Latest post Mon, Mar 20 2017 5:42 PM by Marianna. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 8 2017 5:27 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,050

Re: re-linking problem

** SOLVED** well sort of

The original SD clips where I am unable to modify start times forced me (probably a good idea anyway) to set an AUX TC1 value of 00:00:00:00.  I put all referenced SD clips in 1 bin and block modified the AUX TC to that.

Then in a new bin I AMA linked all 1500+ original HD clips and consolidated them to a media drive (didn't work with just AMA linked).

I then modified the AUX TC to the same 00:00:00:00 on them

With only that bin open and all the clips selected I then selected the sequences and then relink>open bins>Use Aux TC1 and that seems to have done it.

So in conclusion, something screwy happened in 2011 when I AMA linked the first time.  The resulting files had the wrong TC start times.

MC8.6.5 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 5:38 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,344
    • Points 159,245

carlgmi:

** SOLVED** well sort of

The original SD clips where I am unable to modify start times forced me (probably a good idea anyway) to set an AUX TC1 value of 00:00:00:00.  I put all referenced SD clips in 1 bin and block modified the AUX TC to that.

Then in a new bin I AMA linked all 1500+ original HD clips and consolidated them to a media drive (didn't work with just AMA linked).

I then modified the AUX TC to the same 00:00:00:00 on them

With only that bin open and all the clips selected I then selected the sequences and then relink>open bins>Use Aux TC1 and that seems to have done it.

So in conclusion, something screwy happened in 2011 when I AMA linked the first time.  The resulting files had the wrong TC start times.

A very nice solution and fix Carl , thxs for telling, I had just began thinking about using another TC when you posted this one

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 6:51 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,620
    • Points 18,535

Nice - good solution Carl

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Mar 15 2017 4:55 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,050

As a footnote to this exercise as I have noticed a possible bug.

Select all clips in bin (there are 300+ in this example)
    Right click and modify - choose AUX1 timecode and set at 00.00.00.00
    Press OK

Now at this point I "assume" it has appled this to all the clips so I select the sequence as described earlier and relink.  Problem is not all the clips relink??  What???  Further inspection and not all the clips got their AUX1 timecode reset despite all being selected.  If you restart Avid and repeat, it works.

So what is happening that not all clips are getting the AUX1 TC set this way and why does re-starting Avid fix it?  I have seen this now 3 times on this project and it got me wondering - is there a limit to how many clips can be modified in 1 go?  Is it cache or memory related - it seems to occur after using Avid for an hour or 2 not when you first start up?  Is it "time" related - Avid needs time in the background to apply the modification?  If so, we need a progress bar.  Yet it allows you to relink so I am assuming the modify task is finished otherwise it wouldn't let you do anything?

After the second time this happened I moved the cache to a non system drive and increased the amount of cache substantially.  Doesn't seem to have fixed it...

My process also threw up another idea/feature request - I had rebuilt the original SD project into HD media and then created the new 2017 project, imported bins, consolidated/relinked and then had my shiny 2017 HD project.  Wouldn't it be great if Avid allowed you to "Save Project As..." and then give you options to reference original media or rebuild/consolidate everything it needed to create a new project with all the media associations done for you without this repetative import/consolidate/relink process?  surely this is something that can be automated through some sort of "Avid Project Manager" interface?? 

MC8.6.5 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Wed, Mar 15 2017 5:59 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,620
    • Points 18,535

carlgmi:
    Wouldn't it be great if Avid allowed you to "Save Project As..." and then give you options to reference original media or rebuild/consolidate everything it needed to create a new project with all the media associations done for you without this repetative import/consolidate/relink process?  surely this is something that can be automated through some sort of "Avid Project Manager" interface?? 

I actually had an even slicker suggestion which I presented to Avid a while ago. Maybe one day ...

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Mar 15 2017 1:56 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,417
    • Points 109,940
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Mondo:

carlgmi:
    Wouldn't it be great if Avid allowed you to "Save Project As..." and then give you options to reference original media or rebuild/consolidate everything it needed to create a new project with all the media associations done for you without this repetative import/consolidate/relink process?  surely this is something that can be automated through some sort of "Avid Project Manager" interface?? 

I actually had an even slicker suggestion which I presented to Avid a while ago. Maybe one day ...

Mondo....

can you please send it to me directly.  I want to send both to product design

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Mar 20 2017 1:03 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,620
    • Points 18,535

Marianna:

Mondo:

carlgmi:

Mondo....

can you please send it to me directly.  I want to send both to product design

marianna

You already have it Marianna.. it was sent to you originally and you already sent it on to product dev team (thanks!). They thought it was just a multicam idea because the rest of my suggestions mostly were.. but that wasn't my intention :) I'll forward it to you again as a separate thing if you like?

John

• Mon, Mar 20 2017 5:42 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,417
    • Points 109,940
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Mondo - yes please do send again as its own.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller