Latest post Fri, Jan 29 2016 1:44 PM by jef. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 28 2016 1:33 PM

Project settings and Media Creation settings

We are struggling with the Media Creation settings for all our ISIS based projects...

When a user initially creates a project we would really like to have the Media Creation firmly stuck to the project. We are experience that this Media Creation setting is going back to default option most of the times.

We have tried to determine why and when this is happening, change of user, going back and forth between project on the same computer with the same user etc, but have not found why Media Creation setting is going default.

I know that every editor should go through their and all the other settings before starting their work, but it would be such easier to just have some of this settings really stuck to the project.

Perra from Sweden

4 x ISIS 5000/5500 servers (208TB raw storage) 90 Media Composer clients (in four different countries) - 5 x Dell Precision T3400/T5400 - 7 x Dell Vostro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 28 2016 1:42 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,348
    • Points 40,460

Re: Project settings and Media Creation settings

Hi Perra,

First, I do NOT work with Isis, so my idea may be a total loser - or worse!!

But I run into the problem you describe as well.

I wonder if you were to make your Media Creation settings into a Site Setting rather than a Project Setting, if that would work better? You would do that for each workstation as - at least in a non-Isis world - a workstation is a Site.

Bob Russo can probably answer this easily ....

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 1:56 PM In reply to

Hi Jef

This idea has of course striked me and I have tried it, but when you have (like me) around 80 systems to administer, it becomes somewhat hard to deal with.

We have a lot of freelancer editors coming in and also a huge amount of moving around between different projects and computers, and for now we have not streamlined our workflow to just having one house format (like just working in DNxHD 36 for example) so it would be a huge undertaking for me.

I could instruct the editors to really keep this under close eye and so on, but it would be so much easier to have the MC software to behave a little bit better......

Still to this date the MC IS a stand-alone system connected into a network when using the ISIS but without the Interplay. We have been looking into Interplay, but for us as a ordinary post production house and not a news station, it's not benifitial...

But I will keep on trying to find a workaround... Maybe have some sort of script that loads a special Site Setting before starting the MC.

Perra

4 x ISIS 5000/5500 servers (208TB raw storage) 90 Media Composer clients (in four different countries) - 5 x Dell Precision T3400/T5400 - 7 x Dell Vostro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 28 2016 6:17 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,348
    • Points 40,460

Ugh - 80 systems.

Truly getting the Media Creations to Stick would be best ......

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 6:59 PM In reply to

I think there is a way of locking out certain resolutions. That may be an easier way to control things. But yes getting the site settings set on every machine would help.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 11:02 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,243
    • Points 27,700
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Is it possible for you to only give the specific editor R/W to the workspace them need to write to and read access to the rest?

I like having a workspace with all the projects in it so they can be backed up on a regular basis. The issue is everyone must have R/W to it and can accidentally put media on it.

The way I would resolve this is to create a text file called Avid MediaFiles and remove the .txt. Users will receive an error if they try to use the workspace, certainly not ideal but better than filling up the workspace and having to move media around.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Fri, Jan 29 2016 1:40 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,348
    • Points 40,460

Hey Bob,

I think you answered a different thread by accident .....

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Fri, Jan 29 2016 1:44 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,348
    • Points 40,460

Perra Osterlund:

Hi Jef

This idea has of course striked me and I have tried it, but when you have (like me) around 80 systems to administer, it becomes somewhat hard to deal with.

But I will keep on trying to find a workaround... Maybe have some sort of script that loads a special Site Setting before starting the MC.

Perra

One idea comes to mind.  As I understand it, site settings are saved in a folder that is accessable to the user at the OS level.  You could create a variety of these to serve your needs.  Then when a new user / project starts up, you could Remote Desktop into the computer and swap out Site Settings to match the need.

That could save you some time. 

Just scratching my head here.

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller