Latest post Wed, Mar 2 2016 3:46 PM by AmericanRonin. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 2 2016 2:25 AM

• tudora
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 19 2012
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

Avid 8.5 hangs on El Capitan for me

Foolishly, I upgraded to El Capitan when right it came out, not thinking about the consequences to Media Composer.  So I've been without my Avid for many months.  I kept updating the OS too, since Media Composer wasn't going to work anyway, and I'm now at OSX El Capitan 10.11.3.

So I was thrilled when MC 8.5 came out the other day! But, MC 8.5 still won't launch.  I read I should have uninstalled my old version (which must have been 6 or 7).  So I did that, then I uninstalled 8.5 as well.  Then I redownloaded 8.5 and reinstalled it.  But MC 8.5 still hangs, at "Initialize AVX2 Host"

Any ideas what to do?

Thanks!

Tudor

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) 5,1 3.33 GHz 6-Core, 32GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5870 1024MB

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 2:43 AM In reply to

Re: Avid 8.5 hangs on El Capitan for me

tudora:
    Initialize AVX2 Host
    Try moving the AVX2 plugins folder from its current location and then try restarting MC 8.5.

If that works you may need to add an empty AVX2 plug in folder back to the original location. Then add small groups of plugins and re try starting MC.  You are trying to find (the) plug-ins that MC is not happy with.

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 4:30 AM In reply to

Having the same issue.  Trying the advice above, but still not working.  AppMan will also not open.

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 5:37 AM In reply to

AmericanRonin:
    Having the same issue.  AppMan will also not open.
    FWIW I saw Avid failing to open with AVX2 error and App Manager failing to open with 8.4.3 an earlier Application Manager version and the then current BlackMagic desktop software installed.

Did you follow the Before Installing the Editing Applications details on Page 7 of the readme?
    If you have a BlackMagic card or the new Artist IO i think you need a specific version of the BM desktop software. 

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 6:37 AM In reply to

Interesting...  I do have BlackMagic Desktop installed.  I'll play around with uninstalling BlackMagic Desktop, then reinstalling Avid.  Fortunately, I'm doing this on a secondary Avid computer....while I am in hte middle of editing a project on another computer using 8.4.5.  Thanks!

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 7:20 AM In reply to

Unfortunately, uninstalling BlackMagic Design Desktop Video, restarting, reinstalling Avid MC 8.5, then restarting (on a MacBook Pro 2011) did not do the trick.  The system still hangs on "Initialize AVX2 Host" when trying to launch Avid.  Open to other solutions.  Now that El Capitan is on the laptop, I don't want to revert to pre-Capitan.

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 8:17 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

AmericanRonin:
    Unfortunately, uninstalling BlackMagic Design Desktop Video, restarting, reinstalling Avid MC 8.5, then restarting (on a MacBook Pro 2011) did not do the trick.  The system still hangs on "Initialize AVX2 Host" when trying to launch Avid.  

As also mentioned in other threads , older versions of MB Looks can cause this, how about that one

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 8:41 AM In reply to

Hmmmm...  I just uninstalled Magic Bullet Looks (and PhotoLooks), but still: "AvidApplicationManager quit unexpectedly," and Avid Media Composer still gets hung up on "Initialize AVX2 Host."

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 10:32 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

AmericanRonin:

Hmmmm...  I just uninstalled Magic Bullet Looks (and PhotoLooks), but still: "AvidApplicationManager quit unexpectedly," and Avid Media Composer still gets hung up on "Initialize AVX2 Host."

Move them all out of the avx2 folder, Avid should open up now, and then move them back one by one to see what plugin that causes this .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 7:43 PM In reply to

AmericanRonin:
    Avid Media Composer still gets hung up on "Initialize AVX2 Host."
    Found this in another thread

" Dan Bedford:

Upgraded the machine to OS X v10.11.3, and MC v8.5 is hanging at "Initialize AVX2 Host" when MB Looks v3.1.3 is installed.

Removed the file /Library/Application Support/Avid/AVX2_Plug-ins/Looks_x64.avx and MC opens fine, so the issue seems to be specific to MC v8.5 w/ MB Looks v2 or v3 on El Capitan v10.11.3."

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 11:31 PM In reply to

• tudora
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 19 2012
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

Thank Andrew!  That was exactly it.  Big Smile I guess Red Giant needs to update their Looks plugin.

I do have one remaining error "Could not connect to the Media Indexer."  Then i have to "continue in Disconnected Client Mode," but at least I'm able to conitnue!  And I'm very pleased about that.

Thanks again!

Tudor

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Feb 3 2016 12:54 AM In reply to

Yes!  I am finally able to open MC8.5 after removing the Magic Bullet plug-ins Looks_x64.avx and (for good measure) MisFire_64.avx.  However, Application Manager still crashes when I try to open it.  Fortunatley, I guess I really have no immediate need to open it.  The problem should probably go away with future updates...and I can always blast my dongle on a different computer, if necessary. 

Thanks, guys!

• Thu, Feb 11 2016 7:16 AM In reply to

• Bill Clark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 11 2010
    • Rutland, UK
    • Posts 18
    • Points 220

Had the same problem - thought it might be because I was running Adobe CC on the same machine - removed it all and that didn't work - but the Red Giant Looks plug in did - so THANKS Andrew!

Mac Pro 2009 / 2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 16 gig RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB, Lion 10.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 19 2016 6:20 PM In reply to

• RaskTV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 12 2011
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Same issue here. But had no MBL plug-in, so i uninstalled Neat video AVX2 and it worked for me.

• Wed, Mar 2 2016 3:44 AM In reply to

• Scott Abraham
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 11 2015
    • Toronto, Canada
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

I've had the same issue, removed the avx plugin folder as suggested & it starts up, I also have neat video which I had to remove but I use it a lot! What am I supposed to do? I updated Neat Video to latest version, still won't work. Been using Avid MC for 15 years but I'm getting fed up now with lots of issues, previous version MC 8.4 kept hanging, turned out to be an audio mixer bug. I just want it to work without crashing, hanging, not starting up properly. I pay for this product & I want it to work!

Macbook Pro Retina 2013, Avid MC 8.4, OSX 10.10.4 Yosemite [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller