Latest post Fri, Jul 22 2016 7:54 AM by cocarroll. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 21 2016 1:50 PM

• cocarroll
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 22 2007
    • Waterford, Ireland
    • Posts 66
    • Points 855

Extending a clip in AvidFX

Hi,

I have just finished quite a complicated animated opening title clip in AvidFX and realised that I have not left any time to dwell on the final title, so I need to add three seconds onto the clip without disturbing the previous timings. The timing of the clip is quite comlicated with the "camera" following a row of "typeon" dots - a bit like a reverse PacMan where the dots are appearing rather than disappearing!

Is this possible to do without having to move all the keyframes and re-sync each one individually?

Thanks,

C.

Windows 7 64bit, Quadro K2000, 32G RAM, MC7.0.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 21 2016 3:06 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

Re: Extending a clip in AvidFX

I would probably just try this first:

Duplicate the sequence first.  From the effects editor (not the Avid FX editor) drag the effect clip to a bin.  then delete the effect from the exiting clip in the timeline.  Extend the clip for the additional time you need, leaving its in-point intact.  Drag the effect clip onto your newly extended clip.  Either render for review or enter the Avid FX editor to check the timing.  I think Avid FX may leave your keyframes where they originally were.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 21 2016 3:38 PM In reply to

• cocarroll
    • Not Ranked
    • Waterford, Ireland
    • Posts 66
    • Points 855

Unfortunately it just stretched all the frames out over the extended time. My guess is that I have to do something in AvidFX itelf. I have look in Preferences and Project settings where it shows the length of the clip, but you can't change it there. I have also tried to drag a clip to the right so that it's end keyframe is further on the timeline, but It won't let me navigate out to there.

I also tried to "Insert Composition" but it inserts it horizontally rather than vertically.

• Thu, Jul 21 2016 5:04 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

Try as I suggest above, but before you do, go into the effect in Avid FX editor and select Window/Show Keyframe Palette.  In the dialog that opens, check the box that says Keep Keyframe Time, then Save the effect.  Then do the steps above in my first post.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 22 2016 7:54 AM In reply to

• cocarroll
    • Not Ranked
    • Waterford, Ireland
    • Posts 66
    • Points 855

Thanks Pheral. That did the trick - I knew there had to be a way! I didn't have to do any copying of the FX in MC. All I did was enable the "Keep Keyframe Time", "Apply" and then stretch the clip in MC. When I went back to FX, the final keyframe was where it was and there was 5 more seconds of blank - exactly what I was after Smile

Thanks again,

C.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller