Latest post Thu, Jul 28 2016 7:32 PM by Pat Horridge. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 30 2016 3:32 PM

DNxIO No Analog Audio Capture - Ultrastudio 4K

I deployed two DNxIO boxes with the hope that the analog audio input difficulties could be figured out. No such luck! Still getting no audio,  "SFplay Consumer" errors, or, most commonly, "Unexpected frame rate" errors.

I know others have suggested that Blackmagic devices need video signal even if you're only recording audio so I've tried looping output video to the input and feeding ref and 23.98 to the input. This reduces the "Unexpected frame rate" errors but I haven't found a way to make it reliable. 

Often, levels either show up in meters, but just as often there is bupkis.

Ultimately, I want this unit to perform like a Mojo or Nitris DX. My editors should be able to focus on editing, not troubleshooting scratch VO problems. Avid, this is on you. Your name is on the front panel and I paid extra so that we wouldn't have to worry about issues like this.

HP Z4G4, Z440, Z420, & Macs • 32GB RAM • Media Composer 2018.9 (et al.) • Windows 10 Professional on all PCs • OS 10.10.5 on all Macs • DNxIO, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 30 2016 7:29 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Re: DNxIO No Analog Audio Capture - Ultrastudio 4K

Not sure if this will help but you have to use Avid's version of the Desktop Video downloaded from Avid's site. If you use any version downloaded from Blackmagic Design you will have issues.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/Avid-Artist-DNxIO-Support-Page 

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Thu, Jun 30 2016 7:36 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,845

You and me both. We bought two of the DNxIOs to upgrade two of our best edit rooms and shock of shocks as we found they are not an upgrade but a major downgrade. Not only is it a royal pia to capture audio but they also only have one reference input. Even though the documentation clearly states two reference inputs. It has one reference input with a passthrough output. When your rooms are used to cut TV shows in 29.97 and 23.98 every single day, two reference inputs make life 1000x easier.

As to your audio dilemna. What we ended up doing was buying a video signal test generator and plugging that into the DNxIO boxes. Then when someone wants to record audio they switch to a project with matched settings to the test generator and it records the audio just fine. It's a hassle and a half workaround but it gets the job done. I don't believe connecting the video out to the video in will work because that might cause a video feedback which Avid would cause Avid to believe there is not a valid video signal.

To say the least we moved these boxes to our poorest rooms instead of keeping them in our best rooms.

As to who to blame here? Well... If you open BlackMagic's capture software, with Avid closed, guess what happens? If you guessed that you can record audio without a valid video signal connection then you would be correct. Only in Avid does this box need a valid video signal to enable recording of audio. When we engaged support about this they said call BlackMagic. When we called BlackMagic they said does it work with our software? Yes? Then call Avid.

HP zBook 17 G3, z220, HP z240, HP z420, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, Dell Precision 3430, Dell Precision 7810, Apple iMac i5 27-Inch (5K, Late 2015). 16GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 30 2016 8:56 PM In reply to

Yes, we are using Avid recommended BMD software.

HP Z4G4, Z440, Z420, & Macs • 32GB RAM • Media Composer 2018.9 (et al.) • Windows 10 Professional on all PCs • OS 10.10.5 on all Macs • DNxIO, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 30 2016 9:00 PM In reply to

Avid and BMD need to work this out, but I think it's Avid's responsibility to make it work with their software as intended. Since we still get errors, even with ref or video input, I think we'll probably just end up using a USB interface.

Hey Avid, why not just have an audio input for scratch VO? Seems like an easy thing to cobble together. No video, no punch-in, just a meter and an input.

Frustrating.

• Fri, Jul 1 2016 10:53 PM In reply to

• MagnusMeerkat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 29 2005
    • Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
    • Posts 189
    • Points 2,235

I just feed a ref signal into the composite in.  This gets the audio capture working.

Symphony 2018.5, Mac Pro 2010 3.33ghz 6core, 32gb, OS X 10.11.6, DNxIO --- MC 9.3 Mac Pro 2009 2.6GHz 6 Core, 32GB, OS X 10.11.6, Nitris DX ---- MC 9.5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 28 2016 7:16 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,447
    • Points 221,285
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Chris

Let me get this logged and a case started and get a tech savvy DNxIO peep internally on this.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Jul 28 2016 7:32 PM In reply to

This has been a limitation for as long as I can remember with BMD hardware. Yes its a real pain.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller