Latest post Wed, Mar 15 2017 11:54 PM by Jonathan2780. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 23 2016 4:55 PM

• Raldan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 13
    • Points 175

Master Clip corruption - Missing Waveform on Right Channel

We have occurances of corrupted master clips that are missing one channel of waveform data, always the right channel, of a dual mono pair of audio.  (We run in alternating L/R always, and all stereo clips are a pair of channels, left and right) These clips trigger this error message in the console when used in a timeline:

Exception occurred during waveform drawing - what: CORE_PTR_IS_NULL xcode: CORE_PTR_IS_NULL expandStr: Exception: CORE_PTR_IS_NULL, className:WaveformCache.c, methodName:BuildWaveformSourceRefUID, pointerName:itsRef

When the clip in question is viewed in the Source or Monitor window, the timelines show missing waveform data only on the right side.  

These error messages repeat many times in succession, slowing performance and causing random crashes.  Once a clip triggers this message, unlinking and re-importing from original media will not repair the master clip. The only way to fix this is to reimport the media to a new master clip and delete the old master clip. Again, reimporting the original master clip will not fix the missing waveform issue. The original clip will need to be replaced in all the timelines it lives in, as it triggers the error messages and hurts performance.  Not sure if this is a known bug, but it occurs here in our seven Avid systems.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Pete Parise

Editor, Garbo Post

Wheel of Fortune

Media Composer 2018.4 (Symphony Option) - Mac Pro (Mid 2010) Westmere 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Zeon 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC - 500 SSD - 6 TB RAID - Avid... [view my complete system specs]

-----------------------------
    Pete Parise
    Editor, Garbo Post
    Wheel of Fortune
    (310) 244-3714 (o)
    (951) 203-9761 (c)

• Sun, Nov 20 2016 3:33 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 434
    • Points 5,075

Re: Master Clip corruption - Missing Waveform on Right Channel

anyone knows if this is a logged bug?

MC 8.4.4 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX 1070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 25 2016 12:55 PM In reply to

• John Pale
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 19 2011
    • NYC
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,075

Rather than replace the master clip, what happens if you delete the waveform cache and let it rebuild?

Mac Pro 5,1 (2009-firmware upgrade to 2010). Self upgraded to 12 core (2 x Hex Core Westmere 2.93Ghz) 32 GB Ram Mac OSX 10.11.3 Avid MC 8.5 NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 25 2016 2:15 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 434
    • Points 5,075

nothing at all.

same goes for wfAllData

this only fixes inaccurate waveforms.

MC 8.4.4 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX 1070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 15 2017 11:54 PM In reply to

I have been having this problem and went through everything systematically to try and solve it.

The left channel of audio on SOME linked clips was not displaying a waveform on the timeline. Otheers were fine. 

I re-linked media - no change.
    I replaced media with a backup copy - no change. This suggests the media is not corrupt.
    It seems to be a weird bin/project problem. 

SOLUTION: follow these steps carefully

1. Close all the bins in the 'problem' project.

2. Open a new project
    3. Create a new bin and link the media from problem project.
    4. Cut some problem media into a timeline with waveform set to display. Waveform should display correctly.
    5. Open the bin of problem media from the problem project. The new bin somehow links to the problem bin. If the clips have a colour, you'll see the clip colour also change in the new bin. 
    6. Cut the same clip from the problem bin, into the same timeline. You should have two identical clips in the timeline (one from the new bin/project, and one from the problem bin you opened.
    7. Save & close problem bin, and close new project.
    8. Open problem project.
    9. Open problem bin. Save problem bin.

Waveforms should now appear!!!!

TOOK ME AGES TO FIGURE THIS OUT!
    Hope it works for you too. 
    Not sure why it happened but definitely a bug.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller