Latest post Mon, Jan 9 2017 10:08 PM by Bruce Dixon. 162 replies.
Page 7 of 11 (163 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 2 2016 9:51 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,444
    • Points 221,250
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Avid 8.5 Mac taking forever to export files (Actually stops and cannot quit)

Hey there...

Yes people can get access but it is after they go to www.avid.com/beta and read all about the process.  Then take the beta survey - which is attached to the page - https://betatest.avid.com/efm/wsb.dll/s/bgbf - and then fill it out, save it and send via email too:

AvidBeta@avid.com

I always tell peeps to copy me on the email so i can ensure there is followup. Note that sometimes you wont be asked to aprticiapte depending on the features and fixes in each release.  Thats where the survey comes in and a discussion with keith who manages the Video beta.

HTH

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Mar 2 2016 9:55 PM In reply to

Re: Avid 8.5 Mac taking forever to export files (Actually stops and cannot quit)

But as an FYI, that release does not fix the export issue.

We'll keep everyone posted when it is.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Mar 2 2016 10:11 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,444
    • Points 221,250
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

JKl32

Just a lot under the hood - 8.5.1 is coming....

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Mar 5 2016 7:16 AM In reply to

• Dave Mann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 4 2006
    • London
    • Posts 55
    • Points 685

Hello Marianna,

Is there any news on a fix for 8.5 yet?

I am reluctant to put my Mac Pro back to Yosemite after upgrading to El Capitan so we are currently runing a machine down.

Many Thanks

Dave

Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 16GB 1866 MHz DdR3 ECC AMD FirePro D500 3072MB Black Magic Ultrastudio [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 10 2016 3:07 AM In reply to

• pwise
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 130

Hi Marianna!

Can you tell me how to export a QT? There used to be an Export choice under File, but now 8.5, it's output. and I don't know what to select to get to the export window. Thanks! Pam

• Thu, Mar 10 2016 3:06 PM In reply to

File > Output > Export to File. Note that the menus are contextual, meaning they will change slightly depending on what you have selected. If you don't have a clip active or a sequence loaded, you might not see that option.

All of the new menu changes are highlighted in the "What's New" document found here.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Mar 10 2016 6:11 PM In reply to

I just wanted to let everyone know that while 8.5.1 was released today (March 10th) in my experience the export bug HAS NOT been resolved yet.

There are other fixes you might find helpful, but I just wanted everyone to know, in case you decide to wait for a fix.

-- Kevin

• Thu, Mar 10 2016 7:29 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,444
    • Points 221,250
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thanks Kevin....

Spot on - it isnt fixed yet so wait if you want too but there are a bunch of good fixes in the readme

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Fri, Mar 11 2016 10:06 PM In reply to

• Bruce Dixon
    • Not Ranked
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Points 550

Another Me Too.

We're seeing this issue on several systems we upgraded in the last week. 

With Mac OS 10.11.3 and MC8.5 we are exporting to ProRes Qucktime. More than half the time the export progress bar will hang at a random point. The running time and the remaining time will continue to increment at roughly the same pace. So no matter how long you wait ( we've waited over an hour in some cases ) the export will never reach completion. As others have stated, Command+. does not work no matter how long you hold the keys down, so we have to force-quit. Also in our case, restarting the system was often necessary. Otherwise it seemed that every attempt to export to Quicktime would fail.

Same as Source works when it's an option, but many of our sequences contain XDCAM Long-GOP media or some other deal breaker that disables SaS export.

We had a similar problem with MC 8.4.4 on Mac OS 10.10.5, but in that case the export always popped up an error message and it was never necessary to force quit.

I suspect that these issues are closely related based on reading the previous posts here.

Hoping for a fix in MC 8.5.x soon,

Bruce

We have 6 Media Composer systems. All are running MC 2018.12 and Mac OS X 10.13.x 2 of the MC systems have Mojo DX hardware and the Symphony option ... [view my complete system specs]

Bruce Dixon

EFX Media

Arlington VA 22204

USA

• Mon, Mar 14 2016 8:02 PM In reply to

• sacarmic
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 19
    • Points 220

Thanks for the update, hoping 8.5.2 brings the fix

iMac 2012, 10.11.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 18 2016 9:09 PM In reply to

• Dave Mann
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 55
    • Points 685

Hi,

I had assumed wrongly that 8.5.1 would have fixed the export issue - what I am finding it very difficult to understand is why the export issue is not a high priority. It is an absolute showstopper for us here - the 2 machines that have been upgraded to ElCapitan are now no longer able to run Avid as prev versions dont work on EC.

I have 2 editors now working on Premier Pro on these machines - it is making me wonder why we upgraded our support back in December when we have been waiting several months for this problem to be fixed.

There really is no point in there being lots of other good fixes if the software is unuseable.

I am sure that I am not alone in questioning the wisdom of taking out future support plans.

By the way - I have been an Avid user since the early 90s and this is the very first time I have ever seriously considered moving to a different editing package.

Not sure what to do now as there seems to be no sign of the fix.......?

Dave Mann

Managing Director

Mann Brothers Media Ltd

Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 16GB 1866 MHz DdR3 ECC AMD FirePro D500 3072MB Black Magic Ultrastudio [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 18 2016 9:48 PM In reply to

First there is identifying the cause, then there's building the fix. I have not not yet heard that the bug has been identified that is causing the issue.

Part of the difficulty with this one is while there are common elements, different users are affected differently. For me, I only saw the issue when trying to do custom exports from AMA timelines. Others have issues with all custom exports. Still others have problems with Avid Same as Source files. So I think that adds to the diffculty in figuring out where the root cause is.

But they are working on it.

-- Kevin

• Fri, Mar 18 2016 9:52 PM In reply to

I normally hate these sort of "I'm rage quitting your software" posts, but I have to be honest, at this point I'm sort of in the same boat as Dave.

I too have used Avid my entire career and when it works, there's nothing I'd rather use to cut, but not being able to export an h.264 is a next level show-stopper.  

I'm already paying an Adobe CC sub for Photoshop, After FX and Media Encoder (not to mention a Smoke sub for online and VFX work) - despite *wanting* to cut in Media Composer, it's starting to not seem very sensible.  When everything works I can justify the sub to myself, but dealing with such fundamental flaws as not being able to export an h.264 directly from my timeline, it makes me think - why don't I just do this job start to finish in Smoke? Or download Premiere? (Both of which I'm paying for anyway)

I *love* cutting in Media Composer.  When everything works, it's an absolute pleasure to work in and there's nothing I'd rather use.  But as an editor in 2016, this particular bug is a major, major setback.  Other software is starting to look not just easier and more time efficient, but more sensible financially, too.

Hardware: 5K iMac (late 2015 17,1), 4 GHz i7, 32 GB, M395X w/ 4 GB, Promise Pegasus2 R4 in RAID 5 | Additional monitoring: 2.5K thunderbolt display, Dreamcolor... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 19 2016 12:23 PM In reply to

• Dave Mann
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 55
    • Points 685

Hi Alastair,

Yes I admit that its not a good thing to just be negative as it does not really get you very far and does not help to fix problems!

But - I have been a lifelong Avid supporter and user and feel there is nothing better suited to our needs here than Media Composer.

Weve made huge investments in Avid over the years despite wondering about the pricing plans which dont seem to favour users who have in the past paid a lot of money for the software.

Trouble is we have a number of young really amazing editors here who while loving Avid, also use Pshop, AFX and of course Premier. 

Its the compatibilty and ease of moving media between programmes that makes you think about whether Avid is the best way forward.

We use AMA all the time from C300s, FS7s and even EX Cams with huge amounts of media so its not practical to import and when time is against us (as it always is), exporting direct to h264 into dropbox for the client to get his media back as quickly as is practically possible (which is never quick enough!) is the only way we can work - there is no time allowed for consolidating/transcoding or mixdowns prior to exoprting.

Thank you Kevin for coming back so quickly - I realise this is a difficult problem to get to the bottom of but exports were also broken in 8.4.3 and 8.4.5 which now goes back at least 6 months.

I know that different users have different problems but there is definitely an underlying issue which seems to be common and am hoping that Avid will prioritise this as a matter of extreme urgency.

• Mon, Mar 21 2016 2:19 PM In reply to

• Miles Young
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 6 2013
    • NYC/NC
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Marianna, I'm sure there are lots of other great little fixes in 8.5.1. But if we can't share the video we create with clients, then what's the point?

The fact that 2 major releases of the MC product can't export a simple Quicktime, which is the most common method for sharing video files with clients in 2016, is completely absurd.

I'll continue to waste hours and $$ using workarounds until Avid decides that exporting is a feature important enough to fix. 

Page 7 of 11 (163 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller