Latest post Sat, Mar 18 2017 3:26 AM by carlgmi. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 17 2017 2:00 PM

• JPBU
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 11 2014
    • Canada
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,205

Thunderbolt PCI card ?

I'm switching from Apple back to Windows based PC.

I have a lot of Thunderbolt-2 drives that I would still love to use.

I would like to know what card (PCI) people are using on Windows and if the have any issue with it.

Thank you.

Media Composer 8.02. | iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 Memory | 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB | G-Raid 8TB + Drobo 5D Backup | OS X 10... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 17 2017 3:14 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,236
    • Points 41,875
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Thunderbolt PCI card ?

Make sure that your motherboard supports Thunderbolt 2 (or better yet, TB3) and then get the generally proprietary TB card that fits it. So if you have an Asrock MOBO, get the Asrock TB card, etc. (and if you get TB3, get the adapters to connect TB2 devices as well).

There are a few MOBOs out there with TB ports on them, but most of the ones that support TB use an add-in-card.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Mar 17 2017 3:32 PM In reply to

• David Clarke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 13 2010
    • Brighton, Sussex, UK
    • Posts 234
    • Points 3,190

I have had problems with some Thunderbolt drives on Windows because the manufacturers do not make drivers for Windows, only PC. 

As DStone says you have to make sure both the motherboard and card are meant to work together.  You can't just get a Thunderbolt card and put it in any PC.  I have been using a Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI board which takes Broadwell 2011 pin chips that has  Thunberbolt 3 socket built-in.  You can use Thunderbolt 2 devices on this using a TB3 to TB2 adaptor.  The cheapest adaptor I have seen so far has been at the Apple store.

Laptop - Haswell desktop processor, 16GB RAM, 970m NVidia graphic card. Desktop - 2011 pin Haswell-E processor, 16GB RAM, Thunderbolt, Blackmagic UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 17 2017 3:48 PM In reply to

• JPBU
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 11 2014
    • Canada
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,205

Thank you very much for your help. I was going with a Supermicro MOBO so I'll get their Thunderbolt 2 card (no TB3 from them yet). Pretty expensive for a single port...

So, what is the most common interface for external RAID on Windows editing station these days ? e-sata, usb-c, rj-45 ?

Thanks,

Media Composer 8.02. | iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 Memory | 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB | G-Raid 8TB + Drobo 5D Backup | OS X 10... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 17 2017 7:50 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,236
    • Points 41,875
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

JPBU:
    So, what is the most common interface for external RAID on Windows editing station these days ? e-sata, usb-c, rj-45 ?
    That depends on what you already own, and what you're trying to do. If you're looking for blazing fast then you'd want PCI-E based SSDs. For expansion you'd use a PCI-E expansion box directly conneced to the MOBO. Not the cheapest solution, but easily the fastest. I'd run them as RAID 0 with a separate very large drive for backup and run nightly backups. For that I'd use USB 3.1 or TB3 connected drives. Otherwise I'd use a TB3 based PCI-E expansion box.

For not quite as fast there are some very good USB 3.1 and TB3 RAID boxes. I'd look at the reviews, as well as whatever else people here are using.

The big question is what are you editing? If it's predominantly HD then you can certainly use a TB2 (edit: I originally mistyped this as TB3) or USB 3.0 based RAID box. If you're editing 4K (and not using proxies), then you'll need something faster, especially if dealing with multiple streams.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sat, Mar 18 2017 3:26 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 740
    • Points 9,140

JPBU:
    I was going with a Supermicro MOBO

Make sure it is one of their boards that support it - not all SM boards do.  Drivers are problematic, last time I looked, no drivers for Win 10 hence I am still on Win7.  Also the documentation from SM with their card (wow it was expensive for such a small card) is scant - only by reading the .pdf wfrom their website will you find a link to an intel site to download the drivers for it.  Windows natively wanted nothing to do with it - I had to install the drivers to make it work.  Then had to install the Promise drivers to make the RAID enclosure visible once I had the TB2 port working.

A few hoops to jump through to make it work - but fine now.  SM didn't have a TB3 option I could see for the Xeon Mobo I had chosen when I was building.

MC8.6.5 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller