Latest post Tue, Mar 28 2017 12:02 PM by dbiok. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 15 2017 5:31 PM

• Erik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 5 2006
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 167
    • Points 2,020

MC 8.8 Source Browser unbearably slow

I've had this problem for several versions now of MC 8.x and each time an update is released I'm optimistic that it will be fixed only to end up with the same problem.

If I start MC, load a project and attempt to open the source browser to AMA link to footage it takes a good couple of minutes...probably 5+ minutes just for the source browser window to appear.

Then anything you click on in the source browser causes it to stall for another 5+ minutes. Clicking on any other part of the MC applicatipon causes it to also hang. Even attempting to close the source browser window will cause it to hang for several minutes. On certain occassions it will crash the entire MC application.

I can alt-click drag files from an explorer window just fine, it does it quickly...but the source browser is completely useless.

I've seen other posts on this problem, but no solution that has worked so far. I've seen some suggestions that this might be caused by networked drives (none are present on this system) and even occurs if I have the network disconnected and disabled.

It's hard to get any work done efficiently. And a time or two while on a short deadline have mistakenly hit the source browser option intending to hit the import option which stalls the application or crashes it completely.

The windows task manager process tab shows 7 incidences of QTWebEngineProcess.exe and two incidences of QuickTime_OPServer.exe open whenever the source browser is opened. Which doesn't seem normal to me.

System is a Dell Precision 7710 mobile workstation, 64GB of memory, Xeon E3-1535M v5 @2.9Ghz, Nvidia Quadro M5000m. Running Win7 64bit.

MC 8.9.1 Dell Precision 7710 mobile workstation, 64GB of memory, Xeon E3-1535M v5 @2.9Ghz, Nvidia Quadro M5000m. Running Win10 64bit. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 15 2017 5:38 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,718
    • Points 113,695
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: MC 8.8 Source Browser unbearably slow

Erik

Can you email me this and send along your system ID.  I will get on hthis to see what is happening.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Mar 15 2017 6:22 PM In reply to

• Aurora TV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 30 2007
    • Huntington, NY
    • Posts 21
    • Points 270

I hate the source browser, not only because it is deathly buggy, but mostly because the previous AMA link process worked so well and I don't think it needed any fixing. Also, the inclusion of the word "browser" makes me think that Avid is trying to lure in Premiere users who are used to a Media "Browser" in Adobe. Knock that off, Avid, if that's true... reward loyalty by staying with what works for those who have known it works for all these years. No more renaming or redesigning things to look and feel like the competition.

Avid MC 8.8 / HP Z800 Workstation / Windows 7 Professional 64 / AJA Kona LHi [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 16 2017 4:32 PM In reply to

• mcabery
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 74
    • Points 940

I like the ability to search for footage by using thumbnail images and such, but I will agree that it can be painfully slow a lot of the time.

i7 Broadwell 6800K on an Asus X99A-II, 6 2TB Seagate drives in RAID 5, Windows 10, MXO2 Mini Max and the latest version of Avid [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 17 2017 1:05 AM In reply to

• Erik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 5 2006
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 167
    • Points 2,020

Thanks Marianna. I've sent you an email that includes this information and some updates on the behavior and some screenshots the source browser when it gets like this.

Occasionally when the MC application crashes, it leaves an instance of Media Composer running as a process. And if I kill it, MC seems to behave again and the Source Browser works as expected. But this isn't an ideal solution and the default state seems to be to misbehave. I'd rather find the root cause so this doesn't happen.

MC 8.9.1 Dell Precision 7710 mobile workstation, 64GB of memory, Xeon E3-1535M v5 @2.9Ghz, Nvidia Quadro M5000m. Running Win10 64bit. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 17 2017 3:23 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,300
    • Points 14,045
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Hi Erik,

I opened up support case 03169601. Support folks will investigate this now.

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 17 2017 3:34 PM In reply to

• ramz434
    • Not Ranked
    • Long Island
    • Posts 157
    • Points 1,980

My biggest hangups with the Source Browser is how long it takes to 'Process Media'. All my drives are local - but some camera folders have a hundred+ clips and the browser becomes useless until it has 'processed' each and every single one of those clips. Giant PITA when there are multiple folders with lots of clips. Then I just sit there and cross my fingers and hope the system stays up.

I've already complained enough how you cant resave a clip thats been AMAd thru the Source Browser if the Avid is running: i.e. - if I want to re-output an AE of Photoshop file, AE or Photoshop wont save the file with the same name bc its being used by Avid. Even if the Source Browser is closed.   

- HP Z400/24gb ram/Windows 10/MC8.9.4/256gb Samsung SSD/ NVidia GTX 1080/HP ZR22 Monitors/ - Macbook Pro/16gb ram/OS 10.13/MC8.9.4/NVIDIA GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 17 2017 6:01 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,475
    • Moderator: MCA PC

ramz434:

I've already complained enough how you cant resave a clip thats been AMAd thru the Source Browser if the Avid is running: i.e. - if I want to re-output an AE of Photoshop file, AE or Photoshop wont save the file with the same name bc its being used by Avid. Even if the Source Browser is closed.   

I have not had that problem at all if I link by holding Alt and dragging clips from a folder window into a bin.  That's the only way I link anymore because of the way the source browser works (or doesn't work as the case may be).  Have you tried that at all?

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Fri, Mar 17 2017 8:39 PM In reply to

ramz434:
    i.e. - if I want to re-output an AE of Photoshop file, AE or Photoshop wont save the file with the same name bc its being used by Avid.
    MAYBE for graphics going back to the original Import process would fit your workflow better.  

The imported graphic media takes up a fraction more diskspace than the than the file size original AE / Photoshop single frame.
    Any Imported graphic can be batch Re Imported with the ability to redirect where MC looks for the graphic.
    Any useage of the graphic in the timeline is updated with the Batch Re Imported media. 
    As the graphic is Imported there is no issue with AE OR Photoshop being able to Save As a new graphic with the same name as the old one.  

FWIW I used this workflow weekly (for a timeline with nearly 200 graphics to update) for a couple of years.  10 to 15 minutes for the Avid updating. Remaking the graphics a MUCH longer story. Wink

• Sat, Mar 18 2017 1:49 AM In reply to

• ramz434
    • Not Ranked
    • Long Island
    • Posts 157
    • Points 1,980

I have gone back to the import and batch reimport way of bringing in my graphic lmnts. I just like the concept of being able to make a quick adjustment in AE or PS (normally typos) and having it all just automatically update. 

I have not tried the ALT and drag files from an explorer window into a bin. TBH, I didnt even know that was doable. But now that I know, thats going to be my only way of AMAing in the future. 

- HP Z400/24gb ram/Windows 10/MC8.9.4/256gb Samsung SSD/ NVidia GTX 1080/HP ZR22 Monitors/ - Macbook Pro/16gb ram/OS 10.13/MC8.9.4/NVIDIA GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 18 2017 4:13 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 740
    • Points 9,140

ramz434:
    My biggest hangups with the Source Browser is how long it takes to 'Process Media'.

OMG yes, can't it populate with just default icons showing what is in a folder then slowly process each one or process/jump to the one you hover over?  This way you get some instant idea what is in a folder from the clip names and can decide if it is worth waiting for it to process?  Many times all I want to do is "select all + link" I dont need to to sit there and process... waiting... waiting... omg 400 clips and waiting... . . .. . still waiting...!

MC8.6.5 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Tue, Mar 21 2017 8:54 PM In reply to

• mcabery
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 74
    • Points 940

smyers63:
    I have not had that problem at all if I link by holding Alt and dragging clips from a folder window into a bin.

That's fantastic, I didn't know about that either but it sure works and speeds things up not having to wait!

i7 Broadwell 6800K on an Asus X99A-II, 6 2TB Seagate drives in RAID 5, Windows 10, MXO2 Mini Max and the latest version of Avid [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 21 2017 9:57 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,475

mcabery:

smyers63:
    I have not had that problem at all if I link by holding Alt and dragging clips from a folder window into a bin.

That's fantastic, I didn't know about that either but it sure works and speeds things up not having to wait!

Yes

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Tue, Mar 28 2017 8:20 AM In reply to

• dbiok
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 19 2010
    • Germany
    • Posts 33
    • Points 400

Hi @all,

ALT-dragging is a good workaround, but you won't get it running if you're using "special" codecs like the XAVC-I100 from the FS7 for example. ALT-dragging is using the MSP_MXF Plugin and not the nablet XAVC. If you then try to consolidate, the system crashes. Tried on an 8.8 Symphony and I can reproduce it. Today I will test it on a 8.8 MC to see if it is symphony related.

With the nablet codec manually choosen inside the source browser, everything is fine. Consolidating XAVC-I is no problem. I always have to choose the plugin manually, when there is XAVC invovled.

Everyone experience this behavior?

EDIT: Tested again. Today everything is working fine.... I don't know why. Symphony and MC (both 8.8)

so long & thx

dbiok

[3x MediaComposer 8.9.3 @ NitrisDX || HP Z800 Workstation (Dual XEON X5570) || Win10 64Bit] - [1x Symphony 8.9.3 @ NitrisDX || HP Z800 Workstation (Dual... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 28 2017 10:29 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,475

dbiok:

Hi @all,

ALT-dragging is a good workaround, but you won't get it running if you're using "special" codecs like the XAVC-I100 from the FS7 for example. ALT-dragging is using the MSP_MXF Plugin and not the nablet XAVC. If you then try to consolidate, the system crashes. Tried on an 8.8 Symphony and I can reproduce it. Today I will test it on a 8.8 MC to see if it is symphony related.

With the nablet codec manually choosen inside the source browser, everything is fine. Consolidating XAVC-I is no problem. I always have to choose the plugin manually, when there is XAVC invovled.

Everyone experience this behavior?

so long & thx

dbiok

I've never used XAVC media, so I can't dispute what you're saying.  If that's the case, Avid should either incorporate automatic selection of plugin during the alt-drag linking if that's not already in place and/or an option for manual selection.  We shouldn't be forced to use the browser as long as alt-drag is still a feature.  I hope that comment doesn't lead Avid to the horrible decision to kill the alt-drag feature.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller