Latest post Wed, Nov 6 2019 9:13 AM by DavidTebbe. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 6 2016 12:40 AM

• storycuts
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 6 2016
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

Relink AMA files

Hi,

I have the Media Composer 8.6.

All the files in the project are linked with AMA.

I change the project and the files to another harddrive.

Now all the files are off line.

How can I relink the files, that are in a new location, with AMA?

Thanks a lot,

Jorge

Filed under:
  • Sat, Aug 6 2016 1:34 AM In reply to

Re: Relink AMA files

In a new bin try a new "Link" to one of your source media folders on the new hard drive. 
    When linked open your original bin with the original linked media.  
    Has it come back online?
    If it has you can delete the new bin you just created (or just move that bin into a Folder named something that will remind you what it's purpose was)

If it works repeat for any other offline media.

• Mon, Aug 8 2016 1:14 PM In reply to

If not too many files, simply point the new Source Browser to to new location and they'll come back on line. It would be good to have a 'Relink to files in this folder and subfolders ...' feature and then we could just point to a folder or drive and Bingo! Well, maybe.

iMac i5 27", 32GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2019.8, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.12.6 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Mon, Aug 8 2016 1:41 PM In reply to

It depends if the footage was linked by files or volumes.

Volume based media (like P2 & XDCAM) requires you to open a new bin and relink from scratch. Once those files are online, you'll see your original clips are relinked as well, and you can delete the new bin you created.

File-based media (like QuickTime movies or MP4s) can be relinked by highlighting the clips, then right-clicking and selecting Relink to AMA Files and pointing to the first file requested. Any other files also located in that folder should be found. If files exist in other places, you';ll need to point to each folder individually.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Aug 8 2016 3:34 PM In reply to

Sorry - I disagree with that. I must say that the Source Browser has made relinking non-Avid media much easier. I just ran a test, linking to a P2 card and an XDCAM card, cutting a sequence, quitting, copying the cards to a new drive, unmounting the original drive and firing up Media Composer again - all media offline, of course. All I needed to do was browse to the new locations on the new drive and everything relinked OK. No new bins needed.

iMac i5 27", 32GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2019.8, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.12.6 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Mon, Aug 8 2016 4:09 PM In reply to

That may be, I hadn't tested that process. If that works with the Source Browser and 8.6, great.

Those on older MC versions will have to follow what I outlined when they move linked media to a new location.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Aug 8 2016 4:16 PM In reply to

Quite so but the OP mentioned 8.6.

• Wed, Nov 6 2019 9:13 AM In reply to

• DavidTebbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 11 2018
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Thank you so much!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller