Latest post Fri, Jul 28 2017 6:47 PM by mcftvm. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 17 2017 5:23 PM

• mcftvm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 8 2014
    • Posts 7
    • Points 65

Floating License Server

It's a quick question- but one that some people cannot agree on so I thought I would bring this to the forum.

If I purchase the 20 or 50pack floating license server... am I purchasing a perpetual license? Meaning after the 1st year (support contract as part of the purchase) does the software stop working if I do NOT renew the support contract or does it just make me ineligible for software updates?

Thanks. 

• Fri, Mar 17 2017 5:44 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,270
    • Points 13,750
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Floating License Server

mcftvm:

It's a quick question- but one that some people cannot agree on so I thought I would bring this to the forum.

If I purchase the 20 or 50pack floating license server... am I purchasing a perpetual license? Meaning after the 1st year (support contract as part of the purchase) does the software stop working if I do NOT renew the support contract or does it just make me ineligible for software updates?

Thanks. 

Hi mcftvm,

FLS license is perpetual license. If you let the support contract expired you can't get a new update/release. However, you can still use the software until the last version before it expired. I hope this helps.

Regards,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 17 2017 5:50 PM In reply to

• mcftvm
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 65

Ralph,

Many thanks- the reason I asked is multiple resellers believe it is a yearly subscription and telling the customer this incorrect information. 

• Wed, Mar 29 2017 6:27 PM In reply to

• mcftvm
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 65

But if I purchase the 20 or 50-pack of FLS... what am I getting in the price? The FLS installed on my acting server system? What are resellers NOT telling me?

For example- a 50 pack with the FLS is $5k (approximately). I cannot help but feel that, in the resellers confusion, there is a major component missing here. Am I right? And, if so, what is it?

Even Avid's own documentation is unclear- it reads as thought I buy the 50 pack, with FLS, and the world is all good to go?
    https://www.avid.com/static/resources/common/documents/datasheets/Media_Composer/Floating_License_cs_A4.pdf

• Wed, Mar 29 2017 11:04 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,666
    • Points 113,020
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

You get a system / activation ID set that will allow 20 or 50 seats to launch and run at the same time depending on which pack you buy.

Let me check pricing in the am....  Can you email me direct mcftvm

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Jul 27 2017 5:00 PM In reply to

• mcftvm
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 65

A quick, additional, query- the system requirements, to run the FLS on, list Windows-based computer running XP SP3 or later, Server 2003 SP1 or later... does this mean the FLS will ONLY run using XP and Server 2003 (and their corresponding service packs) or will the FLS run on a WIN7 or WIN10 system?

p.s. - Marianna I sent an eMail too.

• Thu, Jul 27 2017 11:29 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,313
    • Points 96,100

Not an Avid employee, but I believe you should read that as "Win-XP or later", i.e., XP, Vista, W7, W8, W10.  Given that XP is no longer supported by MS to lock users into an obsolete OS would be counter productive.

XP must be at least at SP3.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 27 2017 11:31 PM In reply to

• mcftvm
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 65

That's my thought too- but it's better to be safe than sorry... and bring the ire of my I.T. department :-)

• Fri, Jul 28 2017 1:00 AM In reply to

• mcftvm
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 65

Thanks to an ACR they confirmed that Server 2008, WIN 7 (32/64bit) and Server 2003 R2 can run for the licence server.

Now an odd question- is it a specific version of MC that is installed, to operate with the FLS or can I give my I.T. department the standalone installer so they can deploy across 50 systems- activating via the FLS when they is delivered in 4 weeks? 

• Fri, Jul 28 2017 6:47 PM In reply to

• mcftvm
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 65

Just in case anyone else had the above queries too. Thanks to the ACR the regular download of MC can be installed/deployed for use with the FLS.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller