Latest post Wed, Mar 1 2017 4:49 PM by Mark Renz. 39 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 15 2016 6:30 PM

Media Composer v8.7.2 | AVAILABLE

Avid is pleased to announce the release of Media Composer | Software v8.7.

HOW TO GET:
    The latest update to Media Composer is available worldwide as of December 15, 2016 from the Avid Download Center or through the Application Manager.

The ability to launch Media Composer software is dependent on the status of the customers Upgrade and Support Plan on the date this software version was released.

- Please read the How to Update Your License page before upgrading to this release.

- More detailed information is also available on the Upgrade and Support Plan FAQ page.

- The FlexVersioner, as has been stated in the past, is no longer supported for this release.  See the Support Upgrade article for instructions on how to upgrade your dongle based  or SW licensing based System.

NEW FEATURES:
    New in this release includes:

- Matchframe Matte Keys & Titles: You can now matchframe on matte keys and titles that are created or dropped into sequences starting with 8.7. (This will not work for matte keys and titles in existing sequences. See the README for more information.)

- Audio Dupe Detection

- Support for Sonly XVAC LongG

- Rotation Presets in FrameFlex

- Controlling which track is shown in split view

- Bin Enhancements

...and more!

BUG FIXES:
    This update includes 20+ bug fixes, including:

- The Wacom pen did not work properly with the editing application.
    - When adding filler with a sequence containing markers, some of the markers did not shift as expected.
    - In some instances, copy, paste, undo, and redo functions stopped working.
    - Video levels might have changed when animating a title.
    ...and more!

OS SUPPORT:
    This release supports macOS 10.12.1 (Sierra), as well as 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and 10.10.5 (Yosemite).
    macOS 10.9.x (Mavericks) is no longer officially supported and tested with this version.

NOTE: To those users upgrading to Sierra for the first time, please deactivate & uninstall Media Composer FIRST, upgrade the OS, then reinstall Media Composer.  If you use Avid Artist DNxIO, you must also uninstall the Desktop Video software and reinstall it after the OS upgrade.

README:
    The README for 8.7 can also be found attached to this post. The "What's New" guide is attached to the first reply in this thread. As always, please read the docs before upgrading to understand any known issues.

If you have any comments or questions regarding the installation of this version, please post it here.  For other bugs or questions, please start a new thread.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Dec 15 2016 6:38 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer v8.7 | NOW AVAILABLE!

And here is the "What's New" document detialing the features.

Again, please note that the Matchframing of Matte Keys and Titles only works with matte keys and titles dropped into sequences in 8.7 and going forward. There simply is no metadata stored in old sequences that would allow for matchframing.

Workarounds include:

1. Editing titles in older sequences will create new titles and those will be matchframeable.
    2. Using the "Recreate Title" function will create new titles and those will be matchfremeable.
    3. Recutting in existing matte keys will make them matchframeable. (You DO NOT need to reimport media, or create a new clip.)

This has been a request 20+ years in the making and it is finally here, altough I know there will be some disappointment that it doesn't work for old sequences. But when you understand the engineering, it makes sense. Hopefully this will be less of an issue as we go forward and more and more sequences are created in 8.7 and up.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Dec 16 2016 11:51 PM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 558
    • Points 6,570

While updates like this are nice to get - matchframing to titles was certainly not on the top of my priorty list. When will we get a Recent Projects option at startup like most modern apps from Microsoft Office to all the Apple & Adobe products?

I switch between, as well as in and out and back into multiple projects maybe 20 or 30 times a day and I would save at least 1/2 hour each day not having to sift through the organised menu structure on our server each time I switch projects. It would be SO NICE to be able to switch projects from a drop down menu. Why can't Media Composer remember the paths to say . . . my 10 most recently used projects? Come on Avid . . !

Also, how about the ability to Option-Command-Click to load a sequence into the source monitor instead of clicking and dragging for the past 25 years. Seriously, how hard could that be to include in an update sometime? I mean really . . . 

2014 27" iMac i7 3.5, 512GB PCI Flash, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4GB, OS 10.11.3, MC 8.5.1, 2nd 27 inch Cinema Display. Also 15" MBP... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 19 2016 1:40 PM In reply to

• bernhard
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 16 2010
    • Posts 15
    • Points 175

Hello,

thank you for the update but although the wacom bug is listet as fixed it is unfortunately still not workink properly..

Regards,

Bernhard

3x Avid MC 8.7, Mac Pro 2013 3,5 GHz 6-Core, Mac OS 10.11.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4k, Areca 8050t2 Raid 24TB [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 20 2016 2:57 PM In reply to

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 413
    • Points 4,840

When I started up MC 8.7 I got a notice to uninstall the Sony AMA plugin and install latest from Nablet. Silly question is how do I uninstall a plugin from AMA?

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Retina 15" with 2 TB Displays OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. Media Composer 8.5. BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. BM Desktop Video... [view my complete system specs]

Editor

• Tue, Dec 20 2016 3:00 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,344
    • Points 159,245

kellyv:

When I started up MC 8.7 I got a notice to uninstall the Sony AMA plugin and install latest from Nablet. Silly question is how do I uninstall a plugin from AMA?

There should be uninstallers somewhere but I usually just trash the old ones from application support / avid / avx / ama

( or drag them to the desktop to make sure that I haven´t trashed the wrong plugins )

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Dec 20 2016 3:07 PM In reply to

• bernhard
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 16 2010
    • Posts 15
    • Points 175

kellyv,

just install the latest sony plugins from nablet, they will automatically remove the old ones within the ama folder.

Cheers,

Bernhard

3x Avid MC 8.7, Mac Pro 2013 3,5 GHz 6-Core, Mac OS 10.11.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4k, Areca 8050t2 Raid 24TB [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 20 2016 3:08 PM In reply to

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 413
    • Points 4,840

Thanks. I was looking in the wrong Library folder. Found them!

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Retina 15" with 2 TB Displays OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. Media Composer 8.5. BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. BM Desktop Video... [view my complete system specs]

Editor

• Wed, Dec 21 2016 5:23 PM In reply to

• lztybrn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 1 2016
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

At the risk of seeming churlish, this seems like a minor enhancement indeed, and given that the last update wasn't even a month ago, I'd really like to better understand this seemingly never-ending rush to release version enhancements at such a breakneck pace. it is especially infuriating when moving from a dot-point-dot revision to another to find menu choices have moved, when it would seem to make more sense to release more comprehensive updates perhaps with less frequency. It's not been a month since 8.6.5 and now we are on 8.7 and I anticipate 8.7.1,2,3 etc will come along at the same breakneck pace and provide incremental enhancements and the usual confusing shifts of menu items and relabeling of buttons that would truly be better suited to .0 or .5 version updates. If you're patching bugs that's one thing, and duly appreciated by all, but for me I find this endless stream of updates to be insufferable.

• Wed, Dec 21 2016 5:39 PM In reply to

While I don't speak for Avid directly, this is no doubt the new model of software development.

The version number is generally less significant than several years ago. Usually, a .x release involves some sort of functionality introduction, and .x.x releases tend to be focused on bug fixes.

Lincensing isn't based on versions anymore, it's based on time. Any release that occurs during your contract you are entitles to. It's not likt the old days when you bought in on v12 and received all of the point releases for free and then debated if you wanted to invest the additional dollars in v13.

FWIW, most companies have migrated to the subscription model and push updates as often as necessary. While I wish Avid would focus for a short time on just squashing a number of long-standing bugs, I appreciate the fact they do continue to improve the software every step of the way.

And remember...you don't HAVE to update.

-- Kevin

• Wed, Dec 21 2016 5:48 PM In reply to

• lztybrn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 1 2016
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

I teach a monthly class in Avid and students have generally downloaded the most recent version. All my visual aids are geared to current versions, so every time a new version drops, I either have to get students with the new version to downgrade to the previous one, or spend hours updating all my visual aids and video tutorials. All for very little gain, in the end, for anyone, really; and students, not reallly having any grasp on Avid yet, are sometimes annoyed to be forced down to a version that's not the newest, latest, greatest version that a new version number implies, even when there is no significant functional difference. I'm not saying my use case has to set the bar for everyone, but as anyone who's been on the wrong end of a botched release can attest, every new release demands testing before installation in large institutional settings, be they schools or post facilities. In the past it's been pretty straightforward, and interface changes, unless driven by some severe functionality constraint, would usually be held back for .5 or .0 releases, and this made a lot of sense to me and indeed still does.

Sometimes it feels like Avid is trying to compete with Adobe's even more ridiculous feature-cramming update schedule. Sometimes it feels like Adobe's putting out nightly builds, so frequent are the updates. There's something driving this other than customer focus as such, and although as you say it seems to be the way things are these days to some extent, it doesn't mean that if it's a hassle we shouldn't suggest as much to the powers that be. I'm just not so sure that this release and what it adds, for example, are something the Avid user base has been clamoring for to the extent that it merits its own release, along with the attendant clumsy hassles of AMA patching, etc. etc. 

• Wed, Dec 21 2016 8:19 PM In reply to

• JKL32
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 22 2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 210
    • Points 2,925

What version of BMD Desktop Video is supported with MC 8.7?

Avid Media Composer 8.6, BMD UltraStudio Mini Monitor(Desktop Video 10.8), New Mac Pro 8 core, D700, 64g RAM, El Capitan [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 21 2016 8:25 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,391
    • Points 109,670
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

The latest one.   10.8.3 and it is on the Download Center

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Dec 21 2016 8:28 PM In reply to

• JKL32
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 22 2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 210
    • Points 2,925

Marianna:

The latest one.   10.8.3 and it is on the Download Center

Marianna

...the latest is 10.8.4...

But I download 10.8.3! Thnx!

Avid Media Composer 8.6, BMD UltraStudio Mini Monitor(Desktop Video 10.8), New Mac Pro 8 core, D700, 64g RAM, El Capitan [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 23 2016 7:22 PM In reply to

• Corkey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 7 2015
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Has anyone tried 8.7 on 10.12.2? I know it's not yet supported for 10.12.2, but I'm curious, since I'm doing a fresh install on brand new hardware. Thanks.

Retina MacBookPro 15" 16GB (mid-2012); iMac 27" 4.0 quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo to 4.2, 32GB, (late 2015). [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller