Latest post Wed, Mar 15 2017 1:12 PM by NEO_AMiGA. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 31 2015 12:56 PM

• Julien Tanay
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 31 2015
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Python library for interacting with Interplay

Hello there, 

I'm currently developing a Python 2.7+/3.2+ library for interacting with Interplay WS in an easy and pythonic way. Here at CANAL+, it is used in several projects that communicate with Interplay WS (automation scripts, web portals, batch processing, etc...) and I recently added a CLI utility which enable us to send commands and queries to Interplay WS directly from the command line.

Here is my point : I'd like to open source my work and make it available to anyone who whants to automate stuff with Python and Avid Systems. It's well tested, documented and I try to add features as often as I can. 

Do you (the community, or especially the moderators here) know any restrictions (legal ones ?) that may apply ? I mean, the entire code is my own work; but it directly talks with Avid Systems. Think of it as a ready-to-use Python binding for Avid Interplay.

Thanks for your answers,

Happy new year :)

Bests regards,

Julien

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jan 4 2016 9:37 PM In reply to

• robg
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Tewksbury, MA
    • Posts 492
    • Points 5,575
    • Avid Developer Moderator
      Avid Employee

Re: Python library for interacting with Interplay

Julien,

We are considering your request and will get back to you soon.

Cheers,

- Rob

• Tue, Jan 5 2016 9:36 AM In reply to

Julien,

Do you have any site or documentation showing some aspects of the functionality you have build?

Regards,

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Jan 5 2016 9:46 AM In reply to

• Julien Tanay
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Hi, 

The documentation is unfortunately still private. Regarding functionnalities, I didn't port every functions of the webservices (yet).

As of now you can search Interplay, get a folder content, create a shortlist, get/set attributes of an asset, send an asset to playback / workgroup (and check if it is ready to do so) and a bunch of other functions.

Speaking of aspects, the lib try to be as user-friendly as possible (with user="python developper").

Regards,

• Tue, Jan 5 2016 1:10 PM In reply to

Hi Julien,

I'm not a developer but I've been setting up other 3rd party intergrators with Interplay through WS. From that experience I have started being interested in tools that allow a more 'custom' approach.

If and when you are able to share any info I would like to learn more. 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Feb 24 2016 9:43 AM In reply to

• Julien Tanay
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Hi Jeroen, 

Unfortunately and according to Avid End User Licence the programmatic features offered by Avid Systems are considered confidential (maybe to avoid being copied by other software vendors).

If this changes in any way later, I'll be willing to share some of my work. Until then, only my current employer will be able to use it.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I can't go against Avid decision.

Regards,

Julien

• Fri, Apr 8 2016 5:00 PM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 30 2009
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 59
    • Points 690

Oh. Wow. That's a huge bummer. So much for Avid's openness. =(

To have a python connection with interplay and preferably even a regular Media Composer would be so awesome. It's a hassle to integrate and use Media Composer in a pipeline today and we're currently fighting with how we should handle it in a VFX pipeline. We'd like to have connection to FTRACK so we can create vfx-shots directly in MC. Possibility to replace and version up shots in the MC bin/timeline. But instead we have to resort to the woraround to hire 500 assistants. =/ 

Avid, come one. Open this up and make it more dev friendly and encourage initiatives like this. It would do you hell of a lot more good than bad.

Cheers.  

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Wed, Mar 15 2017 1:00 PM In reply to

I would welcome it too. I'm doing the same thing automating with python. ATM I have a Python/Django system that can do all things related to managing files on storage with the os module, some FFMPEG transcoding, creating projects and templates and so on. As far as AMA goes it works OK with Avid, it interfaces with native editors and tools such as GV Edius, FinalCut, Premiere, Resolve and any other software working with native formats and open standards much better than Media Composer  - Eg. in GV's Edius or Final Cut I can set up a timeline in any format with any number of clips on the timeline complete with text and even basic FX's in one click - even premiere is just a zipped readable file - but as far as Avid & Interplay is concerned I'm still in the dark ages.

I can create projects with bin templates, but I have no control of what goes in bins or into timelines as yet. As far as I can tell there is no way to do this, although I've been reverse engineering the binary. I can't even get basic metadata, such as an idea of how big my current projects are without having to rely on an interface based app like Access or Marquis to scan the database and work out which files belong to the project. Moving media around with Interplay is a nightmare.

I would like to...

- Get an idea of how much storage each project and it's media is taking up (can already do this with other NLE's easily because they allow you to manage media yourself)

- Get a list of all mxfs referenced by the project. (as I do project/project cross reference analysis in a DB)

- Check in or remove all Avid bins in a project from Interplay

- Create/Delete and modify Interplay users

- Delete Interplay media and orphans

- Create bins with custom content

- Create timelines with custom content.

ATM I can do all this directly with other NLE's - just not directly with Avid Media Composer, I have to resort to eleborate workarounds to get past the media management tools and binary formats.

But maybe I'm missing something - any help would be appreciated.

• Wed, Mar 15 2017 1:12 PM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 30 2009
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 59
    • Points 690

I talked to a few key peoples at last Avid Connect about it. It's highly unlikely that they'll ever open up for sharing python/dev work like this. Seems to be a descision very high up and something about it breaking the EULA. 

My only advice is to appy pressure at Avid Connect when you meet the managers and/or devs. 

Sorry for the bad news. =(

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller