Latest post Mon, Jan 9 2017 10:08 PM by Bruce Dixon. 162 replies.
Page 6 of 11 (163 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 19 2016 4:15 AM In reply to

Re: Avid 8.5 Mac taking forever to export files (Actually stops and cannot quit)

Alastair Tye Samson:

it is 1000% definitely not just ama.  if i mix down timeline to dnx and export that to h.264 it still happens.

I just need to offer an apology here.  While replicating this test just now I've realised that whilst I had mixed down my vision, I had not mixed down my audio, so the audio was still only soft imported.  

So far, I have had 100% success at exporting h.264 after mixing down both video and audio.

Hardware: 5K iMac (late 2015 17,1), 4 GHz i7, 32 GB, M395X w/ 4 GB, Promise Pegasus2 R4 in RAID 5 | Additional monitoring: 2.5K thunderbolt display, Dreamcolor... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 19 2016 5:33 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Re: Avid 8.5 Mac taking forever to export files (Actually stops and cannot quit)

Alastair Tye Samson:

I just need to offer an apology here.  While replicating this test just now I've realised that whilst I had mixed down my vision, I had not mixed down my audio, so the audio was still only soft imported.  

So far, I have had 100% success at exporting h.264 after mixing down both video and audio.

Yep  mixdowns can be tricky as can transcoding and consolidation. Especially with mixdowns my workflow is to duplicate the linked seq, create and overlay the mixdowns and then delete all linked media from the timeline completely. Just select all the tracks that don't contain mixdowns and hit delete with nothing selected in the timeline and you can instantly delete all those tracks from your seq. Then you have two copies of yoru seq - a linked copy and a VandA mixdown only.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Fri, Feb 19 2016 5:39 AM In reply to

not tricky - just bloody thoughtless on my part :)

Hardware: 5K iMac (late 2015 17,1), 4 GHz i7, 32 GB, M395X w/ 4 GB, Promise Pegasus2 R4 in RAID 5 | Additional monitoring: 2.5K thunderbolt display, Dreamcolor... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 22 2016 9:19 PM In reply to

• sacarmic
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 19
    • Points 220

HAs there been any update on this issue?

iMac 2012, 10.11.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 23 2016 3:19 PM In reply to

Not yet.  I know they replicated it, but haven't heard if it had been identified and fixed yet.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Feb 23 2016 7:43 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,354
    • Points 220,030
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Yes they were able to reproduce it and it is logged and being addressed.  Not sure when it will come out in a build...

I plan to check Monday.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Feb 24 2016 2:55 PM In reply to

• sedavis
    • Not Ranked
    • Austin, Texas
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,230

Update on my findings for those in a bind.

Creating a mixdown to the desired output (in my case Apple ProRes) will allow me to export Same as Source.

Don't forget to duplicate your time line and make the mixdown there.

Other than this issue, OSX 10.11.3 and MC 8.5 have been running smoothly.

Home Office- Mac Pro 2012, 12 Core. 10.10.5 and OS 10.11.3, MC 8.5; 12 GB RAM, 16 TB internal non RAID. [view my complete system specs]

Don't ask me, I don't know either.

• Thu, Feb 25 2016 7:57 AM In reply to

• Dave Mann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 4 2006
    • London
    • Posts 55
    • Points 685

Same issues for me - it does not matter what length the timeline is or what type of file you try and export to - export works perhaps 10% of the time and Command+. does not work at all.

I use generally use AMA and need v fast turnaround so all other options are out.

I have just reverted back to 8.4.2 and all works perfectly - 8.4.3 and 8.4.5 had similar issues to 8.5

These problems are on several machines all running Yosemite - 1 machine upgraded to El Capitan hence the reason for using 8.5 so unable to revert that one back.

Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 16GB 1866 MHz DdR3 ECC AMD FirePro D500 3072MB Black Magic Ultrastudio [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 25 2016 10:28 AM In reply to

• Dave Mann
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 55
    • Points 685

I'd like to add that its not just an El Capitan issue - I upgraded both a Mac Pro running El Capitan and an iMac running Yosemite to 8.5 and have exactly the same issues on both. Any kind of file export is hit and miss - v ocassionally it works but 95% of the time it stalls and I have to force quit.

8.4.2 is solid, but I had very similar file export issues with 8.4.3 and 8.4.5

Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 16GB 1866 MHz DdR3 ECC AMD FirePro D500 3072MB Black Magic Ultrastudio [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 25 2016 6:24 PM In reply to

I'm wondering if transcoding XAVC-L and Sony Long GOP files to native Avid DNxHR format might not be simpler before starting an edit?  Any thoughts?  I just went back to Avid after using FCP 7 for many years and these export issues are very frustrating.

Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Mar 1 2016 9:27 PM In reply to

• Dave Mann
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 55
    • Points 685

That migth work but unfortunately I have loads of AMA media and dont have time to convert so its not an option

• Tue, Mar 1 2016 10:42 PM In reply to

• Kris Leys
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2014
    • Posts 10
    • Points 145

I just want to chip in and say I'm experiencing the same issues with 8.5 on a MacPro (2013) Mavericks system.

This is exporting a DNX 120 media to a ProRes quicktime.  No AMA media on the timeline.

My successful workaround is a mixdown of both audio and video before export.  YMMV.  Happy bug hunting AVID engineers.

• Wed, Mar 2 2016 12:50 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Dave - are you experiencing the same symptoms as those at the beginning of this thread - ie the export will get to 90-95% and stall.

I only ask because i have Yosemite and 8.5 installed and I'm not experiencing the same issue. Disclaimer - exporting H264 directly from Avid is not my normal workflow.  just did some tests on Yosemite to see if it was definitely 8.5 and El Capitan, but now you're experiencing the issue is on Mavericks as well. 

If you can spare the time grab an SSD, fresh install of Yosemite (not an upgrade) and install Media composer and see if the issue persists. Of course be careful to not erase any of your existing data and backup first. Understand if you don't have time to faff around.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Mar 2 2016 9:44 PM In reply to

Is there any way that the general public could get access to beta releases - in a "use at your own risk" fashion - without having to be part of the beta testing team?  I noticed the beta version 41155 came out today and thought if it were to contain a fix for the issue in this thread, it would be helpful for that to be accessible to our editors so they can export quicktimes again.

Having access to the beta version would also be useful to early adopters and those seeking one of the newer features, but are willing to accept the risk that comes with a beta.  Your beta team may find that bug reporting would be more comprehensive as well, rather than being limited to just the beta testing team.

Thanks!

• Wed, Mar 2 2016 9:50 PM In reply to

• JKL32
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 22 2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 210
    • Points 2,945

seriousrobots:

Is there any way that the general public could get access to beta releases - in a "use at your own risk" fashion - without having to be part of the beta testing team?  I noticed the beta version 41155 came out today and thought if it were to contain a fix for the issue in this thread, it would be helpful for that to be accessible to our editors so they can export quicktimes again.

Having access to the beta version would also be useful to early adopters and those seeking one of the newer features, but are willing to accept the risk that comes with a beta.  Your beta team may find that bug reporting would be more comprehensive as well, rather than being limited to just the beta testing team.

Thanks!

8.5 feels like a beta to me!Big Smile

Avid Media Composer 8.6, BMD UltraStudio Mini Monitor(Desktop Video 10.8), New Mac Pro 8 core, D700, 64g RAM, El Capitan [view my complete system specs]
Page 6 of 11 (163 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller