Latest post Tue, Apr 18 2017 10:48 PM by Andrew McColm. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 6 2017 5:31 PM

• Jason Sedmak
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 16 2010
    • Denver
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,005

Wacom still not fully fixed in 8.7

Feeling frustrated after discovering the update in 8.7 that was supposed to fix the 'broken' tablet I/O in 8.6.5, now may result in me going back again to 8.6.4.  It works, better, yes, but on my system it's infuriating because it self clicks when I'm only hovering.  And yes, I've checked and reloaded all drivers/updates.

As proof, it works fine in everything else.

Come on, guys.... please....

2010 Mac Pro 2.66 GHz 12-core 64GB GTX 980Ti Solid State Boot 8x Fibre to Terrablock Currently running 10.11.6 El Capitan Symphony 8.9.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 6 2017 5:33 PM In reply to

• Jason Sedmak
    • Not Ranked
    • Denver
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,005

Re: Wacom still not fully fixed in 8.7

To be fair, using a Wacom in Premiere is infuriating... as everyone knows.... and has been for years, so at least there's that.

:(

2010 Mac Pro 2.66 GHz 12-core 64GB GTX 980Ti Solid State Boot 8x Fibre to Terrablock Currently running 10.11.6 El Capitan Symphony 8.9.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 7 2017 3:25 AM In reply to

• funckdren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,835

I've noticed this on 8.7 too. I also use a Wacom tablet, but I see it with just a mouse too. Happens to me about 4-5 times a day.

Mac Pro Westmere 12-Core 3.46GHz, Media Composer 8.7.2, Mac OS 10.11.5, 64GB RAM, Mojo DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 8 2017 11:19 AM In reply to

I am a long time Wacom user and have several tables but use the newest Intous Pro with my particular Avid. And I too am still frustrated that what was supposed to be a fix only made things more intermittent and buggy. I find that right after I drag an object somewhere...from bin to window etc...the next time the stylus tip will not drag at all. I have mapped the eraser as a "click" which mirrors the way the stylus tip is automatically mapped and if the stylus does not perform the drag function the eraser usually will. Sounds whiny but rotating the pen around to the eraser is a pain. I have communicated with Wacom and they place all the blame on Avid of course. Is no one in engineering using a Wacom tablet? This forum is the only place I have found where people are talking about the issue and too few of us are talking about it at that so maybe it's a "who hollers loudest" thing. Sure is frustrasting!

Cheers,

Donny

Three MC Symphony systems, Autodesk Smoke, Graphics systems and The Cave...our play loud, mix loud and smell like beer room of audio awesomeness! [view my complete system specs]

don wilson
    V3DFilms.com
    americanamediainc.com

email
    : don@V3Dfilms.com
    Studio: 818.358-4151
    Mobile: 818-267-7181
    IMDB

• Sun, Jan 8 2017 1:27 PM In reply to

• funckdren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,835

It *is* frustrating and slows me down too. It's been hard for me to assess because I upgraded from Mavericks to El Capitan around the same time I started having Wacom troubles, so the culprit is a bit of a moving target.

In other forums, some have reported that clicking & dragging with just a mouse often doesn't work the first time and requires a second click & drag. So that would indicate that it's not just a Wacom issue. We've been told that engineering is looking into it.

Donny - it would be helpful to know what OS you are using?

Mac Pro Westmere 12-Core 3.46GHz, Media Composer 8.7.2, Mac OS 10.11.5, 64GB RAM, Mojo DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 8 2017 2:10 PM In reply to

Sorry, OS 10.11.6

I have tried four different drivers for the Intous Pro and currently using 6.3.18.4 with MC 8.7.

The current Wacom driver is most buggy I found for me but I suspect that many factors will affect that. I come from film to tape to non-linear and early days of Quantel and Discrete Logic pretty much only worked with a tablet plus I'ver had nerve damage in my mouse click hand for years and the tablet helps greatly with that.

Drag function works perfectly on the tablet using Touch functions...

Donny

Three MC Symphony systems, Autodesk Smoke, Graphics systems and The Cave...our play loud, mix loud and smell like beer room of audio awesomeness! [view my complete system specs]

don wilson
    V3DFilms.com
    americanamediainc.com

email
    : don@V3Dfilms.com
    Studio: 818.358-4151
    Mobile: 818-267-7181
    IMDB

• Sun, Jan 8 2017 2:44 PM In reply to

• funckdren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,835

Interesting. I wonder if it might somehow be tied to El Capitan. I use another app called Karabiner that allows me to remap my modifier keys -- I find it is less reiable in El Cap. Somtimes I have to do keystrokes twice with it. Had zero problems with it on Mavericks.

I'm thinking of back-revving to Mavericks this week and still working with 8.7 to see if click & drag problems go away. Not that that helps you much, but it would probably be useful for the engineers to know if this is somehow tied to a certain OS.

Anyone else seeing this issue on Yosemite or Sierra?

• Sun, Jan 8 2017 4:30 PM In reply to

• Jason Sedmak
    • Not Ranked
    • Denver
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,005

I have a second boot partition I use for smoke that's Yosemite... I'll try it out...

• Mon, Jan 9 2017 5:21 PM In reply to

• Jason Sedmak
    • Not Ranked
    • Denver
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,005

Okay, I can confirm that the Wacom issue is still there in Yosemite using MC 8.7....

I booted using my 10.10.5 Yosemite, and fresh installed (never had AVID installed), created (obviously) a new user preference, and all the same bugs with the stylus are still there.

The Wacom driver in this instance was 6.3.15-2

JS

• Mon, Jan 9 2017 5:49 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,718
    • Points 113,695
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Folks

Let me get on this thread and get some consolidated info and send off to testing.

stand by

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Jan 9 2017 8:12 PM In reply to

• Jason Sedmak
    • Not Ranked
    • Denver
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,005

Thanks, Marianna -- glad to hear from you!

JS

• Mon, Jan 9 2017 9:08 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,718
    • Points 113,695
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Jason, Brian and Donny...

I created a case #03121016 - dded myself to it and a support peep will connect. I am putting in a note that the support peep needs to touch base with QA as they tested the tablet and the "fix" for 8.7.

Stand by

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Jan 9 2017 9:29 PM In reply to

• Jason Sedmak
    • Not Ranked
    • Denver
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,005

Thank you,

JS

• Tue, Jan 10 2017 2:46 AM In reply to

• funckdren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,835

Yes, thank you Marianna!

Just to be clear, there are two different issues in this thread. The OP was describing this auto-click problem where a bin or item in a bin is selected even though you're just hovering over it. I'm seeing this behavior A LOT in 8.7 -- happened to me around 25 times today. When it happens, I put down my Wacom pen and check to see if I get the same behavior with a mouse...I do. So it may or may not be Wacom related.

The other issue is click & drag misfiires with the Wacom pen. I'm currently running a Beta build of 8.7.1 and I think this is happenng less, but I'm still testing. That said, I do get click & drag misfires whenever the hover problem happens and selects something in the bin. I go to click on something else and nothing happens. So maybe it's all related.

Tomorrow I'm gonna uninstall Wacom and force myself to use a mouse all day. I want to see if this hover problem is indeed Wacom related.

• Tue, Jan 10 2017 2:55 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,718
    • Points 113,695
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I added that to the case already Brian.....  

Ed has the case and will be working with you 3 on it.

marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller