after relink ..

After the relink

That is a bug!

J

John

• Fri, Mar 24 2017 8:27 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,553
    • Points 17,780

carlgmi:

the relink process is really clunky, non intuative and has no options to force a relink in a "best match" situation.

I'd like a: "I've found x clips that match the duration of the clip you are relinking, which one shall I use" option and others that would allow us to force a clip to link to a missing piece of media.  There are all those fields to match with:
    Duration, TC, AUX, clip name, user clip name, shoot date" and on and on with data stored in the clip's metadata.  Surely we can have some options when re-linking to pick a "best match"?

So funny - this is what I wrote in an email to Avid the other day:

The problem for me is Avid's implementation is not simple. It's clumsy. It's obtuse. It's linked to a database that actually slows the interface down if it gets overloaded and and actually seems to get confused if you have multiple clips stored in that database with similar timecodes, even if they reside in different projects. We have no way of managing it and no information on how to manage it. It seems pointless bringing up competitor products but no other NLE makes it this difficult to link or re-link to a set of files and at the moment there seems to be little to no advantage to Avid's method. It isn't robust - I can attest to that as I'm currently in the process of bringing back 40 - 50 projects that have been done over the last 4 or 5 years and I consistently run into issues. 

John

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller