Latest post Tue, Sep 18 2018 2:05 AM by Lawrence Bradford. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 28 2016 1:26 PM

All these "computer" folders

Hi all

Is there any chance for you developers at Avid to hide these computer named folders in the project folder which is created as soon as a client connects to a project?

When like we, have up to 30-40 different clients connecting or has been connected to a project, it is very cluttered in the project window in MC with all these folders that really don't need to be visible there, it's just containing search data etc for each client.

We have projects that really need a lot of organization in term of having a lot of folders and BIN's, and to have these unusable/unwanted computer folders visible is just very frustrating...

Please put in some code to just hide them from the project window! Please..!

Perra from Sweden

Project window from our Idol project where all the folders beginning with STH is the computer folders.........

Project Window

4 x ISIS 5000/5500 servers (208TB raw storage) 90 Media Composer clients (in four different countries) - 5 x Dell Precision T3400/T5400 - 7 x Dell Vostro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 29 2016 10:17 PM In reply to

Re: All these "computer" folders

This is how MC works, it's not specifically an ISIS issue. Each folder is the preferance file for that specific computer for the project. You can delete them, things like the window arrangement will be lost and revert to the default.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Fri, Jan 29 2016 10:56 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 209
    • Points 2,235

Why not figure out a way to put them in "settings" with all the other settings, then? Seems silly for them to be this way and I agree is distracting from bin management for actual editing. Yes we can just ignore it but it seems sloppy and unnecessary to store preferences in the Bins tab.

Media Composer 2018.5 / OS 10.13.5 27" iMac [4.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB ram, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB] [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 29 2016 10:56 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 209
    • Points 2,235

That being said...I'd rather have audio dupe detection than for avid to spend any time on this :)

Media Composer 2018.5 / OS 10.13.5 27" iMac [4.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB ram, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB] [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 2 2016 12:54 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 492
    • Points 5,665
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

I'm with you Perra :)

It's an annoying waste of bin view space and it would be nice to be able to hide them or have them appear in some other tab view like info.

Nigel

ISIS 5500, with Interplay Production bundle, mainly MC 8.6.1 & PT 12.5.1 on Mac OS X.11.3 with BM Mini-Monitors and AJA T-taps. Running on 2013 Mac... [view my complete system specs]

Less IS More!

• Thu, Feb 4 2016 12:02 AM In reply to

+1 since Unity

Can you guys just add a code that ignores bay folders? It already ignores some project related folders.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 4 2016 2:29 AM In reply to

+1.  There should be a way to keep these hidden - there's no benefit to seeing them, especially as they start appearing within other folders when you pull a bin from another project.   I see no upside to seeing them, but plenty of downside - valuable screen space taken up, clutter, confusion around which folders are which.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 7 2016 9:19 PM In reply to

• Greg Cohan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 9 2015
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 85
    • Points 980

I know this post is a little old but incase it helps.

We name ever system starting with a "z".  So if it is Edit 14 we will name it zEdit14.  This way all the bay folders are automaticly sorted to the bottom of the window and out of the editors imediate way.

27 Systems all running MC 8.7 on OS 10.11.5, ISIS 5500 SD 4.7.4 client 4.7.7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 7 2016 9:39 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,108
    • Points 22,670

Nice work around... I for one would like to highlight a folder and hide it from view from any bin

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Mon, Mar 7 2016 9:54 PM In reply to

The "z" method has been around since the Unity days. That in itself should be enough for Avid to fix this.

Second, the "z" has its limits. Works great 95% of the time, until you have bins that start with "z" or personal laptops owned by executive producers which they refuse to rename.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 7 2016 10:24 PM In reply to

... or, at least allow moving them into a folder.  But, yeah, hiding them would be nice.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Mar 17 2016 8:57 AM In reply to

• MichaelJM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 24 2009
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85

+1000

Just adding my voice to the choir. I really don't understand why after so many years this is still a problem. Adding a z is an ok workaround but it's not a solution. Please fix this Avid.

In a Mac environment I was wondering if adding a period to the front of the computer name might hide it from the Avid project but I'm not in a position to test it. Probably a little risky and I tend to think it wouldn't work.

• Fri, Dec 23 2016 10:21 AM In reply to

• Freddy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 5 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 253
    • Points 3,010
    • Avid Employee

I'm Adding this info here, in case someone stumbles onto this thread..

Changed in Media Composer v8.6.5

Media Composer Generated Folders

When you access a shared project, Media Composer generates a folder to hold certain system data. These folders were not designed to be customer facing folders, but they appeared in the Bins tab of the Project window for users in a shared project. Therefore, if you had a large number of users working in a shared project, the number of folders you would see in the list was quite long. With this release, these Media Composer generated folders are filtered out so the Bin list in the Project Window is more manageable.

http://www.freddylinks.com <-- Find EVERYTHING Avid and Tutorials there. Probably the most comprehensive Avid only webpage with over 2000+ Links to Avid Video Tutorials and Avid Information for Media Composer, NewsCutter, Symphony, Interplay, ISIS, Unity MediaNetwork, ProTools, Avid Artist Series. Completely free of fees, registrations, and ads.

• Wed, Dec 28 2016 5:22 PM In reply to

In addition to this, Media Composer 8.7 adds the new option "Skip prompts to save locked bins on Auto-Save" in Bin Settings window. This allows the prompts to be disabled that appear when saving locked bins during Auto-save. 

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Wed, Aug 2 2017 12:36 AM In reply to

We are on 8.6.5 and these junk folders are still appearing in the project window. At the finder level there appears to be nothing in them. The folders that DO contain files are hidden from view.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller