Latest post Fri, Apr 21 2017 2:17 PM by josh calvi. 41 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 26 2017 4:33 AM In reply to

• OppenEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 9 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Re: Video compression not recognized

Any progress on this? I'm experiencing this exact problem with media generated from resolve 12.5 MXF Op-Atom DNxHR444 as well.

• Thu, Jan 26 2017 4:03 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,027
    • Points 36,760

Here is a link to a thread where I give results for some of my testing.  Seems like Resolve is writing metadata quite differently than Avid when making DNx HR 444.

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/179871.aspx

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.4.5 / 8.5.2 | OS 10.10.x / OS Yosemite - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

New Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Feb 21 2017 3:17 PM In reply to

• Rihafilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 19 2010
    • Posts 39
    • Points 540

It's now almost 3 month since dhab reported this serious problem and still no news on this? No

Today I was replacing our old HP z800 workstation pc with a new HP z840  for our 2nd editing suite.
    The Media Composer on the old workstation wasn't up to date (version 8.4.5).
    I thought "new pc ... new Media Composer"! So I installed the latest version 8.8.
    But when I was loading up our huge tv-show project we are working on for the last 2 years the "fun began".
    All of a sudden a lot of video clips couldn't be played back.
    MC was giving me the error message "Video compression not recognized".
    I googled and found this thread describing exactly this issue...
    As some of the guys here have pointed out it seems to be a problem with DNxHR444 mxf atom files exported from Resolve.

dhab wrote in his post that the problems started with 8.6.5 so I installed 8.6.4.
    DNxHR444 files from Resolve played back fine with 8.6.4 but suddenly other files couln't be played back and gave the the error message "didreader xraiseunexpectedstreamstatus async timeout".
    It seems to be a similar problem to the "Video compression not recognized" since the error also occured with mxf files exported from Resolve, but this time not DNxHR444 but DNxHD185x.

So I went back to the old Media Composer 8.4.5. With this version everything plays back perfectly.

I think this is a serious issue and to be honest I am quite shocked that this hasn't been fixed yet.

Marianna, or anyone else who is reading this, please give us a status update!
    If you need some sample footage with "problematic mxf files" please write me a PM or an email.

MC 8.7.2, DNxIO 10.8.3, Windows 10 x64 Pro, 2x Xeon E5-2630 v3, Quadro M4000 (376.62), 32GB RAM, RAIDdeluxe 6Gb SAS 32TB 16-bay RAID-6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 21 2017 3:32 PM In reply to

• josh calvi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 12 2010
    • burlington, MA
    • Posts 48
    • Points 680
    • Avid Employee

Hi guys,

We have indeed been working on a fix for this.  The problem is actually caused by bad metadata written by Resolve but we are working on a way to handle the bad data in MC v8.8.1.  Thanks for you patience!

Josh Calvi | Senior Software Test Engineer | P&S Creative Professional [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 21 2017 4:16 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,581
    • Points 111,965
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thanks Josh for jumping in.... was out this weekend and didnt log on....  

Thanks for watching my back.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 5:29 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,623
    • Points 18,580

josh calvi:
    We have indeed been working on a fix for this.  The problem is actually caused by bad metadata written by Resolve but we are working on a way to handle the bad data in MC v8.8.1.  Thanks for you patience!

So Josh - just to re-iterate. The problem is bad metadata being generated by Resolve (and Shogun) apparently, that Avid has handled correctly for multiple versions but now rejects? So would simply rolling back the mxf plugin in Avid to an earlier version fix the issue?

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 10:52 AM In reply to

• Rihafilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 39
    • Points 540

Thanks Marianna and Josh for the update!
    Looks like 8.8.1 will be a very important bugfix update for us (render bug and the Resolve mxf metadata issue).
    Let's keep our fingers crossed... 

MC 8.7.2, DNxIO 10.8.3, Windows 10 x64 Pro, 2x Xeon E5-2630 v3, Quadro M4000 (376.62), 32GB RAM, RAIDdeluxe 6Gb SAS 32TB 16-bay RAID-6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 22 2017 12:23 PM In reply to

• Rihafilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 39
    • Points 540

oh... one more thing..
    planned release date for version 8.8.1 ? 

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 1:21 PM In reply to

• josh calvi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 12 2010
    • burlington, MA
    • Posts 48
    • Points 680
    • Avid Employee

It's more a case of the metadata was not being used prior to this.  We have been introducing new data handling to MC in order to utilize the mountains of metadata that are now being written into media.  Unfortunately no, you cannot get around this by rolling back the MXF plugin.  I am told the next Resolve patch fixes this on their end.  

As for an 8.8.1 release date I'm sorry but I can't comment on that.  I'm sure Marianna will provide some insight to all of you when that information is available.  

Josh Calvi | Senior Software Test Engineer | P&S Creative Professional [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 22 2017 1:28 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,581
    • Points 111,965
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Rihafilm...

No date yet to announce....  since 8.8 just came out it will be a bit.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Mar 2 2017 7:23 AM In reply to

I'm having the SAME issue... I didn't update or change a thing, it just started glitching out with this error message.

I was on 8.6, went down to 8.5, that didn't work. I created a thread about it but nobody on the Avid side seems to know how to fix it.  I bumped up to 8.8 but still the same bugs.

I see people are latching onto it being bad metadata.  However, this is glitching out on a sequence that now has no metadata.  It was originally linked to RED (R3D) footage... then I transcoded it.  The transcoded media should now be baked in with no metadata.  

It's beyond frusrating.

MC8/Symphony Option 8.8 Lenovo K450 nVidia GTX 780 ti (Superclocked) i7 4770 32GB RAM 750W Power [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 2 2017 3:22 PM In reply to

Jason,

Bit confused here. Are you dealing with media from Resolve or RED files transcoded within Avid? If its the latter then this is NOT the same issue as the OP and could be something else.

Can you clarify and explain what format you are transcoding to?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Mar 13 2017 7:37 PM In reply to

• Heydar Adel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 9 2010
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Hi Marianna,

Since 8.8.1 gold has been made public, do you know if this problem has been addressed? I don't see anything close to this in the "fixed bugs" list.

MC 8.6.4 (Symphony Option), Mac Pro 64GB 12-core, DNxIO 10.8 [view my complete system specs]

Heydar Adel

Senior Online Editor - Company 3

www.company3.com

http://www.imdb.me/heydaradel

• Mon, Mar 13 2017 7:42 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,581
    • Points 111,965
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Heydar

8.8.1 is not out yet.  I am just about to have our moderators start testing.  Why are you saying it is released???

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Mar 13 2017 8:07 PM In reply to

• Heydar Adel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 9 2010
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

My apologies, I meant gold release for the beta. We are a beta site but have been unable to keep using versions past 8.6.4 becuase of this issue since all of our footage is transcoded with Resolve.

Marianna:

Heydar

8.8.1 is not out yet.  I am just about to have our moderators start testing.  Why are you saying it is released???

Marianna

MC 8.6.4 (Symphony Option), Mac Pro 64GB 12-core, DNxIO 10.8 [view my complete system specs]

Heydar Adel

Senior Online Editor - Company 3

www.company3.com

http://www.imdb.me/heydaradel

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller