Latest post Wed, Dec 7 2016 10:23 PM by smyers63. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 7 2016 11:20 AM

• Freddy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 5 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 247
    • Points 2,910
    • Avid Employee

Report analysis: Warning "lavasofttcpservice64.dll" can make MC crash at startup.

When MC crashes and you get a pop-up window to send a report to Avid, those are actually checked, and I was looking into some of those logs and one that was quite frequent was crashing because of adware/spyware.

I could see it was crashing on: "lavasofttcpservice64.dll" after doing some quick googling I found that it's a Malware/Spyware removal tool.

So don't forget to keep your System Clean from bad malware, and adware, this goes for both Windows, and Mac systems, but not with this llavasoft tool.

Since I don't know who sent in those reports, I can't inform the persons who was suffering from this about it, as the data is collected anonymously, so I don't know who is affected.

That's why i'm writing a small update here.

http://www.freddylinks.com <-- Find EVERYTHING Avid and Tutorials there. Probably the most comprehensive Avid only webpage with over 2000+ Links to Avid Video Tutorials and Avid Information for Media Composer, NewsCutter, Symphony, Interplay, ISIS, Unity MediaNetwork, ProTools, Avid Artist Series. Completely free of fees, registrations, and ads.

• Wed, Dec 7 2016 1:33 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,017
    • Points 10,990
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Report analysis: Warning adware/malware can make MC crash at startup.

pinned Big Smile

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 7 2016 5:45 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,465
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Freddy:

I could see it was crashing on: "lavasofttcpservice64.dll" after doing some quick googling I found that it's a Malware/Spyware

While I'm not saying that any particular software will or won't interfere with other software such as MC, Lavasoft AdAware is a legitimate program I used for many years to clean malware from systems.  The reason I no longer use it is not because of any problems but only because other protective software I began using made Lavasoft AdAware non-essential.  Notice the program's name is AdAware, meaning its purpose is to rid systems of adware and other unwanted software.

So, the message here is that if Lavasoft AdAware is causing problems with MC, then that should be dealt with but that program isn't malicious software in any way.  The dll being described here sounds like it's part of a firewall based upon its name.  If that is part of a firewall and that firewall isn't configured correctly, I'd expect MC to have problems with it.

Update: I've just checked the Lavasoft site to see what sort of product changes might have happened in the years since I last used AdAware.  The first change I noticed is the addition of a hyphen in the name to help avoid misunderstanding - it's now Ad-Aware.  The second thing is that it's a full antivirus program now.  The paid versions do have a firewall.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Wed, Dec 7 2016 9:41 PM In reply to

• Freddy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 5 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 247
    • Points 2,910
    • Avid Employee

Thank you for clarifying, I stand corrected.

The reason I got to that conclusion was because I googled that specific dll, and all I could find was people with problems, and their fight to get rid of it.

https://www.google.se/?gws_rd=cr&ei=VjtaUod6yorgBLzmgegL#q=lavasofttcpservice64.dll

..that is why I got very suspicious when I read all those results.

I guess a better way of solving this is to uninstall the product as it's not working well with Media Composer, and from what I can see, leading brand paint software. ;)

http://www.freddylinks.com <-- Find EVERYTHING Avid and Tutorials there. Probably the most comprehensive Avid only webpage with over 2000+ Links to Avid Video Tutorials and Avid Information for Media Composer, NewsCutter, Symphony, Interplay, ISIS, Unity MediaNetwork, ProTools, Avid Artist Series. Completely free of fees, registrations, and ads.

• Wed, Dec 7 2016 10:23 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,465
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Freddy:

Thank you for clarifying, I stand corrected.

The reason I got to that conclusion was because I googled that specific dll, and all I could find was people with problems, and their fight to get rid of it.

https://www.google.se/?gws_rd=cr&ei=VjtaUod6yorgBLzmgegL#q=lavasofttcpservice64.dll

..that is why I got very suspicious when I read all those results.

I guess a better way of solving this is to uninstall the product as it's not working well with Media Composer, and from what I can see, leading brand paint software. ;)

I understand.  If I hadn't already known something about the product I would have had similar suspicions.  People posting problems on the internet often don't know why something isn't working as they think it should and often exaggerate the extent of the problem.

I saw similar problems posted but most were from a few years ago.  The current version may not create the same problems and if the users having problems also use the firewall, having that firewall set up properly (just as having Windows firewall set up properly) might clear the problem.  I've had many problems with Avid AppMan when Windows Firewall got its settings messed up.  I don't think I can uninstall Windows to fix that! Big Smile

I searched the Lavasoft forums for anything about Media Composer and found nothing.  Hopefully someone running Ad-Aware as well as MC and having a crash will hear about this and ask Lavasoft about a fix.  If a configuration change wouldn't fix it then a program update might.

Maybe someday when I'm feeling like diving into it I might try the free version of Ad-Aware to see if the same issue comes up.  If it does, I could look into it further.

Do you know what version of MC and AppMan were being used on the system that sent the crash report?

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller