Latest post Mon, Mar 20 2017 5:42 PM by Marianna. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 7 2017 12:23 AM

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,050

re-linking problem SOLVED mostly...

Original project was P2HD clips AMA linked to project and then transcoded to SD.  How do I now relink these old sequences to the original HD clips?

I've tried deleting the media with the master clips and re-link - it doesn't find the new clip.  Tried relinking the sequence to the HD material after AMA/consolidate of it into a new bin.

I must be missing something.  any suggestions?

MC8.6.5 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Tue, Mar 7 2017 1:22 AM In reply to

Re: re-linking problem

Keep all the SD clips in separate bins from the HD ones.  SELECT all the HD clips.  Make sure the SD ones are deselected - better yet, close the SD bins.

Right-click the sequence... RELINK... use the option "Selected items in ALL open bins." set any other parameters if needed - take a look at the format/resolution options at the bottom.

Your sequence should relink to the HD clips.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.5, Avid Media Composer 8.9.0 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 7 2017 2:33 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,050

Thansk for the sugestion but... Nada :(

Work flow:
    1: Restored old SD project
    2: Created a new bin and AMA linked the original P2HD clips. so I have master clips in SD in original bins and the same AMA linked clips in a HD bin.
    3: Consolidated these clips in HD to the existing project
    4: Selected the clips in the HD bin and closed all others
    5: Selected the sequence
    6: Right click "relink" selecting "open bins" (the HD versions)

Nada

Tried deleting the media from the original SD master clips so the clips went offline and repeated the above, also nada.

What am I missing?  Seems like something that should be very straight forward but I must be having a bad week as I have tried so many combos of those relink menu settings and nothing seems to work :(

MC8.6.5 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

• Tue, Mar 7 2017 2:55 AM In reply to

A couple of ideas

Can you relink the SD timeline to the original AMA Clips.
    Then open that timeline in the HD project.
    Transcode this SD AMA timeline to HD media of choice.

Or with the AMA timeline put it in a new bin.
    Set bin display to Show Media Relatives.
    Open HD clips bin.
    Select clips from Media Relatives and ask to Relink from opem bin.

• Tue, Mar 7 2017 3:06 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,050

Nope to the first, that was one of my first tries :(  Will try the second...

A thought occurs to me that I am just waiting to test.  There was an AMA plugin from Panasonic a while back that altered all the timecodes - it is possible that the timecodes of the new AMA HD clips don't match the old SD clips.  Could be that is the issue.  If that is the case I have to alter the timecodes of each offline clip to match the new AMA clip... and it would be quicker to re-edit I suspect.

Will post back.

Vote 1 - Dongles.

• Tue, Mar 7 2017 3:52 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,617
    • Points 18,500

Was the original job link and transcode or import? If you imported the media oriignally, assigning an individual tape name to each clip that matches the incoming clip might work. Other thigns to watch out for are different naming conventions - sometimes you'll have to tell avid to ignore characters after the "." (period)

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Tue, Mar 7 2017 4:02 AM In reply to

carlgmi:
    and it would be quicker to re-edit I suspect.
    Do you have the  original SD timeline complete? If so replacing the SD shots with your HD transcode/ consolidate should be fairly painless. I work out a process involving marking each clip in the timeline, go to Mark in, match frame.  Change the Mark In to a Mark Out in the source. Go to the head of the Source and Mark in. Find Bin. Have the SD Sources bin in text mode. Have In to Out as the second Column. Open the same Sources tape in HD. Navigate to the same HD clip. Make sure the timeline Position Indicator is at the start of the clip. Type in + then the SD In to Out duration (-1 ) from the SD sources bin. Mark In in the HD clip. Check shot is identical to Record Monitor. Edit HD clip in.

Using the distance from the start of the clip for your Mark in should make not having the same timecode irrelevant.

FWIW if there are a lot of shots I would make a new Keyboard mapping for this process by mapping F2 upwards to the subsequent keystrokes required for this process to speed up the tedium.

• Tue, Mar 7 2017 6:39 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,050

Mondo:
    Was the original job link and transcode or import?

AMA link then Transcode...  I've tried ignoring extensions but no bananas...

Vote 1 - Dongles.

• Tue, Mar 7 2017 6:48 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,050

AndrewAction:

Using the distance from the start of the clip for your Mark in should make not having the same timecode irrelevant.

Great idea.  I've done similar bofore but not as elegant as this.  Edit PC is tied up with a client so I cant check my theory that the timecode has shifted.  My concern is that the timecode shift (if it is from the time/project experience I recall from before) is not consistent.  The old AMA plugin from Panasonic seemed to count 30fps for 25fps framerate.  The start time of each clip moved as a result by an ever changing amount so simply modifying "start time" by an amount was not an option.  Another thought is to reset the start times of the old clips and the new ones to 00:00:00:00 and see what happens.  I have nothing to loose!!  Can always restore it again and be back where I started!

What would be nice is a "smart match" function for these situations.  If the clip name and duration (or other criteria) match then re-link.  And if it makes a mistake, well you then manually go through an fix what ever is left.  In our case the original file name and user name are identical as are the durations so a matchback would work perfectly.

Vote 1 - Dongles.

• Tue, Mar 7 2017 11:40 PM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,050

My thoery about the timecode is almost correct, they are different.  re-setting the original TC and then relinking now works.  Here is the new mystery.  The original 2011 P2HD clips all have start times that look correct - however, using Media Browser when I look at the clips they all have a start time of 00:00:00:00 - so it is the AMA linking in 8.6.5 with P2 media that seems to be the problem, not the old AMA P2 plugin... so any thoughts on that?

CB

Vote 1 - Dongles.

• Tue, Mar 7 2017 11:46 PM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,617
    • Points 18,500

carlgmi:
    My thoery about the timecode is almost correct, they are different.  re-setting the original TC and then relinking now works.  Here is the new mystery.  The original 2011 P2HD clips all have start times that look correct - however, using Media Browser when I look at the clips they all have a start time of 00:00:00:00 - so it is the AMA linking in 8.6.5 with P2 media that seems to be the problem, not the old AMA P2 plugin... so any thoughts on that?

Bit confused - do you mean the timecode shows up correctly in the start column but is different in media browser? And by media browser do you mean the media tool or something third party?

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 1:50 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,050

Using MC8.6.5 and P2HD AMA 4.7 version

So when I use:

Input>Media Browser (the one in Avid that is new)

there are several ways of seeing and linking the clips. Using the folder icon at the top of the browser is my preferred method, takes longer but I get to see thumbnails.

I select the root folder of the P2HD media that contains the "CONTENTS" folder and MC goes away and populates the folder view.  I have "link" selected below not "import"

Once the folder populates with the clips I scroll across to the "Start" column - and nearly every clip shows 00:00:00:00 as its start time, Not the correct start time.  At this point I already see the error and I haven't even pressed "link" to send the selected to the bin where it also displays 00:00:00:00 as the start time.  Consolidating also then retains this incorrect start time :(

I've also tried the non folder contents view in Media browser and this also fails to read the correct start time.

I can change each original clips start time to 00:00:00:00 then relink the sequence to the HD bin material with the missing start times and it works fine.  So the question is, why is media browser not reading the P2HD media start times?  Is it a bug with the AMA plugin or is it a bug with the Media Browser itself?  The original project (on MC 5x I think) with the P2 AMA plugin worked fine, now it doesn't?

... so a bit more testing and it seems to be folder specific.  This one folder has issues.  The shoot the very next day... seems to read Start TC fine - but I am yet to verify this with the original SD clips.  Nothing about our archive/logging frocess changed from one day to the next so I am stumpped right now.

Vote 1 - Dongles.

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 2:06 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,050

More wierdness

If I quit MC and restart, go to the Avid MC media browser and rescan that folder more start TCs show up - but still not all??

So I've moved the Media Browser cache off the SSD system drive to a bigger D drive folder and flushed it, now rescanning again...

the strange thing still is, go to a different folder/shoot and it reads OK?  what is it about this one shoot and why no consistency in Media Browers reading or not reading start times??

:/

Vote 1 - Dongles.

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 2:29 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,617
    • Points 18,500

carlgmi:

More wierdness

If I quit MC and restart, go to the Avid MC media browser and rescan that folder more start TCs show up - but still not all??

So I've moved the Media Browser cache off the SSD system drive to a bigger D drive folder and flushed it, now rescanning again...

the strange thing still is, go to a different folder/shoot and it reads OK?  what is it about this one shoot and why no consistency in Media Browers reading or not reading start times??

:/

It may be you need to clear the AMA database....

John

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 3:59 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,050

Is that done in windows explorer or does Avid have a setting for it somewhere?  <<DONE, found it>>

But the problem now seems to be the AMA P2 plugin from 2011...  The original master clips in the project (SD) report, for example, a start time of 01:36:46:24, the same re-AMA linked HD clip reports 00:50:12:16.  a look in P2 Viewer at the source files confirms that the later is correct, that is the start time.  so back in 2011 when I AMA linked these files in, the start time assigned was incorrect :/  Was it the AMA plugin or Avid, who knows but I suspect the plugin.

So the solution is not pretty.  The project is over 70 minutes long and consists of 1500+ source files of which 200~300 or so are used.  I can set the start time on each original SD clip to 00:00:00:00 x 300 clips but I would still need to then injest and reset the start times on 1500 HD clips to be able to work out which ones were used :/ :/  and I don't think I can do this by block unless someone has any ideas?  ** of courese by "modify" I can block it... except the ones that are wrong, it wont let me change it!!!

The client can live with there original SD project, too bad, or pay us to upgrade it.. but it would have been nice to simply relink and voila, HD... 

Vote 1 - Dongles.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller