Latest post Mon, Dec 26 2016 4:41 PM by willss. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 21 2016 5:06 PM

Media Composer v8.6.5 | AVAILABLE - w/Sierra support

Avid is pleased to announce the release of Media Composer | Software v8.6.5.

HOW TO GET:
    The latest update to Media Composer is available worldwide as of November 21, 2016 from the Avid Download Center or through the Application Manager.

The ability to launch Media Composer software is dependent on the status of the customers Upgrade and Support Plan on the date this software version was released.

- Please read the How to Update Your License page before upgrading to this release.

- More detailed information is also available on the Upgrade and Support Plan FAQ page.

- The FlexVersioner, as has been stated in the past, is no longer supported for this release.  See the Support Upgrade article for instructions on how to upgrade your dongle based  or SW licensing based System.

NEW FEATURES:
    New in this release includes:

- Blackmagic Desktop Video: v10.8 is now supported.

- Source Browser - Create Bin Based on Folder:
    You can now create bind based on the folder where spurce media is located.

- Automatically generated folders no longer appear in the project window.

BUG FIXES:
    This update includes 20+ bug fixes, including:

- You might have received an “AudioStreamReader” error when shuttling backward with the J key
    - You might have received Exception errors when transcoding OP1a files to another format.
    - Locators at the same timecode value were lost or hidden from view in some instances.
    - If you had a bin with audio effects in a Media Composer v7.x system and you tried to open it in a Media Composer v8.6.2 system, you might have received Exception errors.
    - A batch import would fail with an “Exception: Cannot quick import a mixed resolution QuickTime movie” error if you were performing a batch import on previously imported decomposed master clips.
    - In some instances, you might have received an “SFPlay Timeout” error when playing back an XDCAM EX .mov file.
    - In some instances, Wav files were imported with incorrect timecode.

OS SUPPORT:
    This release now supports macOS 10.12.1 (Sierra), as well as 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and 10.10.5 (Yosemite).

NOTE: To those users upgrading to Sierra for the first time, please deactivate & uninstall Media Composer FIRST, upgrade the OS, then reinstall Media Composer.  If you use Avid Artist DNxIO, you must also uninstall the Desktop Video software and reinstall it after the OS upgrade.

README:
    The README for 8.6.5 can also be found attached to this post. As always, please read the docs before upgrading to understand any known issues.

If you have any comments or questions regarding the installation of this version, please post it here.  For other bugs or questions, please start a new thread.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Sun, Nov 27 2016 12:59 PM In reply to

• dilemme9
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 24 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 55

Re: Media Composer v8.6.5 | NOW AVAILABLE - w/Sierra support

Hello,

Sorry for my english, I'm french.

I install the 8.6.5 and it crashes at the application launch, just before the apparition of the project window. It was the same with the 8.6.3 and I needed to reinstall the 8.6.1 witch is the only version who is running good. I will try the 8.6.4 version but I am a little upset by that.

I run on MacPro (mi-2010) 3,33GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 12 Go RAM - SSD Drive on MAC OSX 10.10.5

MAC PRO Westmere 6x3,33GHz - 12Go - SSD Yosemite 10.10.5 Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 28 2016 4:08 PM In reply to

Do you know how to access the crash report?

If so, if you can post just the first 30 lines or so (DON'T post the whole thing) that might help.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 9:09 AM In reply to

Check the threads on crashing on launch. Might be a rogue Matrox or Blackmagic plug-in. and why are you a little upset by 8.6.4? Been OK for me.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.7.2, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.11.6 with MC 8.6.4. Very old MacBook... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 2:09 PM In reply to

• klein19
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 16 2006
    • Montreal, Qc, Canada
    • Posts 137
    • Points 1,695

I had the same problem with 8.6.4, hopefully 8.6.5 fixes the problem of crashing at startup. Doesn't seem like it though based on user Dilemme9's experience. Anyone else?

MacPro 2.7GHz 12 core, 64GB RAM, Dual AMD FirePro D700 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 29 2016 2:53 PM In reply to

I definitely had crashes on startup related to Matrox plugins after 8.6.1, including 8.6.5.  No more crashes after uninstalling the Matrox plugin.  I'm OK on the newest BlackMagic plugin.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.11.6, Avid Media Composer 8.8.3, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 29 2016 3:13 PM In reply to

• klein19
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 16 2006
    • Montreal, Qc, Canada
    • Posts 137
    • Points 1,695

Stupid question of the day, how would I go about uninstalling a matrox driver? I have DaVinci Lite installed, could that be the culprit?

MacPro 2.7GHz 12 core, 64GB RAM, Dual AMD FirePro D700 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 29 2016 7:15 PM In reply to

Unlikely to be Resolve. If you have Matrox or BMD drivers, you might find uninstallers in the Applications folder or try right-clicking on the Pref Pane in Sytem Prefs. Having said that, I am running MC 8.6.3 at home with BMD drivers v 10.8.1 with my Mini Monitor. All good.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.7.2, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.11.6 with MC 8.6.4. Very old MacBook... [view my complete system specs]

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Fri, Dec 16 2016 6:11 PM In reply to

• willss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 24 2013
    • Posts 10
    • Points 70

Re: Media Composer v8.6.5 | AVAILABLE - w/Sierra support

Not sure if this is the right place for a bug report, but hoping this is helpful, despite the caveat that it's on a fairly beefy (but technichally not supported) 3Ghz i7 mac mini, 16GB RAM (with the underpowered Intel Iris 1536 MB graphics card)

Any suggestions appreciated (even if it's "Getter a better machine, works fine for me!")

i've noticed trim mode doesn't work proerly for me in this version,. The 2 issues i'm having:

1. Unless you are monitoring the track you are trimming, the trim display doesnt update correctly. eg. if you have monitoring on a higher video track than  the track you are trimming (and trimming in the timeline with rollers) the trim sides don't update, or there is other weird buggy behavior like it briefly shows the right hand side rather than updating the left hand side). Wondering if this is the same for supported machines? 

2. Even if you are monitoring the same track, trimming is much more sluggish than usual 

Freshly installed OSX 10.11.6, MC 10.6.5

I'm using a 1/5th full raid 0 drive with low bitrate DNxHD offline codec, no AJA or Blackmagic cards, audio card is either an apogee duet or m-audio m-track

Thanks all!

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px 'Helvetica Neue'}

• Fri, Dec 16 2016 9:23 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,185
    • Points 106,920
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Will

Lets have support look at this...  I created a case for you and they will start looking at this.

Case # 03106505

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Sat, Dec 17 2016 6:10 PM In reply to

We use Mac Minis for capture and playin at my Uni but not much for editing as such. I tried trimming on my home iMac (i5, 3.2Ghz, 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6) with MC 8.6.5 and all seemed normal. Are you working with linked media or Avid mediafiles?

• Mon, Dec 19 2016 1:14 AM In reply to

• willss
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 70

Thanks Mariana & Roger

Using advid media files (MXF) and not linked media.

ps. Spotted some older 8.4 posts noticing the trim display doesnt work properly if any track above V1 being monitored, so could be a consisten thing?

• Mon, Dec 26 2016 4:41 PM In reply to

• willss
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 70

Potential Target Mask bug:

I noticed when doing exports, the target mask dissapears whenever i have placed a 3d Warp on a clip. (so you have a situation where say your 1:2.39 mask is popping on and off when watching the resulting file. (Export method QT Ref which is then transcoded)

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller