Latest post Mon, Feb 12 2018 2:56 PM by Roger Shufflebottom. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 1 2016 5:04 PM

G-Raid drive not properly seen by MC 8.6.x

I think this was mentioned on the Avid-L2. One of the media drives on my system is a G-Raid enclosure with two 1 TB drives striped together for performance using Apple Disk Utility. Using Media Composer 8.6.x, I can see the drive in the Source Browser and I can export to the drive as it shows up in the export dialogue. What I can’t do is consolidate or transcode or render or import as the drive does not appear (all drive filtering is off). If I try to render and click through the various error messages, in the end it will render with a message saying something like ‘using only available local drive’ and the media can be found on the 'invisible' volume.

The G-Raid does not show up in the Media Tool, but weirdly, if ‘All Drives’ is selected in the Media Tool dialogue, media on the G-Raid shows up after searching. Before you ask, I have tried the ‘Alldrives’ console command. This is very irritating as I do need to transcode to this drive.

Drive permissions are Read/Write for all. Mac OS 10.11.6. Drive is connected via Thunderbolt.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.10., BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.12.5 with MC 8.10 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Nov 2 2016 12:15 PM In reply to

• benholden
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 13 2015
    • London, UK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 425

Re: G-Raid drive not properly seen by MC 8.6.x

Not an answer per say but an observation, as long as your spec is correct(?), OS X 10.11.6, i think should be used only with 8.6.3 and 8.6.4. Your spec says 8.6.1 which i think should be used only with OS 10.11.5.

(sorry if this is incorrect info etc!)

Avid MC v8.10.0 / Mojo DX / Mac Pro 6.1 late 2013 / MacOS 10.12.6 / 16 GB Memory / AMD FirePro D500 / 3GHz 8 Core Intel Xeon E5 / LG 34UC98 Ultra Wide... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 2 2016 1:01 PM In reply to

I need to update my profile! On 8.6.4 but seen the error with earlier versions.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.10., BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.12.5 with MC 8.10 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Fri, Nov 4 2016 3:42 PM In reply to

OK - this seemed to be a bizarre User Profile issue. I move from room to room at my university, somethimes using a projector and with a different combination of drives and using different user profiles. Yesterday I could not render anything to my usually rock-solid USB3 drive (not the Thunderbolt drive I mentioned in the first post). Today I trashed all the user profiles and started again and everything seems good.

• Mon, Feb 12 2018 2:56 PM In reply to

I'm now on v 8.10. I see another couple of threads on similar issues. Last week I opened nearly 70 student projects for review and was able to create title media and render to my G-Raid array. Today I can't! AMA linking works to files on the drive and it looked like I could set the G-Raid as the default drive in Media Creation settings but it was greyed out. If I try to create title media, render or use the Media Tool the volume is not visible. In this case a new User Profile did not work, neither did a restart or trashing MC state or making a new project. I expect tomorrow it will all work again.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller